Project Starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Starter

Alright i dont know if i'm in the right section to post this but i believe so. I currently have a 2000 4.0 4dr ex. I really want to do the SAS project...but i'm not sure if its a smart idea. this is my daily driver. it sees the freeway also. ik i can make it work and be safe but it all comes to a cost. I'm not sure if this is THE RIGHT VEHICLE TO START WITH? i toyed with broncos and earlier ford trucks to make myself a good off roader/ dd. if you could start with ANY ford vehicle to make your daily driver/weekend rock crawler what would it be? thanks, nathan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If i had it to do all over again i would not change a single thing. I build my explorer as a dd/wheeler. It has been the best drive and wheeling truck ever. I could not ask for more.

It is still my dd and i drive it to my business a 2 or so times a week around 70 miles. When i was in college i drove 15 miles hwy every day to and from school...

However here is my advise. Please take the time and go ready the solid axle registrys. They will help you out and give you a ton of ideas to plan off of.

I would go with a 95-97 Ranger super-cab. Newer style interior. But older suspension.

the only reason i'd go with one of those is the fact they didn't have ifs. i figured i'd be a step ahead of the game. i've been reading sas registeries for about 2 months now. seems like a d44 with leaf springs up front and a soa in back seems like a decent route. i live in minnesota and am leaving for college in wyoming (wyotech) in october. its 888 miles and this exploder has to make it there and back a few times haha.

mine is a dd. and it rides better then it did stock. lol

im not sure quite yet but if all goes right i'd love to stick 37's under it...

WOW almost 900 miles.

When i first built my rig in 2006 i drove it 400+ miles to Badlands orv and wheeled and then drove it back... It was a pretty good ride.

heres my thoughts, tell me what you think. i can sell my explorer for $4000 easy in my town. i know of an 1996 explorer with a blown trans and high mileage for $900obo. i have a mustang 5.0 engine sittin in my garage. put that in, put a trans in and a decent transfer case. then put the rest of the left over money and another like $3000 into lift/tires? what do you think? i need input

Back