Project tough DD

2stroke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Annandale, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Sport
Months ago I was planning on building my B4000 into a tough little daily driver. It has been absolutely flawless, outside of a mistake totally my fault. Still I have not been all that impressed. I have never been a fan of pickups for anything outside of work (indispensable when I worked on a farm), but a tiny 6' bed is not very useful. The regular cab is barely enough for my 6'5" self, and there is no room for anything else with a passenger. The bed is half full of just essential things like a jack, oils, emergency kit, etc. Also, anything left in the bed of a pickup will be beat up, so nothing valuable can go in back. I find myself missing an explorer more every day. The kicker is the fact that it just sits there and spins in mud. The front end is so much heavier than the rear it nose dives, and I have done all I can to add weight in the rear short of having sand bags all year, totally taking the bed out of action.

Anyway, I have a fully compete 2nd gen axle with 4.10 gears and LS. I also have everything to re-gear a dana 35 to 4.10. I am thinking I will save up some money and buy a rust free explorer from the south. My brother moved to Virginia and I could go and visit him. Plenty of perfect condition first gens on craigslist. I am hoping for a 4x4 1993 4 door and 5 speed manual, although a 2 door would be ok with me. 1994 would be my second choice, I simply want to avoid EGR, yet retain sequential fuel injection and better heads. My only fear is driving a 23 year old truck I know nothing about 20+ hours back to Minnesota. I hate flying, so hopefully I can convince someone to drive out with me and bring tons of tools.

I am almost certain this will happen, its just a matter of time. In the meantime, I would like to toss around a few Ideas. I have a 94 explorer slated to be mud toy, and an 84 k5 blazer for a cool truck (would serve as may main vehicle while I build the new explorer), so this new one would be my daily driver. I like the engine just as they are, and the manual tranny's are just fine. I don't need another huge project, so just a lift and bigger tires, along with associated mods.

For the rear axle I have brackets for SOA, but I'm not certain I want to go that big. On an explorer that equates to what, 5" of lift in the rear? I would be ok with 33" tires, but no bigger. 33's with 4.10 would be equivalent to around 3.60 on stock tires. Not that bad, but 4.56 would be much better.

After some more looking, I think the perfect combo for me is 3" lift and 32 tires. I also love the look of the rear end slightly higher than the front. The pictures below would be the ideal truck for me. 32's with 4.10 is almost identical to stock on 3.73, which I always found to be a great combo.

Anyway, I love to ramble, so how about some actual talk. SOA vs SUA, are there any real pro's/cons? I like the look of SOA, as well as having less to snag on stuff. I have the stuff to do a SOA, but I would then have to lower it again somehow to obtain around a 3" total lift (I would shoot for more 4" in rear, and 3" in front). Is there any easy way to lower a SOA suspension? Maybe shorter shackles?

BTW, these pictures are from another member on this forum. The post was dated 2004...
kitty%20korner.jpg

side.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've since found that tax returns were favorable to me, so I am in the market for a first gen. I found one about 9 hours away with no visible rust, no problems, low price. I just hope its still there when I can make it out that far. I missed a smoking deal a few weeks ago.

I am thinking I will go with 33" tires. I already have the stuff to do a SOA in the rear, and then I would need a 4" lift kit for the front. I could always put spacers under the springs if 4" isn't quite enough. I figure I can sell both my 4.10 ring and pinion or maybe even trade with someone who has 4.56. Should be no money lost there, only time.

My biggest concerns are I'll probably need to have the driveshaft lengthened, I'll need to come up with shocks, and also deal with longer brake lines. Brake lines are easy for me, if I can find long rubber hoses. The shocks, I'm not a fan of the overpriced lift kit stuff like rancho. I would rather go with Monroe, especially if I can get the load-adjust coil spring version for the rear.

Edit: after some more research, I don't think I want to do all that for a daily driver. I'll just buy the spring under perches and put those on. Like an idiot, I already cut the stock perches off thinking I was going spring over. Instead I am thinking of going lift shackles in the rear, and I will add spacers under the coils to where I want it. I have new coil springs for the front, I might buy new leafs for the rear. 31" tires would just make life so much easier, anything bigger and it turns into a rear project.

My advice is to get new stock leafs and the Warrior shackles and be done with it.

I'd advise you not to do what I have done -- order a set of 2" lift leafs (OME-36's) and you'll find yourself STILL waiting for the leaf packs 6 months later. :roll:

My advice is to get new stock leafs and the Warrior shackles and be done with it.

I'd advise you not to do what I have done -- order a set of 2" lift leafs (OME-36's) and you'll find yourself STILL waiting for the leaf packs 6 months later. :roll:

I'm assuming you ordered the CS042 springs.. Where'd you order them from so I can know not to go through them.. I'm looking to pick up a set (I wore our Rick's old ome-36 springs quite a long time ago) and the stock springs + war-153 shackles just aren't lasting with my SOA.

~Mark

I'm assuming you ordered the CS042 springs.. Where'd you order them from so I can know not to go through them.. I'm looking to pick up a set (I wore our Rick's old ome-36 springs quite a long time ago) and the stock springs + war-153 shackles just aren't lasting with my SOA.

~Mark

4wheelparts.

Do you know any other place that sells them?

4wheelparts.

Do you know any other place that sells them?

The only 2 big places I knew of were desert rat and 4 wheel parts.. I'm just surprised it's taking so long

~Mark

I'm not big on the lift shackles. I've seen reports of lessened handling, and I think they look goofy. If the only springs you can get reliably are stock and 4" lift, maybe I'll just put new stock on all around and do a 2-3" body lift. I'm just having troubles finding a clean explorer. There are plenty down south but I'm not sure how that would work out. I could drive, but it would require time off work, or I could fly and hope the truck makes it back with no repairs (no tools). If anyone on here bought that red 94 sport from fargo a few weeks ago, I would pay you way more than you bought it for.

The only 2 big places I knew of were desert rat and 4 wheel parts.. I'm just surprised it's taking so long

~Mark

I'm going to call them (4Wheelparts in Memphis) again next week. I put half of the money down way back when...so...I'll either be getting my springs, or getting my money.

I'm not big on the lift shackles. I've seen reports of lessened handling, and I think they look goofy. If the only springs you can get reliably are stock and 4" lift,

The CS042R / OME-36 leaf pack gives 2" of lift -- it's another option. Although I'm having trouble acquiring mine...

The reason you stated (lessened handling) with spring-under is one reason why I'm going with 2" lift springs rather than shackles. I used to run shackles and sure there were times where it felt a little iffy, but it may feel that way with springs, too. Anyway, I'm hoping that the good reports by Rick and Mark and others who have run them about the OME springs pay dividends IF I can ever get them in.

That pic is of a mono leaf soa conversion, which looks good but the mono leaf won't last on a 4 door. Your best bet might be stock 4 door leafs with a long add a leaf. It will take away from the smoothness of the ride but it will help improve handling and load capacity. Then you can match the front with a few washers under the coil seat. If you want to go bigger later then you can do a body lift.

Well, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying mr cribb's 2 door sport, so 4 door leafs in the rear should give me what I am looking for. Then I'll follow with a body lift and 31's. Mr cribb already did the work I ever wanted to do to one anyway.

~Mark

Mark -- wanted to let you know, I just picked up my CS042R / OME36 leafs today (5-14-16). I ordered them in September 2015.

Apparently, the holdup was, that they were in the warehouse in California, and no one elected to call me or ship them to the Memphis store. I had to drive down there (it's 2.5 hours away) and get them fired up. They call me two (2) days later, telling me they're in the warehouse in CA and will be shipped to Memphis.

Anyway, I now have them, and can finally FINALLY get them on there, along with Brian1's u-bolt plates. I'd suggest you go a different route on your CS042R's. Although maybe, since ARB made my set (they're in Australia) they have the production line going again because of me, and could make you a set quickly. haha.

Back