Project Vehicle Need Advice...Help me build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vehicle Need Advice...Help me build

I have just purchased a 1991 limited. I want to take it to the 5.0 v8. I understand that certain motors go in easier, tell me what you can about which ones are easiest. Any links to where I can find these motors new or used would be helpful. And any advice you can give someone starting out on a project vehicle.:hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out my site. I have started putting detailed information on there regarding the different engines. It is far from done so just ask questions and there are alot of people here that can answer them.

Dead Link Removed

91 limited? I never knew model year 1991 had a Limited edition......??!! I thought XL, XLT, and Eddie Bauer were only offered. Just interested.......

I am used to working on jeeps...

Its not that I am lazy but I just started a new job and do not get a lot of time to surf. Can somone break down the Pros and Cons of a Cobra 5.0, And also if you would be able to point out which is the easiest 5.0HO engine is the easiest to drop in the 94 limited. I want a bada$$ explorer to go with my bada$$ Jeep. I need hauling room and power to pull my jeep to MOAB. This is going to be my B!+ch truck. I need serious power I wnt to smoke the $hit out of the tires I will be upgrading to a 9 inch 30+ spline rearend. I am looking at putting a 6" lift kit under my lil toy, this way I can run 35" This lil baby going to play as well at Moab... I need to find some bellyup skidplates for this Wh0r3. Any advice apprecited.

Well if that is what you want, I would suggest finding either the 91-93 T-Bird/Cougar engine or the 94-95 Mustang engine(wiring is alot simplier on T-Bird/Cougar). If possible find a 94-95 Corba engine. Then stroke it to 347ci, drop some TFS heads, and Edelbrock Proformer intake, a Motorsport Z303 cam and a stud girdle. :hammer: Then build an AOD with a wide ratio gear set and put an Atlas II transfercase behind it and I think you would be pleased. :D:D:D:D:D:D

(actually if your going that far it doesn't matter which vehicle you pull the engine out of.)

Well, what engine you use depends on how much money youve got to spend on the whole conversion!! Would highly reccomend using a 92-93 T-bird/cougar 5.0 or 94-95 Mustang 5.0 due to their curved intakes and low profile valve covers! Also, you need to consider what your emission guidlines are....do you live in a stste with emission guidlines? If so, you will have to use a 94+ 5.0 engine......which limits you to the 94-95 mustang 5.0s and 96+ Explorer V8's......which is also a good engine to use. Heck, it was MADE to fit in an explorer.

Good Luck!
Al

Back