Project Vulture | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Project Vulture

DemonMudder

Muddin' Till Death
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Exploder XLT
The turning radius definitely is nicer! Ford is good with that in general to be honest

Wish ya luck on the rust

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Get rid of the ads!
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!
. First register on the forum, then join the Elite Explorers to get rid of the ads!

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
iirc, and i dont remeber this too well, but iirc w forscan if you go into the GEM(?) settings you can backdoor the ABS to make it read for a different gear ratio & tire size... or at least i think... and it probably requites the extended license...

Stynx

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT Sport
Great thread. I sorta kinda want to do a lift on my 05 and add big tires but with an automatic and independent suspension it doesn't seem worth it, so I will live vicariously though this thread.

DintDobbs

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4x4
@DemonMudder Agreed, and thanks - there's a body shop in town that has me covered, just need to save up some cash after that axle work! When I'm not lazy, I'll put the flares back on and get some proper pics.

@Fix4Dirt I was just going to have the local Ford dealer reprogram it; for one use in a life time, I don't feel the need to buy specialized equipment. I know of several tuners that can edit such factors; hopefully any who find this thread will find your recommendation useful!

@Stynx No need, just buy a 1st or 2nd-gen and join in the fun! Never underestimate the auto/IFS combination, just know its limitations and use it well. IFS is good for moderate speed, low-flex applications. If you do decide to lift and wheel your 3rd gen, there are many threads that cover the right and wrong ways to do it, and things to look out for!

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
@DemonMudder Agreed, and thanks - there's a body shop in town that has me covered, just need to save up some cash after that axle work! When I'm not lazy, I'll put the flares back on and get some proper pics.

@Fix4Dirt I was just going to have the local Ford dealer reprogram it; for one use in a life time, I don't feel the need to buy specialized equipment. I know of several tuners that can edit such factors; hopefully any who find this thread will find your recommendation useful!

@Stynx No need, just buy a 1st or 2nd-gen and join in the fun! Never underestimate the auto/IFS combination, just know its limitations and use it well. IFS is good for moderate speed, low-flex applications. If you do decide to lift and wheel your 3rd gen, there are many threads that cover the right and wrong ways to do it, and things to look out for!
idk for me it didnt need no special tools, i just used forscan and my usual obd scanner...

DemonMudder

Muddin' Till Death
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Exploder XLT
Some scanners are more capable than others, for example: I use a cheap little one just to get the codes, nothing more. My mom has a more advanced one that tells what the code is, can read everything on the vehicle, don't think it can do the speedo though.

DintDobbs

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4x4
@Fix4Dirt Perhaps I should have expressed this more clearly; to me, already having a self-contained OBD-II scanner that reads all the codes all 3 of my vehicles have ever had, spending more money on another thing that can do what I can already do, plus reprogram the speedometer reading, would be both a redundant expenditure, and an unnecessary use of funds and space. "Specialized equipment" means anything that can modify the computer settings, as opposed to a regular code reader, which as I described, I already have. There are dozens of quick and fairly cheap options available for those who do want to buy specialized equipment to change these settings; and for them, Forscan would be an example of the appropriate specialized equipment. However, I have a solution which does not require the purchase of my own specialized equipment. For those who do such modifications as changing tire sizes and changing gear ratios regularly, the expense in buying said equipment would likely be common sense (which is probably why many dealerships have said specialized equipment already, and reprogram at customers' request for a small fee).

@DemonMudder Same, my $20 OxGord reads all the codes I've ever encountered. I particularly looked for a scanner that doesn't require any external equipment (like a phone, tablet, computer, or other auxiliary electronic device) in order to use. I need my stuff to work when and where I'm going to use it, and interfacing with other equipment raises issues that I can't afford to deal with. My car hobby is expensive enough, I can't have expensive electronics too!

DintDobbs

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4x4
Took her out for a run on some asphalt, gravel, dirt, sand, and mud this week with a pal. The torque control is very, very different. The shorter gears make it feel a lot steadier in all conditions off road, just as I expected, and it crawls its way out of just about any thing, thanks to slower, less jumpy accelerations. Traction is almost infinite, but stopping in mud is still doom, no matter what your gears are. We wrapped a tow strap around the front tire and reeled it in like a winch. Don't do that if you're really stuck, because it will strain your hubs.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
Took her out for a run on some asphalt, gravel, dirt, sand, and mud this week with a pal. The torque control is very, very different. The shorter gears make it feel a lot steadier in all conditions off road, just as I expected, and it crawls its way out of just about any thing, thanks to slower, less jumpy accelerations. Traction is almost infinite, but stopping in mud is still doom, no matter what your gears are. We wrapped a tow strap around the front tire and reeled it in like a winch. Don't do that if you're really stuck, because it will strain your hubs.
jealous of your 5.13s and 33s... eve thogh i have the sohc, i wish i had a bit mroe than 31s and 3.73s... but who am i to complain!!! iirc theres peoole with 33s and 3.27 :(

DemonMudder

Muddin' Till Death
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Exploder XLT
jealous of your 5.13s and 33s... eve thogh i have the sohc, i wish i had a bit mroe than 31s and 3.73s... but who am i to complain!!! iirc theres peoole with 33s and 3.27 :(
jeez that gearing...33s on 3.27s?? How does that truck even move??? Got to be zero get up and go in the slightest with that, even with a 5.0! Even the 3.73s wouldn't enjoy the 33s very much, the 4.10s and 33s make a good pair from what I've seen though

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
jeez that gearing...33s on 3.27s?? How does that truck even move??? Got to be zero get up and go in the slightest with that, even with a 5.0! Even the 3.73s wouldn't enjoy the 33s very much, the 4.10s and 33s make a good pair from what I've seen though
🤣 some people have parience thats for sure!!! if i get 33s im getting 4.56s... love tractor torque