Project X = Wheel Bearing Issues | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project X = Wheel Bearing Issues

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stage 8 will not work, it IS the hub that is too small.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43165&stc=1&d=1193611295

I forgot the code for pics so click on that.

Also on spindles I've noticed the following (and made some mistakes) so this is everythign I know in a nutshell

1) if you tighten the inside too much you will basically weld your bearings to your spindle. You gotta be a dumbass to get it this tight (like I was about 7 years ago)

2) usually the loose outer nut is from the drivers side because the wheel spins in the direction to loosen the wheel

3) when they back off it will typically wear the tab off the middle washer, usually not enough to ruin the threads on the spindle, but this can occur

4) a really bad scenario isn't losing a wheel, but your c-clip on the outer axle is basically mushroomed by the splined washer that goes over the shaft. I've had to cut the washer off because it has been so damaged.

5) I no longer use a torq wrench, I use wisdom and the force. For a small fee I will share this.

I'm used to doing this WITH the caliper on, note there will be much less resistance with the caliper off.

While tightening the inner nut with the socket and wrench I spin the rotor while seating the bearings, get it just about to the point where it won't spin.

Back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn and rotor will spin loosly and free.

Tighten just a teeeeeny weeeny bit so that when you spin the rotor like the wheel from "Wheel of Fortune" (or wait, is it the one from "Price is Right"?) there is some resistance, but it will spin about an inch or two on it's own.

Insert washer with tab on spindle and line up hole on stud from inner nut (sometimes you need to flip the washer over to get it to line up. Make an effort to place that tab towards the left of the groove so it will not loosen up at all.

Take the outer nut and tighten down as much as you can. At this point I grab a punch or screwdriver and wedge that in the groove from the inner between the lug studs. In theory I'm almost loosening the inner while tightening the outer. The idea here is to keep an eye on the inner, sometimes you will see it tighten as you tighten the outer. I will smack it back into position if it does shift.

(side note from BKennedy, another Forum regular who has a lot of time on a D35 TTB- he barely tightens the inner, then watches it tighten while he spins the outer. I have not tried this theory)

On my nuts the tab and little prong were both broken off. Upon my install mine have held up pretty good. The main point is to keep an eye on it (like every 500 miles) especially if you are rattling it wheelin or running some wobbly vibrating tires. I've had a lot less issues when I started tightening bearings by feel over what a spec book says. I may be 5 lbs over, I may be 25, but if you go too tight you'll seize up the bearings within about 15 miles. That's pretty close to home to get it fixed LOL.

Also heard Green lock-tite was the most high strenth.

BONUS ROUND- check your races if they spin in the rotor the rotor is deemed "bad"

Replace rotor....OR....backyard fix. Take out race, pound about ten dimples on rotor around where the race sits to "dimple" and raise the surface. Slop some green locktite on the surface. Install new races, pound in and hope that you did it right. Races shouldn't spin, they are pretty easy to pound out with a selection of punches and a nice 3lbs hammer.

ok, your talking about the stage 8 nuts. I thought you meant you couldnt use the d44 spindle nuts in a d35.

...i say we have a tech class at truck haven..

...i offer up my project X for the fix...i do need a spindle nut, maybe a spindle nut set for one side if someone has a spare...my prob is the right side and from what i can gather it's been a problem from 2 yrs before i got it...

...i invested in a spindle nut socket and an 18" breaker to get this thing back to normal i hope...we'll see tomorrow...i couldn't find any spindle nuts so i'm just going to tighten what i got till i get back and can wait 5 business days for one...i'm going to check back with pep boys as they say they are 28 bucks and az was 46...:scratch:

...napa was closed by the time i got back...:(

....i might stop at that huge jy out in palm desert we found last trip and see if i can get a couple set's of spares....

....i might stop at that huge jy out in palm desert we found last trip and see if i can get a couple set's of spares....

I have been wanting to stop back by there too.:D

...let me know, i'm going in the a.m....;)

...i am working on the truck right now and i just put the right side back together as is...i decided to look at the drivers side and it was loose but weird...the outer has lost the indexing pin and was backed out about 2 turns...the inner nut was snug like it was suppose to be....:scratch:

...i hope to make it thru this weekend with the current bearing and fix it up when i get back...now that it is tight i got to do a hillbilly alignment as the last trip whacked it pretty good...:D

...i am working on the truck right now and i just put the right side back together as is...i decided to look at the drivers side and it was loose but weird...the outer has lost the indexing pin and was backed out about 2 turns...the inner nut was snug like it was suppose to be....:scratch:

the outer doesnt have an indexing pin.... the inner is suppose to be the one with the pin.

...let me know, i'm going in the a.m....;)

I can't make it since i have to work tommorrow but lemme know if they still have any of the rancho shocks left out there out there:D

...i hope to make it thru this weekend with the current bearing and fix it up when i get back...now that it is tight i got to do a hillbilly alignment as the last trip whacked it pretty good...:D

I whack out my alignment too but stil;l have'nt fixed it hmmm "other" problems arose that were alittle more important to fix :thumbsup:

...did i mention i'm dislexic...??? :D

...i dropped off the jack at my buddy's house and guess what, i had to go back and tighten everything up...i'm counting this as installer error as the inner was loose and the outer was fine...i got to check it in the morning...

My buddy's F-150 that we're working on right now has the same problem with it's TTB D44. We put a set of calipers on the spindle threads where the tab washer fits, and the diameter of the spindle at that point is slightly less than it's supposed to be. We think it's from a previous owner having the spindle washer tab spin on the spindle and it took out a small amount of threads, which allows the tab washer to spin under torque.

I think I'll try welding the tab a little tomorrow to see if it fixes the problem...:thumbsup:

...thats what i was saying earlier...plus now, i'm watching it like a hawk when before i wasn't aware of it...i will probably do a new spindle or find a fix in the near future...
...the good news is i found some cheap bearings, 20 bucks a set till i get this resolved...:D

...thats what i was saying earlier...plus now, i'm watching it like a hawk when before i wasn't aware of it...i will probably do a new spindle or find a fix in the near future...
...the good news is i found some cheap bearings, 20 bucks a set till i get this resolved...:D

Just keep a real good eye on it. I jack mine up once a month and just give the tire a good shake.

...i'm watching it like a hawk...:D

Thats what i have been doing. I have only replaced one set of bearings on the side that does not have a prob due to water damage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...nope, i'm keeping them all to myself...:D...j/k

...i got them at autozone...they have timkens which i've been putting in but i looked at there computer and said,"what's these for 9.99???" they look just like them and are in stock...for what i'm going thru they fit the ticket at less than half price...

...also, i tried to get a spindle nut socket and all the parts stores said i had to order one, even autozone...i walked back to the socket sets and happened to see they carry them in stock and they don't even show up on the computer...i want to say it was like 17 bucks out the door and it says right on it, for 93-94 explorer w/manual hubs...;)

Back