Project "You want to take what to Moab!?" Winch, Bumpers, Sliders and more | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project "You want to take what to Moab!?" Winch, Bumpers, Sliders and more

You're probably right, but I'm thinking it isn't just the 33" tires that are making the truck work so much harder. I carry spare parts, tools, recovery gear and have added a steel winch bumper (and winch) in the front and a steel bumper, spare tire rack, and fuel can in the rear. It all adds up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're probably right, but I'm thinking it isn't just the 33" tires that are making the truck work so much harder. I carry spare parts, tools, recovery gear and have added a steel winch bumper (and winch) in the front and a steel bumper, spare tire rack, and fuel can in the rear. It all adds up.
Oh dang, yeah all that adds up, but I would think 4.56’s would cut down your highway speeds, unless you don’t drive on the interstate. I am however, completely surrounded by interstates, state highways, just asphalt and concrete in general. I have to be able to drive on all of it, to include boat ramps for my bass boat, but I also have a strong itch to get off road, do some hunting again, and maybe hit the dunes that are just a few hours away.

Excellent, just excellent!

300A0736-ED84-4872-8CD1-2614BA8EECD7.jpeg

Not an exciting update but my optima red top finally died after 9 year so I swapped in a spare yellow top for a bit more recovery potential with the draw of the winch.

Oh dang, yeah all that adds up, but I would think 4.56’s would cut down your highway speeds, unless you don’t drive on the interstate. I am however, completely surrounded by interstates, state highways, just asphalt and concrete in general. I have to be able to drive on all of it, to include boat ramps for my bass boat, but I also have a strong itch to get off road, do some hunting again, and maybe hit the dunes that are just a few hours away.
You can order them on Amazon.

Screenshot_20221203-205112_Chrome.jpg

I've got 4.10s in mine now. I am only running 33's but I'm considering 4.56 gears, not so much due to tire size but as the weight of the truck increases (full size spare, steel front and rear bumpers, winch, spare tire rack, 5-gallon fuel can, spare parts and tools...) it needs all the help it can get to haul all that around.

Back