• Register Today It's free!

Projector Head Lights

rabbit91

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 LIMITED V8 SAS 35s
Looking at getting projectors for my X because my stock lights are very clouded over but would like to see some pics of more explorers with them and if you can answer a couple questions:

1) Are projectors street legal? Im canadian so not sure if that makes a difference

2) What is the difference over stock?

3) If you had to buy headlights again would you go the same route or something different? back to stock? HIDs?

I have been eyeing these ones up for awhile.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-95-01...rd|Model:Explorer&hash=item5407cc963a&vxp=mtr

Thanks in advance for the replies

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they are legal just fine and brighter look great and i am getting a set soon make sure u re aim after install

if they dont say "D.O.T." on them, and you have a cop on a mission, you might have problems..

I've thought of doing this bit wondered if it was worth it and wondered about the life of the bulbs.

i spent 200 on "one piece hid look alike headlights" and i think they work great. its got a cool halo light as a day time running light and the low beams and hi beams outperform stock by far. it was fairly easy to install. just pull the old headlight assemblies disconnects the bulbs and splice a few wires and good to go. took maybe an hour tops by myself and im no mechanic. the directions it came with were pretty good too. Ill post pics in a few minutes!

I've had the one piece projectors, stock, and retrofitted. One piece projectors performed worse than stock clean lenses. but retrofitted projectors are the best! Due to the accident my truck was involved in two months ago, I had to go back to stock, but am ordering all necessary parts to retrofit a new set of lights

wait now that I am on my computer and can see your link I noticed those are exactly mine lol... i like them. They are not HID bulbs but have the projector look. they work sweet.

I've had the one piece projectors, stock, and retrofitted. One piece projectors performed worse than stock clean lenses. but retrofitted projectors are the best! Due to the accident my truck was involved in two months ago, I had to go back to stock, but am ordering all necessary parts to retrofit a new set of lights

Enlighten me what do you mean by retrofitted projectors? Did you fit some from another car and if so what car?

Enlighten me what do you mean by retrofitted projectors? Did you fit some from another car and if so what car?

you can google retrofit headlights for a better answer but basically you take your headlights and put them in an oven to separate the glue then open them up and put the hid bulb inside. so you end up with stock housings but an hid setup.. supposedly its the cats meow and the best way to go for lighting. though it can be expensive if you get it professionally done.. fairly cheap if you know what your doing and can use your own oven

I did a retrofit on my '99. Results were great. I'm in Canada (Calgary). Never had an issue with cops.

retrofit-firstlook.jpg

A proper hid retrofitted ebay headlight like above is a million times better than those ebay halogen projector headlights. Plus, IMO those black ones with the halos and all that look like complete ****.

A proper hid retrofitted ebay headlight like above is a million times better than those ebay halogen projector headlights.

Agreed. My setup replaced one of those all in one units.

I would like brighter than the stock setup (bulbs and lens) but my concern is I'll be using my rig extensively off road and not just on.

I would like brighter than the stock setup (bulbs and lens) but my concern is I'll be using my rig extensively off road and not just on.

You don't want brighter lights for off-road? I would think you would.

Yeah I do but you also want less electrical that could go wrong and where we go here there's lots of sand and water.

I really like the way the retrofitted ones look - is there anyone on this forum that has experience doing these? What would it cost? thank you!

if they dont say "D.O.T." on them, and you have a cop on a mission, you might have problems..

Please stop with the DOT and legal issue cause the laws read that if your vehicle did not come with factory but it was a factory option then it's fine but since ford never made HID for the second gen explorer than it's illegal and you can be ticketed for it regardless wither they are DOT or not..

Please stop with the DOT and legal issue cause the laws read that if your vehicle did not come with factory but it was a factory option then it's fine but since ford never made HID for the second gen explorer than it's illegal and you can be ticketed for it regardless wither they are DOT or not..

if they say DOT on them, you have a better chance of them passing then not

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really like the way the retrofitted ones look - is there anyone on this forum that has experience doing these? What would it cost? thank you!

If I can do it myself, anyone can. I don't remember what total cost was. I got the headlights on eBay and protectors etc on a group buy on another site.

Back