Projectors Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Projectors Question

I recently put projectors in my explorer with a 8000k HID kit. I didn't have the shrouds for the back of the projectors when I did the install and they seem less bright now than they did when I had just the diamond clear assemblies and no projectors.

What benefit other than cosmetic will there be to me paying $100 for the shrouds available on ebay? I went with the projectors from a BMW X5 so the shrouds for those projectors are the ones I'd need to use. I just want to make sure its not a waste of $100 and i get no benefit in my lights...

Thanks for any help or guidance

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldnt think that the shrouds would make a difference in the light output.
I do think that the 8000K bulbs (as opposed to 4300K bulbs) would make a big difference in light output.
I have projectors on my car and tried 6000K bulbs and IMO they sucked compared to the 4300K.
I havent converted the Merc to HID projectors because I like the illumination that the scattered light produces compared to the sharp cutoff that you have w/projectors. I have to use the fog lights on the car in order to get as much illumination as I have with the Merc.

post up pics man !

Shrouds are only for looks...they hide the ugly backs of the projectors. Make sure to paint the diamonds black to reduce glare

I put the projectors in the factory housings so I would have the flat reflective material inside not the diamond cut. I took the clear lenses from a set of diamond cut assemblies and used those on the factory hosuings. If the shrouds are only for cosmetics then I'm not going to waste my money on them. They cost entirely too much for a couple thin pieces of shiny metal

I'm waiting on posting pics simply cuz I have the projector fog lights on my truck as well and Saturday afternoon I should have my 8000K HID kit for them. So when I take my pics I want them to have the HIDs in both locations with projectors. As it stands right now I only use the angel eyes on the fog lights until I get the HID kit.

I also took every single bulb out of my truck interior and exterior and replaced them all with LEDs. The comparison between the factory bulbs and LEDs is insane! Honestly there is no comparison...

Already started working on my multimedia system inside too.
Kenwood DDX-6019 7" touchscreen DVD unit (double DIN)
Kenwood 7" drop down console (rear passengers)
Kenwood BT100 Bluetooth Module for the DDX-6019 (makes the radio my cell phone)
Kenwood 1700w mono amp (for the subs)
Kenwood 800w 4 channel amp (for the door speakers)
Kenwood 1200w 12" subs (only 2 of them)
Q Logic sealed dual sub box

I still want the navi module as well as the TV and rear view camera for the DDX-6019 so those will be my next acquisitions for the stereo setup. As it sits right now the system is clear and hits very hard. When its all done I will also have a pair of 7" screens in the headrests that will be Kenwood too. I found a good deal on the wireless headphones for the rear screens so I plan on grabbing a pair of those as well.

Pics of everything should be available either tomorrow night or Sunday morning.

Afboy I may need you to put them up for me...

Mike

I...I also took every single bulb out of my truck interior and exterior and replaced them all with LEDs. The comparison between the factory bulbs and LEDs is insane! Honestly there is no comparison...

Did you replace the dash lights with LEDs as well? I've been seraching for some without luck.

the dash lights can be had on ebay fairly cheap. I got all my LED bulbs on ebay from the same seller and always got fast shipping and if I ordered more than one item I got combined shipping too so I saved a couple bucks that way.
From my understanding you need 18 of the #74 bulbs and 8 or 10 of the #194 bulbs for the gauge cluster. The Message center lights require 2 of the #74 bulbs as well. These will only change the light on the buttons. The display will still be green.

I haven't figured out what the bulbs are in the various dash buttons but eventially I will figure out how to LED those as well.

Once going to LED are they at least brighter? I don't mind the green color I just want a brighter light for the gauge cluster.

they are MUCH brighter than standard bulbs of the same size. Not even worth comparing them. Just get them and enjoy!

Seems like every "green" light in the system has a standard white bulb with a green rubber jacket over the bulb that can be removed. However the light will appear to be a slight orangy white instead of a clean bright white like I thought it would. But that was with the standard bulbs. LED superwhite bulbs should correct the color hue I noticed.

Great! I'll go for it then. Thanks.

Was there any trick to getting the gauge cluster out of the dash?

BTW, how about some pics of the projectors???

there is a "how to" write up don on removing the cluster. its fairly simple to do. Just be careful when doing it. Look under doing the white gauge faces for how to get the cluster out.

I gotta get a good camera to take pics of the projectors. Once I get a good camera I'll take pics and get one of you to post them for me

Back