Prospective Explorer buyer, need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prospective Explorer buyer, need advice

JC Cano

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Sport
Greetings all,

I'm a prospective Explorer buyer & i'm looking for some of your expertise. I'm looking at a CPO 2016 Explorer Sport with about 65k on the clock. My concern is how they hold up long term and if there are any items I should know about before possibly signing the contract. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CPO does not really mean much. But it does allow you to buy an ESP (new vehicle coverage vs used) that you otherwise would not be able to.

Personally, I'd look at a 17+ for the simple fact of sync 3 over mft.

I agree with the 17+ for the Sync 3. I have a 2016 XLT 2.3L and love it. They did have to replace the transmission at 65k due to some issue. Thank god for the extended warranty! Have had some issues with the heated seats. Other than that great truck.

Can buy Ford warranty well past 65k. I qualified at 128k provided it passed an inspection. Bypass that with Cpo

CPO does not really mean much. But it does allow you to buy an ESP (new vehicle coverage vs used) that you otherwise would not be able to.

Personally, I'd look at a 17+ for the simple fact of sync 3 over mft.

I agree about going a year newer if you cam for Sync 3. I almost bought a 2016 but hated the MFT interface on it after using the Sync 3 in my hubby's truck.

Common problems:

PTU failure
Premature Hankook tire wear
Hood corrosion where it meets the grill
Door panel separation
Clogged sunroof drains
Pillar trim flying off

Back