Proud new owner of 05 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proud new owner of 05 Explorer XLT

go pens

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 xlt
Just purchase Explorer with 60k miles on it.

No maintenance history with it but seems to run well. I do plan on changing the oil right away, probably Motocraft oil and filter.

Since I dont know about the transmission fluid should I just take it to dealership and have it changed to be safe? How about the differential and transfer case fluids? If so how much would I expect to spend?

Any other info/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been perusing this site quite a bit and will continue to do so...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard.
Oh great....the transmission! :rolleyes: DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE STEALERSHIP!!!! I capatalized to emphasize that. I took it to my local stealership and they charged me, but didn't do a flush, the fluid looks too dark for being new. So I guess when I get the chance, I'll have another stealership do the work for me, AND check the fluid in the parking lot.

I can give you lots of advice about the 02-05 Explorer, just what do you want to know?

Stupid question, but once I climb under the vehicle, how do I check the transmission fluid level?

Is AAMCO reputable for tranny fluid changes rather than dealership?

Dealership will use motorcraft fluid AAmco will use bulk oil you make the choice If the fluid was real dirty to start all its going to do is clean it up but it will not look new if its burnt dont always bad mouth dealers if your not going to be happy go someplace else they are in business to help you not ROB you and if you have problems speak to someone they will make it right!

Flushing will not make every transmission fluid look new. I fyou start with really dirty or burnt type fluid it will need to be flushed multiple times.

best bet is your local garage(over here we have auto masters,ultratune) and get all parts flushed and fluids changed. go with manufacturer spec synthetics. with no service book you dont know what your getting and a few dollars now could save you heaps down the track.

oh and welcome to the forum mate:)

best bet is your local garage(over here we have auto masters,ultratune) and get all parts flushed and fluids changed. go with manufacturer spec synthetics. with no service book you dont know what your getting and a few dollars now could save you heaps down the track.

oh and welcome to the forum mate:)

Thanks, Mate

I figure the oil change I can do myself using Motorcraft oil and filter.

Regarding the tranny fluid, at 60k, is that when it should be changed, every 60?

Is the other fluid that I want to change just the transfer case oil or is there more that I'm missing?

Flushing will not make every transmission fluid look new. I fyou start with really dirty or burnt type fluid it will need to be flushed multiple times.

I just doubt they flushed it. Like the brake job the stealership never did...They aren't a trusty dealer but where else can I take the truck???? Not really any where else. :rolleyes:

Incase anyone never said how to check the fluid, on the pan you'll see the drain(?) bolt with a torax screw inside of it, loosen the torax screw thats inside of the bolts to where its almost off, and it will start to drip, if it drips fairly steady you have enough.

transfere case-60k and every 60k thereafter
check diff

auto transmission fluid every 30k only if under heavy load (towing or constant stop start driving)

sounds like everything else is covered - judt for peice of mind really

Congrats to your new 05 Explorer XLT go pens. Hope you enjoy your ride with it. :)

Back