• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Proud new XLT owner/short Explorer story

MotorolaBilly

Reaction score
City, State
Round Prairie, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey guys! My name is Billy Myers. I'm 19 and I live on Round Prairie, OR just off Interstate 5 exit 113. I just bought a white 1997 Explorer XLT from a used vehicle lot, who acquired the rig from an AT&T auction. It was a manager's vehicle (fully equipped with golfball dent in roof), and had the AT&T "Deathstar" decal on the doors, along with the Berkeley Hights site name and a USDOT number. This is a cruel irony; I'm an AT&T longlines nut, but upon purchase the decals were removed. One of these days I'll check on the legalities of returning it to it's former colors. Other than a few tiny dents or scratches, the body is flawless, 9 out of 10.

When I'm not working as an equipment yardman or dispatch trucker's aide at United Rentals of Roseburg, I'm a railroad brakeman for a narrow-gauge shortline. One of the crew vehicles was (before they ran it into a train in June and it didn't let go) a '97 Explorer XL, and I only got to drive it once earlier this year. My previous vehicle was an '85 Dodge Ram Custom B250 van with an awesome three-tone paint job but a tired, heavily-smoking and thirsty 318. I also had no second gear. First was good for about 39 MPH and third, 87. The one time my plates ever went on the air (with me listening), I was let go with a stern warning. To quote the OSP officer, "...because son, I'm surprised this boat GOES that fast."

Anyway, it was time for a new ride. I had really liked the way the railroad's Explorer had handled on the way to the mini mart that night, despite the lack of instrument lights! I was determined to have one soon, so when a friend told me about this XLT from AT&T, I did the deed and have been thrilled since. Now I understand why people grin at their new vehicles! Even without the logos, this big white SUV with DOT-C2 bumper striping, a backup spotlight, hood-mount VHF gain antenna, and my safety vests on the seatbacks looks much more at home on a logging road or next to the RR right of way, not in a parking lot.

If you've come this far, thanks for taking the time to read it all. :confused: I'm a very proud owner now, well, in three year's time... and I look forward to sharing words with you all!

Sincerely,
~Billy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Welcome to the site! :D

have fun with the new expo
CP

JasonH

Reaction score
City, State
Kosice, Slovakia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 5.0V8 XLT
Yet another proud Explorer owner

I have recently bought an unconverted 1997 5 liter V8 XLT and am very happy after my first 2 weeks of on/off roading in a very comfortable and extremely capable vehicle. The car is 2-tone black/silver and belonged to the Slovak Ambassador to Germany, who never ever took it off road!! I am a British ex-pat living and working in the Slovak Republic in central Europe. I run the strategic planning team for U. S. Steels European HQ. This is my first 4x4 and I am new to driving away from highways. BUT . . . . . . I got the bug and now its way too late to go back to a 2 wheel drive.

I do have a couple of questions though, and I wonder if anyone on the forum can help me out? Being new to this 'sport' I dont know what sort of limitations the vehicle has and indeed my own? (although I am learning real fast - I'll post some pics as soon as I can figure out how to get them on the site) Is there a site where I can get some basics of off-roading information? And more specifically, more information about the Explorer off road.

I have some Yokohama all terrain tires at the moment, but they look like they have been on the vehicle since new and all motorway driving with a defective differential - which has been replaced by a new imported diff direct from Ford US . . . . anyway, its time to replace them. I am thinking about Goodyear Wrangler MTR 235/75R15's or BFGoodrich Mud-Terrains - is this a good move? Where I live there are not a lot of places around to get spares and even the tires are going to have to be imported!! There are a couple of off-road clubs around, but all their vehicles have high lifts and communication with these guys is not the easiest in the world. their first recommendation if I want to join them is that I lift my Explorer but I read that aftermarket lifts don't exist due to the AWD suspension?? Do I need to lift the vehicle at this early stage in my offroading career? And is this really going to help if I dont get bigger wheels/Tires? Or should I take things slow and stick to mud tracks until I get more experience?

To date, we have spent most of our off-roading in forest tracks and up and down small hills, mud holes, sand and water/mud/leaf combinations seem to be the main type of terrain once we get out of town. We only got bogged down the once, and having hiked to a local ski resort and begged to be towed out once, I really dont want to go through the embarassment again. We have a '4x4 kit' that we have built, including such things as a shovel, axe, full first aid kit, extra water, warm clothing, matches etc etc. Is there anything specific that I should add to my kit when we go off road??

I would be grateful for any advice that I can get to further my knowledge and to avoid having to dig myself out at some point. I know that this is inevitable, in order to find out the limits of the car and driver, but I would rather delay this for as long as possible.

Kind regards

Jason Hunter :exp:

jason.hunter@europe.com

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Billy and Jason, welcome to Serious Explorations!! Remember in looking for information about your trucks, the search button is your best friend. :D

JasonH

Reaction score
City, State
Kosice, Slovakia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 5.0V8 XLT
Thanx Sandy, I'll take a look. We had a bit of fun yesterday evening. There is a Hummer dealership not far from where I live and we took the X through their test track!! They were very surprised that we made it through with no problems :) and they will increase the difficulty of the track until we get bogged down/stuck or they have to tow us out. They are adamant that they can build a track that the Hummer can get through but we cant. Its gonna be an interesting few months of increasingly difficult terrain :) I cant wait. I'll get some pics on my site asap.