Proud owner, 2K Explorer (huge post) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proud owner, 2K Explorer (huge post)

entoptics

Reaction score
City, State
Pac NW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT SOHC
Hello all, Just picked up a new to me 2000 XLT with the teeny tiny engine (OHV I think). Got it for free from an uncle, and despite that, it's in FANTASTIC shape. 90K, superb working order, single owner, and EXTREMELY well cared for.

I have a few questions to ask, so I'll do that here first. I know exactly ZERO about the Exploder, and would appreciate any info and suggestions. Please keep responses nice and simple, I intent to use this thread as a base to start using the search function and making more focused threads in the future. For now, just treat me as the dumbest newb in the barn with the intention of sticking around for a few years.

I intend to use the new truck for 20% daily driving (I have a moto, so I rarely use a cage for anything nearby), 40% road trips with the wife, and 40% field work (geology in the desert). Hopefully, with a little bit of TLC and customization, the Exploder will be capable of 10 day interstate+gravel+jeep trail trips, and still be good for the occasional day to day grocery runs and disgustingly remote desert trails I encounter when working.

1) General cleanup and utility? I would like to reduce road noise (new weather stripping??), install a new stereo (nothing crazy), fabricate a sleeping platform (with rear seats down), and generally "abuse proof" the interior/exterior.

2) Offroad modifications that won't hurt interstate comfort? I'm concerned about toughness more than performance (stock explorer will take me where I need to go). I work in a remote and dangerous place. I don't need to get anywhere fast, I just need to get there and back every time without trashing my vehicle.

3) Suspension and payload? I have a hitch mount bike rack for my motorcycle (around 500 lbs total hitch weight). I want to mount an aftermarket receiver myself soon. I also want to stiffen up the rear suspension for hauling bike/work/camping stuff without sacrificing the comfort when not hauling. Are the adjustable air shocks useful or is there no way to compromise?

Anyway. Good to meet you all, and hope to hear from you. I suspect I'll be around for another 75 thousand miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forum

Welcome to Explorer Forum!
The best advice I can give you is that the more you make this truck off road capable, the worse it will ride and handle on the highway and vise versa. We have a lot of members with the second generation Explorers so looking at pictures in the photo gallery and thumbing through that forum section, will provide most useful. Happy posting!

I have a few questions to ask, so I'll do that here first. I know exactly ZERO about the Exploder, and would appreciate any info and suggestions. Please keep responses nice and simple, I intent to use this thread as a base to start using the search function and making more focused threads in the future. For now, just treat me as the dumbest newb in the barn with the intention of sticking around for a few years.

Since you know very little about explorers we will start with the basics. The Gas Pedal is on the Right. Ha

Great list of ideas. As for advise, I would say to take some time to look around the forum and use the search button on the toolbar. Seeing what others have done to their rigs is a great way of deciding what you want yours to become. Sounds to me like a Tortion Twist in addition to a set of longer shackles or an add-a-leaf (or both) would be a good setup for your needs. Then you could install a All-Terrain type 31inch tire. Like you said, a stock ex will get you there, but this would give you a bit more clearnace and offroad ability without sacraficing your onroad travel comfort as much as a larger lift would. By adding a aal and shackles you will also stiffen up the rear. Thats what I did. Good luck!

Back