PS leak help? Wheel Hub Question.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

weaver84

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer XLT
I need help on Leaks and Noise please.

- PS leaks at lines?
- Leaks at Rack n Pinion?
- Leaks at Axles?
- Growl/Shuddering/Vibration at Any speed at steering wheel and floor board, bad wheel hub maybe?

20220913_174818.jpg 20220913_174800.jpg 20220913_174744.jpg 20220913_174727.jpg 20220913_155108.jpg 20220913_155103.jpg 20220913_155054.jpg 20220913_155010.jpg 20220913_155017.jpg 20220913_155035.jpg 20220913_154948.jpg 20220913_154953.jpg 20220913_154957.jpg 20220913_155002.jpg 20220913_154941.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't tell a lot from your pics. Thanks for providing them but either my monitor is too dark, or the contrast/lighting isn't working well in them.

Is your power steering fluid low or did you have to add some? I am wondering if there is air in the system and this accounts for the sound and shuddering. To get air out, drive slowly and turn the steering left and right, lock to lock full travel back and forth a few times.

If your steering hydraulic hose(s) are leaking, time to replace them.

I don't register what you mean by leaks at axles. If the steering fluid is dripping onto them, I'd wait and see. If you have CV boot(s) with tears and the grease inside is leaking the oil from the grease out, replace the boot before running with bad grease tears up the CV joint, or replace the whole CV axle though I would rather put a new boot (and repack more grease) on the Ford axle than buy a lower quality aftermarket if it is not torn up mechanically yet, just needs a new rubber boot.

Looks like steering pump / hoses leaking badly.

Pre-Assembled type front wheel hubs only check is the runout gauge measure and wheel rotate ( with the rim assembled,front wheel off the ground) without the brake caliper installed and listen.

In very bad hub condition you should feel the runout with your hands.

Wheels should rotate smooth,quiet and with light hand resistance only.if you can hear the bearing rollers moving,replace the hub.

As for the rear hubs,you will need to do the same with both of wheels of the ground.

Cool beans, thanks for the advice. Will do more digging and report back. Figured the mess was from the ps area.

Should the pump be replaced or lines? Reservoir is at max, no bubbles.

It depends on the exact leakage location.

Ok, The pressure line that goes into pump is leaking BUT can it have alot of blow-by? Like enough to coat the underside? There's fluid on the driver's side, passenger side at frame and fluid at back of oil pan too. That may be a seal but idk.

It could run down the line and get all over lots of things while driving.

I have a foam-cannon type hose attachment for washing vehicles. I'd use that with a strong detergent solution and rinse to clean away all the leaking fluid, let it dry, then check for leaks and start the engine, again looking for the original leak source.

Then again, you know you need to replace the leaking line so could just start there, THEN clean up the underside and see if anything is still leaking.

However the reservoir being "at max" seems like it could be something else, too. Low on any other fluids like tranny or oil?

It could run down the line and get all over lots of things while driving.

I have a foam-cannon type hose attachment for washing vehicles. I'd use that with a strong detergent solution and rinse to clean away all the leaking fluid, let it dry, then check for leaks and start the engine, again looking for the original leak source.

Then again, you know you need to replace the leaking line so could just start there, THEN clean up the underside and see if anything is still leaking.

However the reservoir being "at max" seems like it could be something else, too. Low on any other fluids like tranny or oil?
Oil is full an clean, i believe the tranny is full too. haven't seen red fluid anywhere.

I suppose brake fluid could squirt in funny directions too, but with that, even a pinhole leak usually doesn't take long to empty the reservoir due to the high pressure.

I still think it's the steering, considering the growling and vibration.

I suppose brake fluid could squirt in funny directions too, but with that, even a pinhole leak usually doesn't take long to empty the reservoir due to the high pressure.

I still think it's the steering, considering the growling and vibration.
Haven't heard any growling but vibration in the steering wheel and pedals.

- Growl/Shuddering/Vibration at Any speed at steering wheel and floor board, bad wheel hub maybe?

If you think it's the wheel hub, get that wheel off the ground, check it for play and smooth rotation. Check the tire for uneven wear too. Does the sound change a lot with vehicle speed or a slight change in direction, like from barely turning left to barely right? The latter often happens once a wheel bearing gets bad enough.

What size wrench/sockets do I need for the lines? I know there gonna be a pita..

^ You might check these linked below on Rock Auto, see if any look like what you need and on their respective INFO buttons, some list the sizes. If you have metric wrenches in sizes ranging from 11mm to 18mm, you're probably good. If you're in a low rust region, might even be able to get away with using a crescent wrench.

Back