PTU Change Experience

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
2014 Explorer Sport. I had the PTU drained at 48k and refilled with Royal Purple Extreme Duty 75-140 by a local Firestone I use. At that time, they charged me $85. When the work was done, they commented how much of a pain it was - they had to remove the downpipe on the turbo/exhaust, etc. to get to it. The fluid that came out was thick and smelled horrible.

Now, at 89,756 miles, I had it done again. This time, with a new team at Firestone, they called me mid way through the work to tell me it was a much bigger job than they thought. They did the work for $110, but I don't think they will again in the future. I got there when they were wrapping it up. I know the tech, so I went out to look over the work. Indeed the down pipe did need to come down. But, with the right tools, it didn't look terrible - especially on a lift. He agreed. I think the front desk folks were giving me a bit more of a scare than really needed to be there. The fluid that came out was much more liquid-like and smelled like I think it should from experience around other differential oils. So, that fluid went almost 40k and was the Royal Purple.

I took a sample and plan to send it to Blackstone to have them analyze it.

I did call a local Ford dealer and they gave me the runaround about not changing it, etc. I asked them if they have ever changed a PTU on a customers car - of course we have, sir. Well, that's exactly why I want the fluid flushed. :) Suddenly, the quoted price was $169.99.

It stands to reason that fluid should be changed more often than not. I wonder what others' have paid to have this done on the same vehicle?

Once I get the oil report back, I'll touch base with an update.

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's another thread that has some information about the PTU fluid.
I'd say if I was charged $110 and knew it was done properly, I'd go for it. That seams reasonable for the work.
I think my dealer quoted me about the same as your dealer and that was too much for me.

I changed my own for about $15 and about 2hrs of my time. I didn't take off the downpipe. I fabricated a funnel to direct the old fluid into a catch can.
I then filled the PTU back up through the vent on the top. I used Amsoil Severe Gear fluid.

@ ~60k miles, my fluid was tinted slightly darker than the new stuff, but it wasn’t bad. It still drained out like fluid. I had it analyzed at Blackstone and they said it was more representative of a 30k mile fluid regarding wear metals and such. This was the original fluid and I have owned it since new. I plan to do another change @ ~100k miles if I keep the vehicle that long.

Very interested to see the Blackstone reports...

C438BA17-6198-4149-A00B-880AC9CC96CD.jpeg

There are the results. I looked and the "fill" was actually the Motorcraft gear lube this time as I had it done last at ford. But, it was a 25,000 mile cycle for sure. Nice to see it was still in good shape. I was surprised how liquid it was when it came out.

Shumax

Nice report--thank you for sharing.

Back