• Register Today It's free!

PTU Fluid Changed Today

DelcoGary

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 4wd 2.3L
Changed the PTU fluid in the 16 Explorer today. I was happy to see a drain plug compared to my SHO! That makes life 10X (or more) easier! The 2.3L takes up less space that the boosted 3.5L so getting to the fill was a lot easier too. Apparently, the PTU wasn't touched by the previous owner because the drain and fill plugs were pretty difficult to break loose. I know others have mentioned different sizes, but a T-50 torx fit perfectly for both drain and fill for me. If my pump for the new fluid worked, it would have been a 20 minute job. I seemed to get a full quart out (and back in).

At ~31k miles, the lube wasn't completely black, actually had some yellow to it, and didn't smell too terrible. I have a sample that I will be sending to Blackstone Labs for analysis so we'll see how healthy it is.

Next weekend I might tackle the transmission so we'll see how that goes. From what I understand that the 2.3L Explorers have the 6F35 transmission so that looks like it will be an interesting exercise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'

We have a 2017 2.3 EB Explorer and thankfully, as you found out, there is a drain plug on the PTU and the fill plug is easy to access also. Our PTU takes 23.7 oz, you can't overfill it because it'll just spill out the fill plug. Doing a drain and fill for the 6F35 transmission in our Explorer is easier than doing a engine oil and filter change. There is a 11mm drain plug on the bottom of the transmission and I refill through the easily accessible large vent hose in the engine compartment between the block and air filter housing. It has a yellow vent cap that I remove to add the ATF. I drain the ATF into a measured pail "cold" and add the same "cold" amount of new ATF. It's always been 4 quarts for the 3 drain and fills I've done so far. I did an UOA of my last PTU fluid change, it was Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 for 22,000 miles. It tested just fine with low wear metals in the oil and much of usable life left. I'll post the UOA soon.

Whimsey

What happened to my post? I went to correct it but it’s all gone. Here’s ~ what it said.

I noticed whimsey state 23.7 oz, when I thought it was 18oz.
Upon further research, the 2.3 Ecoboost in 2016 and 2017 (I didn't check others) has the higher capacity vs. the V6 and 3.5 Ecoboost.
I understand the V6’s would share the same PTU, but interesting that the 2.3 EB has a little less than 50% higher capacity.
And, 2014-2015, according to the manuals, all shared the same capacity.

Apply silicone sealant to clean and dry threads.
Drain plug torque spec. 20 Nm or 177 in-lbs. or 14.75 ft-lbs.

For the PIU, the fill plug is the temperature sensor port opening.

What happened to my post? I went to correct it but it’s all gone. Here’s ~ what it said.

I noticed whimsey state 23.7 oz, when I thought it was 18oz.
Upon further research, the 2.3 Ecoboost in 2016 and 2017 (I didn't check others) has the higher capacity vs. the V6 and 3.5 Ecoboost.
I understand the V6’s would share the same PTU, but interesting that the 2.3 EB has a little less than 50% higher capacity.
And, 2014-2015, according to the manuals, all shared the same capacity.
Capacity variances aside, 18 or 24 ounces is not the same as a quart (32 ounces).

Capacity variances aside, 18 or 24 ounces is not the same as a quart (32 ounces).

I stand corrected. It was a full container so that would be ~950 mL if I recall correctly.

Regardless, it was easier than what I was used to and seemed to get a mostly full fluid change.

Back