PTU issues with 2016 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PTU issues with 2016 Ford Explorer

Ashleylay24

Reaction score
City, State
Rockport, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello, we have a 2016 Ford Explorer and today it started smelling like gas, I actually had an oil change appointment and asked if they could check this. They said that it’s the PTU and needs to be replaced and they are quoting us over 3000!?!?! We bought this car new and have only had it 5 years, this just seems way too much and wondering what we should do

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The PTU is a very common weak point. While it is certainly not a cheap repair, 3k sounds pretty steep and I would get under the car to inspect what is going on. Sometimes the cases crack or could just be puking out the vent tube which means it needs new fluid asap. A bad PTU will make your car shudder and becomes very noticeable.

If it does need replacing, the front subframe / engine assembly is getting dropped to gain access.

A new PTU is around $950 + shipping from any of the wholesale online Ford dealers.

The subframe and engine shouldn’t have to come out, but replacement is fairly involved. $2000 labour seems quite excessive, I would call around and get some other quotes.

I’d take it to a transmission shop, and not the dealer. 3k is probably pretty standard for a dealer.

Hello, we have a 2016 Ford Explorer and today it started smelling like gas, I actually had an oil change appointment and asked if they could check this. They said that it’s the PTU and needs to be replaced and they are quoting us over 3000!?!?! We bought this car new and have only had it 5 years, this just seems way too much and wondering what we should do
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you exceeded the 5 years, 60k powertrain warranty? It's 5 years from the time it was first put into service.
There are several threads on PTU failures and mileage doesn't seem to be much of a factor in its failure. Also, the cost estimate seems to fall in line with what others were quoted. As mentioned above, you can always take it to an independent garage for a quote as well.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you exceeded the 5 years, 60k powertrain warranty? It's 5 years from the time it was first put into service.

Peter
We haven’t met the 5 years but we are over 60k at 64

That's too bad. You could try contacting Ford to see if there is anything they might be willing to do.

Peter

Back