• Register Today It's free!

PTU Leak/Safety Issue

pghemsmom08

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Okay, so this needs to be put out in the open and something needs to be done. I am getting the run around from Ford, and they're "unaware" of any problems. We all know that the PTU seal on multiple Ford models from the last decade are faulty and can cause a potential safety issue. Yes, I'm a female, but I'm not a dummy when it comes to vehicles.

That being said, over the summer (after I left my abusive husband and am now a single mom of 2 kids), I began smelling what I thought was exhaust fumes leaking into the cabin of my Explorer. At this point, it probably had around 50,000 miles on it (so well within power train). When I called my local dealership, they assured me that the smell i was smelling was likely due to the recall from the concern of exhaust fumes leaking into the cabin of the vehicle, and that I had nothing to worry about. Well, how was I supposed to know what diff fluid smells like? So, fast forward about a month (about August), I ended up having issues with the house that I had moved into; the drain stack was leaking raw sewage into the walls and causing black mold to grow into the walls of the home, making myself and my children ill. So unfortunately, the recall that "I had nothing to be concerned about, even despite the smell in the cabin of my vehicle" went to the back burner. Now that I'm settled into my new home and able to focus on getting the recall on my vehicle fixed. And yes, before anyone asks or jumps on me, my normal vehicle maintenance was maintained during this time.

So, I had an appointment scheduled for yesterday, 12/11 to have the recall on my vehicle fixed. Then last Wednesday, 12/5 my car kept seizing when I was braking or accelerating, and I almost wrecked my vehicle multiple times. After ruling out the U joint or drive shaft, we then found the glistening leak on the PTU, and were able to deduce the smell as being diff fluid dripping down onto the exhaust and coming through the cabin. Since the vehicle was not driveable, the next morning, I contacted the Ford dealer, who put me into a rental, and we gingerly drove the vehicle to the dealer that afternoon.

Yesterday, I get a phone call confirming what we suspected the problem to be. While on the phone with the service manager, he confirmed that this is definitely a known issue with multiple Ford models, and he is completely familiar with this problem. But yet there isn't a recall on the problem, or a safety notice?!?!?! My vehicle is now at 65,000 miles, so literally just over powertrain. I asked what can be done, and he said to contact Ford customer service, so I did. 24 hours into this, they're saying it's not their problem, and that there's no "promotions" that I'm eligible for. I'm about at my wits end. I have one child with special needs, and I'm a single mom. I don't know what to do to get this resolved and get Ford to fix THEIR problem that is now costing me close to $2,000.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I am going to remove the emotions out of this because it has nothing to do with the physical issue of your vehicle and sum up what you are saying.

50k - had a smell, believed it to be exhaust, knew about the Service Bulletin (not a recall), dealership said they are aware of the exhause issue and not to worry. No drivability issues.

65k - drove 15k more miles, had the service bulletin completed and found ptu leaking when vehicle was seizing up.

Who knows at 50k if it was ptu.. you said yourself it smelled like exhaust and the gear pil in the ptu smells nothing like exhaust.. it is a very strong, disgusting, putrid smell.

Out of warranty.

Ford denied extending coverage.

No real options at this point but to pay to have it fixed as Ford is not covering the repair outside of warranty. Some gamble and buy an Extended Warranty, some gamble and don't. Unfortunately you chose not to and lost on this one. Not trying to sound harsh, just stating the facts.

If you have already escalated your case to Ford and they denied it, you can plead your case to the Service Manager as they get $$$ twice a year from Ford to cover out of warranty repairs at their discretion.

As far as leaks go, most PTUs do not leak on the Explorer, they internally grenade.

Ummmmm, no you are 100% incorrect in literally everything you stated there.

50k - smell, told Ford dealer, it is absolutely a recall (issued as a voluntary recall, not a service bulletin). Dealer brushed off smell, said nothing to worry about.

Smell continued over the next 15k miles, RECALL was NOT COMPLETED. Recall was completed yesterday at the originally scheduled appointment BEFORE the PTU leak was discovered. It was absolutely the PTU leak at 50k, as the smell was diff fluid. And I did not ever once say it smelled like exhaust. I stated that the smell was what we thought was exhaust leaking into the cabin, only to once have described it to the Service Manager agreed it is diff fluid. Service Manager states known issue with Ford. Ford forums and open investigation for class action state so as well.

Vehicle JUST outside of warranty. Extended warranty or not, known issue trumps warranty. I didn't choose anything; I was not permitted to purchase an extended warranty, but that's probably too emotional for me to type in this forum. I'm not seeking your pity, this post is to gather further information regarding others that have experienced the same, as they are there and exist. I have done my research. And for the Ford employees that monitor these posts to be aware of such and get regional representatives involved. Ford will cover this, or it will become a lawsuit and a news story. Denying you're aware of a known issue that is all over online forums, and that service departments are completely aware of is a lie.

Thank you for your input, and I'm glad I was able to again take the opportunity to state the same facts that I had already once typed.

It's very unfortunate that you weren't able to diagnose it earlier.
Very little if any dealership will fix a problem that is not present at the time.

The problem is present and debilitating to the vehicle rendering it not driveable. It's not a question of it being fix. It's a matter of Ford recognizing the problem and doing something about it.

The problem is present and debilitating to the vehicle rendering it not driveable. It's not a question of it being fix. It's a matter of Ford recognizing the problem and doing something about it.
But your powertrain warranty is over.

But your powertrain warranty is over.

It is not a powertrain warranty issue. It is a known faulty seal within the power transfer unit on multiple Ford models from 2011 to present. This is a recall issue that needs to be addressed and taken care of by Ford. I'm not the first person on this forum to post about it either. So the fact that I'm being demeaned for doing as such is a little ridiculous. I may be a female, but I'm not unintelligent about vehicles. I have done my research, and wouldn't be posting this if my issue isn't EXACTLY what every other person has experienced. If the seal wasn't faulty and leaking, I would never had to replace the "lifetime" part in the vehicle.

It is not a powertrain warranty issue. It is a known faulty seal within the power transfer unit on multiple Ford models from 2011 to present. This is a recall issue that needs to be addressed and taken care of by Ford. I'm not the first person on this forum to post about it either. So the fact that I'm being demeaned for doing as such is a little ridiculous. I may be a female, but I'm not unintelligent about vehicles. I have done my research, and wouldn't be posting this if my issue isn't EXACTLY what every other person has experienced. If the seal wasn't faulty and leaking, I would never had to replace the "lifetime" part in the vehicle.
It's not a recall either.
While I agree that it's a known issue, it was never addressed by Ford to be covered outside of warranty.
I'm on your side 100% and will likely never buy another Ford again after this one, but it is what it is.

It's not a recall either.
While I agree that it's a known issue, it was never addressed by Ford to be covered outside of warranty.
I'm on your side 100% and will likely never buy another Ford again after this one, but it is what it is.

Oh I know it was never addressed by Ford. But I will not stop until it is. There are too many people that have been affected by this problem that it should have already been taken care of. Not to mention there is a class action lawsuit pending as it is. And I am in agreement. I am NOT buying another American made vehicle EVER again. Just even the fact that I just recently found out that my 2013 was build with heavy duty brakes because it has a 2014 chassis (which you don't know until you buy the wrong size rotors), I am over the games. I was raised a Ford girl too.

Every vehicle has "known issues" that range from mild to severe.

Ptu seal leaks are not uncommon. Underfilled ptus do not seem that uncommon. Multiple redesigns of the ptu over the years to address prior issues/shortcomings is known.

Lots of people are in tough situations. I am very sorry to hear of yours. It is always best to document and get issues addressed within any warranty periods, even if the difficulty level to do so is high. Once that warranty expires, the onus is on the individual. Maybe consider starting a social media campaign and GoFundMe to raise awareness. You may also want to see if your local news station has a help me line that may be able to assist you in dealing with the dealership.

Ummmmm, no you are 100% incorrect in literally everything you stated there.

50k - smell, told Ford dealer, it is absolutely a recall (issued as a voluntary recall, not a service bulletin). Dealer brushed off smell, said nothing to worry about.

It is NOT a recall, it is a service bulletin (known as an FSA) issued for customers if they CHOOSE to have it done because they are concerned. It is not required AND it expires at the end of this year as a no charge service if you want it done.

Smell continued over the next 15k miles, RECALL was NOT COMPLETED. Recall was completed yesterday at the originally scheduled appointment BEFORE the PTU leak was discovered. It was absolutely the PTU leak at 50k, as the smell was diff fluid. And I did not ever once say it smelled like exhaust. I stated that the smell was what we thought was exhaust leaking into the cabin, only to once have described it to the Service Manager agreed it is diff fluid. Service Manager states known issue with Ford. Ford forums and open investigation for class action state so as wel

You stated in your original post "I began smelling what I thought was exhaust fumes leaking into the cabin of my Explorer." Seriously? So you thought that something that didnt smell like exhaust was exhaust?

Vehicle JUST outside of warranty. Extended warranty or not, known issue trumps warranty. I didn't choose anything;

Known issues do NOT trump warranty. Only recalls which the NHTSA force a manufacturer to issue OR FSAs (which is what Ford issues if they choose to voluntarily offer a service/repair) trump a warranty. And most FSAs have a time restriction to get it done unlike Recalls.

I was not permitted to purchase an extended warranty, but that's probably too emotional for me to type in this forum.

You were not permitted? Huh? You can buy a Ford ESP at anytime under 120,000 miles as long as your vehicle passes an inspection at a Ford dealer.

I'm not seeking your pity, this post is to gather further information regarding others that have experienced the same, as they are there and exist. I have done my research.

If you were not looking for pity, I am not sure why you would throw in being a single mom of 2 kids, mold in your home and an abusive ex husband. None of this has anything to do with your vehicle.

And for the Ford employees that monitor these posts to be aware of such and get regional representatives involved.

Ford employees no longer participate/monitor the forums. They left a few years ago from all online forums.

Thank you for your input, and I'm glad I was able to again take the opportunity to state the same facts that I had already once typed

Most of your "facts" were incorrect. Sorry if you dont like my responses to you, just saying it how it really is.

And like I said earlier, I would talk with the Service Manager about having some of the funds dealers get for out of warranty repairs used towards your vehicle so it can get back on the road.

I will get you the name of those funds shortly so he cant play dumb if you ask him/her about it.

:popcorn:
In to see how this plays out.

........Just even the fact that I just recently found out that my 2013 was build with heavy duty brakes because it has a 2014 chassis (which you don't know until you buy the wrong size rotors), I am over the games. I was raised a Ford girl too.
Sorry to read about the issue you are having with the PTU. As for the brakes, the brakes on all Explorers were upgraded to HD sometime in December of 2012. It is always a good idea to confirm part numbers with the dealer parts department or a site like I use most times; AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Peter

P05 or P07 (these are the 2 programs) it's called an "awa repair" known as After Warranty Adjustment.

I'm sorry to hear of your issues, but everything blwnsmoke said is accurate. We can't change it, control it, or do much about it.

That user and all others on this forum want to see you find yourself whole on this one, but many of us have played this game before and have seen it play out. Please understand we are not trying to argue for Ford's benefit, as much as stating facts in hopes of getting you past the losing avenues and closer to a potentially winning argument.

I wish I had more to add but it was already well stated by others--but rest assured, we're hoping for a good outcome for you on this. We look to empower our fellow members here, not demean them, and I do hope that is sensed sooner rather than later.

All the best and please keep us posted.

If you wanted to just do it yourself.... here is the funniest, and most informative, car work video I've ever seen about replacing a PTU in an Edge. I had to stop watching this cause I couldn't stop laughing, his commentary is hands down the best and spot on about my thoughts on the Exploder. "Ford really cheaped out on this one." The Minnesota accent too, lol. This thread could use some comic relief! :snicker:

Back