PTU on a 2010? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PTU on a 2010?

Cameron58

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Exp Eddie Bauer 4.0l
I changed the front and rear diff fluid last night (fun, had to pump it out and back in on the front), and I saw a video about the Power Transfer Units on AWD fords crapping out because on some models they're surrounded by the transmission and catalytic converter and it cooks the "lifetime" fluid. So that fluid should be changed roughly every 30k miles.

My question: Does the 2010 explorer with the 4.0L engine, even HAVE Power Transfer Unit? It does have AWD but also 4x4 (one of the reasons I wanted an explorer from this gen as the later ones don't have actual 4x4). My service manual and googling doesn't yield any indication of a PTU existing on this vehicle.

Thanks!

The pre 2011 Explorers and Mountaineers have a transfer case. It is not the same as the vehicles with transverse mounted engines that are in the 5th gen Explorers. The transfer case in your vehicle does not get subjected to the same amount of engine and exhaust heat. Still, I recommend to change the fluid in them at least every 40k-50k miles along with the transmission fluid. It is easy to drain and refill.

Back