• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

PTU Problems

mcpcartier

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Limited 4WD
Thanks.
$2200 out the door from the dealer.
So labor $700, and $1500 for ptu and incidentals.
Sound rough for fluids and shop towels and bolts.
Labor seems a little high - I would shop around. (labor to R&R ptu should only be around 5 hours)
PTU and incidentals seems way too high - should be about half that.
Recently rebuilt my PTU and it was a pain in the driveway. Took a full day to get it out (control arms were my biggest hassle), the better part of day to clean it up (clean out sludge, put in new seals, drill a drain hole), and the better part of a day to put everything back in. My problem was no 11 mm wrench, incorrect seal installer, snapped one of the exhaust flange studs, no drill with bigger than 3/8" chuck to drill drain hole. A bunch of time wasted on lack of preparation.... Next time I'm sure I could easily do it in 2 days....I'd say a long day (10 hours) to pull and rebuild it (new seals), and a 6 to 8 hour day to put it back, top of fluids, etc.. Experience of what to remove, how it's connected, what tools you need are the time savers. Doing this on a lift would make it so much easier/faster.

My costs were about $85....seals were about $50, stud kit for exhaust manifold as about $15, and geal oil. Some other minor incidentals like a bit/tap, kerosene to clean out the PTU, RTV, 11 mm wrench, etc.. I did to a transmission fluid change at the same time...but that was my choice so I count that as a separate cost. Though you will loose some tranny fluid doing this so you do need a few quarts at minimum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

mcpcartier

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Limited 4WD
That is way too high. Even at retail, it is a $950 unit.. $700 in labor is about right.. factoring in $125 an hour at 5-6 hours. You should be in the $1700 range.
Not sure what shops are quoting.....but I could see this being pulled out in 4 hours, rebuild a couple of hours...install 4 hours. Maybe I'm just slow...but 6 hours seems really fast. Drain tranny fluid, disconnect driveshaft, drop exhaust, remove right side axle, drop subframe (control arms, tie rods, steering connection, harness disconnect), remove exhaust manifold/cat, remove mounts connecting PTU to engine, remove PTU......rebuild.....then put it all back in, top off fluids...

I did waste a few hours trying to do a better tranny fluid change but eventually gave up and did the useless 3 drain/fill approach. I'll figure out how to work around the thermal bypass unit next time.

Last edited:

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
I do a lot of repairs on my vehicles that take me a lot longer than book time. I'm in no hurry though as I'm not racing against the book to make a paycheck - sometimes I stop for a bit and grab a bite or just take a break or get busy with something else while waiting for fluids to drain... After I do a repair a time or two, I like to think I learn something that makes it easier/faster the next time.

mcpcartier

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Limited 4WD
I do a lot of repairs on my vehicles that take me a lot longer than book time. I'm in no hurry though as I'm not racing against the book to make a paycheck - sometimes I stop for a bit and grab a bite or just take a break or get busy with something else while waiting for fluids to drain... After I do a repair a time or two, I like to think I learn something that makes it easier/faster the next time.
Trust me....same over hear. Get the neighbors swinging by asking what i'm doing, grabbing a brew, family interruptions....it never ends. I say I'd do it in 2 days but generally is slides into a 3rd day due to lack of focus/distractions/life in general....seems like my back/knees need more rest time that they used to...more help from my son when dealing with larger items (e.g. sub-frame positioning/securing).

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Not sure what shops are quoting.....but I could see this being pulled out in 4 hours, rebuild a couple of hours...install 4 hours. Maybe I'm just slow...but 6 hours seems really fast. Drain tranny fluid, disconnect driveshaft, drop exhaust, remove right side axle, drop subframe (control arms, tie rods, steering connection, harness disconnect), remove exhaust manifold/cat, remove mounts connecting PTU to engine, remove PTU......rebuild.....then put it all back in, top off fluids...

I did waste a few hours trying to do a better tranny fluid change but eventually gave up and did the useless 3 drain/fill approach. I'll figure out how to work around the thermal bypass unit next time.
There is nothing to rebuild, the ptu is replaced.

mcpcartier

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Limited 4WD
I understand its officially not a "serviceable" component. But I chose to clean mine out and replace all the seals (which I referred to as rebuilt).

My gear oil had started turning into sludge which plugged the vent....pressure would build up and it would eject the sludge via the vent all over my driveway. Rather than replace the PTU I decided to service it and see if that would save me the $800 or so. If it dies then I'll have to replace it. What I did was open it up and cleaned out the old gear oil, replaced the seals (five seals, a guide or collar, and a dust cover), added a drain plug, assembled, filled with new gear oil and reinstalled it. It's only been 1000 miles so far, but all is good. Part of that 1000 miles was a 600 mile trip to Lake Mead/Hoover Dam last week at 117 degrees....so they weren't easy miles. Planning on changing the gear oil at 5000 miles and then annually. So far so good....she ran like a champ the entire trip. Not a drop of gunk on the PTU/driveway.

Last edited:

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
While that may be true for dealers, there are companies that do rebuild them and source components from some some of the same companies that make the units for the OEM.

For an individual, it is definitely possible to R&R the unit to clean it and replace bearings and seals. If one is sourcing a used unit to save money, it probably wouldn't hurt to do this also.

It is also possible to mix and match good parts from multiple units to create a working unit.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
When blwnsmoke mentioned "There is nothing to rebuild, the ptu is replaced." I believe he was solely referring to Leviticus' situation and not PTU's in general.

Peter

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
When blwnsmoke mentioned "There is nothing to rebuild, the ptu is replaced." I believe he was solely referring to Leviticus' situation and not PTU's in general.

Peter
I would hope that is not the case as he quoted the post from mcpcartier.

In general, there are a lot of items that are "not rebuildable" that can technically be "rebuilt" assuming one has the knowledge, tools, availability of replacement parts, and so on...

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I would hope that is not the case as he quoted the post from mcpcartier.

In general, there are a lot of items that are "not rebuildable" that can technically be "rebuilt" assuming one has the knowledge, tools, availability of replacement parts, and so on...
That is because mcpcartier started to post about 'rebuilding' based on the other member's problem with his PTU and having the dealer replace it. He even quoted the post by Leviticus in his reply.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
That is because mcpcartier started to post about 'rebuilding' based on the other member's problem with his PTU and having the dealer replace it. He even quoted the post by Leviticus in his reply.
You are correct, when I said I could see $700 in labor for 5-6 hours of work to replace it and the other member stated he sees 4 hours to remove, 2 to rebuild and 4 to replace, I said there was no rebuild in that, dealers just replace. So yes $700 sounds fair at what they charge per hour for the job.

So thanks!!

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
I did mention in my "rebuttal" that while that may be true of dealers, it is not true in general (in case others wanted to try their hand at "rebuilding" a dirty/non-damaged PTU like mcpcartier did).

SunnysMama

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT 4WD
I have a Ford Explorer XLT 4WD and we purchased the extended warranty. A couple weeks ago I noticed black fluid leaking from under the transfer case/transmission. Took it into the dealer and they just replaced my PTU at a little over 39,000 miles. The dealer also replaced all of the fluid in my transmission. There was a little mishap at the dealer when they drove one of the wheels into the rack, damaging a tire. So we now have a new PTU, a repaired wheel, and two brand new tires on the front. We have no idea what caused the PTU failure, but the gears inside had failed and had come apart. We have always had regular maintenance and rotated the tires. The dealer declined to state it was necessary to replace all 4 tires, but after reading everything on here, I'm thinking we should replace the other two tires, especially since it is 4WD. Also, do you think the new PTU installed is a better design? I love my Explorer; it is the best car I have ever owned and driven, but I am extremely disappointed knowing Ford did not design a better system and we already had a major drive train component failure at under 40,000 miles.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

613GT500

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
Another victim of a PTU failure over here.
MY2016, just shy of 30K miles.
PTU broke with a loud bang, as I was taking off at a stop light.
I pulled into a strip mall right away and as soon as I stopped...the stench of propane was apprent.
Got it towed to the dealership, no questions asked and replaced with part# DG1Z7251F.

After the replacement, during the test drive, the tech was experiencing shuddering and sudden loss of power.
Now, it's getting a new tranny and ETB... might as well build the EX again.

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Another victim of a PTU failure over here.
MY2016, just shy of 30K miles.
PTU broke with a loud bang, as I was taking off at a stop light.
I pulled into a strip mall right away and as soon as I stopped...the stench of propane was apprent.
Got it towed to the dealership, no questions asked and replaced with part# DG1Z7251F.

After the replacement, during the test drive, the tech was experiencing shuddering and sudden loss of power.
Now, it's getting a new tranny and ETB... might as well build the EX again.
Sorry to hear about this!!
When was your 2016 Explorer assembled? Someone here posted that in June 2016 Ford had a new PTU design that prevents the gears from walking into the case that would cause overheating issues.

So far I haven't heard of any PTU failures on 2017s and 2018s, but it is still early to tell???

613GT500

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
Sorry to hear about this!!
When was your 2016 Explorer assembled? Someone here posted that in June 2016 Ford had a new PTU design that prevents the gears from walking into the case that would cause overheating issues.

So far I haven't heard of any PTU failures on 2017s and 2018s, but it is still early to tell???
IIRC, mine was built in Nov 2015.

thefranchise713

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Toyota Prius Prime
50k on mine, PTU is getting the fluid changed on Friday.

Tempted to do a Blackstone analysis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SunnysMama

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT 4WD
Just curious how are you changing the PTU fluid? My service advisor told me it was not a serviceable part. Are the newer PTUs serviceable? I did end up replacing all 4 tires & the Explorer is driving like a dream again. Taking it on a road trip this week & hoping all is well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G 2015 Sport - PTU problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
W PTU gone bad Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
T PTU issues covered with ESP Warranty? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D PTU service question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 19
M 2017-up 3.5: PTU or water pump failures Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D PTU Fluid Changed Today Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
T 2017 Explorer Platinum PTU help needed Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
T PTU Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 31
V Flushing PTU with seafoam/Diesle? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
K 2.3 EcoBoost PTU fluid change result. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
kars85 2015 PTU Fluid Change - Heat shield removal question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
M 2016 Explorer XLT PTU *PICS* Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 35
ExPlat New PTU, better performance? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
U PTU/Trans Leak Passenger side Axle Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
P PTU Leak/Safety Issue Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 15
L 2016 Ford Explorer PTU Drain Plug Size Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
E 2017 first PTU oil change and Mod Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
M PTU and Water Pump failures for 2012/2016-up Explorers? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
G 2014 Limited PTU/Rear Diff fluid exchange ?s Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
J PTU Flush Cost Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 20
J Odd sound after PTU replaced Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
L Power Transfer Unit (PTU) Leak Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
A 2015 Explorer Sport Power Transfer Unit (PTU) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
S PTU Change Experience Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
E PTU, CV Joints & Now Transmission? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
C PTU leaks after 4wd engages Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
J Changed my PTU Fluid Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
Daheim111 Transmission, PTU and diff. oil changing / how offen ? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
T PTU drain Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
J Sport transmission and PTU busted Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
L Explorer PTU - Oil Analysis Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 23
L How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 204
S 2016 3.5 NA PTU questions Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
F Leaking PTU Vent Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
M Blackstone Labs PTU Oil Analysis - 2013 XSport - 30,000 Miles Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
A PTU drain plug install? Has anybody added one? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
1 PTU and Rear Diff Fluid Change - 2011 Explorer XLT Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 48
P Anyone ever had a slight shudder on acceleration or PTU replaced due to this? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
I Anyone else have to have the PTU replaced in the 2013 due to exhaust smell/leak? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
K Changing PTU Fluid Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 29
Q TSB 13-9-6, 2013 Explorer PTU Vent Hose Leak Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
L 2013 XLT air condition problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
M New to forum having ac problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
B New member with camera problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
I Battery Disconnection Problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
A Acceleration Problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
T Air Conditioner Problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
N Electrical Problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
J 2014 Explorer Sport electrical problems Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
T Intelligent Access Problems: Drivers Door Unlock Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11