• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

PTU Problems

15Limited

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited 4x4
Wow, this is scary stuff considering the fact that I take my Explorer on real long road trips

Just remember there are hundreds of thousands/millions of Explorers on the road and most do not have PTU problems. My 2015 is doing very well after 4 years of ownership and I've gone on several 500+ mile trips with no problems...(as I probably just jinxed myself ;))

You are likely still within the warranty period, so drive and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
My 2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L N/A with AWD doesn't have a drain plug or a cooler. It's only got a fill plug that is well blocked by the EPAS module, so it isn't any easier to maintain than my 2014 Taurus SHO (non-PP so it only had a fill plug as well).
Sorry to hear yours doesn't have a drain plug. I guess you will have to decide if you want to continue dealing with the more difficult servicing, or possibly consider getting an ESP and not worrying about it.

99SportX

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty
It is definitely a bit concerning. While the dealer is taking care of me and replacing the PTU and part of the transmission case under warranty, it just makes me wonder when it’ll happen again. I am going to inquire with them about PTU fluid change intervals for increasing the lifespan. I have no issue changing fluid myself at a regular interval but I also don’t want to be voiding the warranty if I do it.

613GT500

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
It is definitely a bit concerning. While the dealer is taking care of me and replacing the PTU and part of the transmission case under warranty, it just makes me wonder when it’ll happen again. I am going to inquire with them about PTU fluid change intervals for increasing the lifespan. I have no issue changing fluid myself at a regular interval but I also don’t want to be voiding the warranty if I do it.
No worries about voiding warranty on the PTU, considering most dealers don't even service it.

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
So I dug up the part #s for the various configurations:

DG1Z-7251-F with turbo and with cooler (Explorer Sport / PI Utility 3.5L EB)
DB5Z-7251-G w/o turbo, w/ cooler
DT4Z-7251-G w/ or w/o turbo, w/o cooler

All listed as for vehicles made 6/15/16 and up. This coincides with the approx date for the 3rd change they made to the PTU idler gears.

FB5Z-7251-B, 2.3L Explorer (seems to be unique to the 2.3 Explorer?)

Last edited:

whimsey

Reaction score
City, State
sparta, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Surprisingly our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer has a bottom drain plug on the PTU. It makes changing the fluid easy. This is especially interesting since the 2.3 EB does not heat the oil in the PTU as the 3.5, which does so due to it's exhaust routing against the PTU. I've changed the gear oil out twice, the first time at the dealer at 9,000 miles and the second time at my indie mechanic at 22,000 miles. The next time will be at 42,000 miles. I'll see what it looks like and see whether I can go longer. I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 which should hold up to the stress in the PTU better.

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Interesting. Does it have a cooler?

My Fusion Sport has a cooler and both drain and fill plugs. It uses a TP-50 torx bit for the drain plug. I recall the Fusion Sport using a similar PTU with the Escape.

Last edited:

PlatinumOwner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Well, you can add mine to the list too(Built Mar. 2016.) Failed at 23K mi. No noise, just gear oil smell. Ford is replacing the PTU.

ExPlat

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Well, you can add mine to the list too(Built Mar. 2016.) Failed at 23K mi. No noise, just gear oil smell. Ford is replacing the PTU.
I feel your pain, my 2016 was an June 2015 build that failed at 29k. Hopefully the PTU replacements we are getting last a bit longer.

whimsey

Reaction score
City, State
sparta, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Wow! That's depressing, especially with so few miles on the PTU.

Whimsey

PlatinumOwner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Yeah, it really makes me wonder about those cars with tunes on them especially since mine was stock. The added stresses can’t be good for the PTU.

PlatinumOwner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Picked up the Explorer today. Parts replaced, DG1Z-7251-F Power Takeoff Assembly and DG1Z-7034-F Valve Assembly Vent + Anti-Freeze.

Tech notes: Verified customer concern. Found smell and noise coming from PTU. Removed PTU. Tore down PTU for inspection and found fluid overheated and found bearings overheated causing metal shards. Found bearing damage to all bearings and input shaft damage from metal debris. Installed new PTU. Reversed removal procedure. Installed new vent valve due to contamination with burnt fluid causing odor. Filled transmission to correct level, filled cooling system to correct level. Test drove vehicle. Test drive good.

613GT500

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
Picked up the Explorer today. Parts replaced, DG1Z-7251-F Power Takeoff Assembly and DG1Z-7034-F Valve Assembly Vent + Anti-Freeze.

Tech notes: Verified customer concern. Found smell and noise coming from PTU. Removed PTU. Tore down PTU for inspection and found fluid overheated and found bearings overheated causing metal shards. Found bearing damage to all bearings and input shaft damage from metal debris. Installed new PTU. Reversed removal procedure. Installed new vent valve due to contamination with burnt fluid causing odor. Filled transmission to correct level, filled cooling system to correct level. Test drove vehicle. Test drive good.
Interesting to see reference to new anti-freeze, which leads me to believe there may be lines connected to the ports for water cooling.

PlatinumOwner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Interesting to see reference to new anti-freeze, which leads me to believe there may be lines connected to the ports for water cooling.
Yes, the PTU for the Platinum(DG1Z-7251-F) is the same as the Police Interceptor part and is water cooled. It is also mentioned on the work order about extra time required as the PTU is water cooled.

Part Details for DG1Z-7251-F(From 6/6/2016, superseeds DG1Z7251E)

Edge; 3.5L; w/Hot Weather Group. Explorer; 3.5L; w/Turbo; w/Cooler. Explorer; w/Cooler; w/Turbo; From 9/4/12. Police Interceptor; 3.5L. Taurus; w/SHO Package 1

Last edited:

613GT500

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
Yes, the PTU for the Platinum(DG1Z-7251-F) is the same as the Police Interceptor part and is water cooled. It is also mentioned on the work order about extra time required as the PTU is water cooled.
Correct, but the mystery is whether the original PTU from the factory was the water cooled version.
The original part on my previous 2016 EX Sport was DG1Z-7251-G and when it failed it was replaced with DG1Z-7251-F, but I never had a chance to confirm if the lines were plumbed before I sold the vehicle.

Edit: do you mine sharing the work order, blurring out any personal information?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Are you sure it was DG1Z-7251-G? I tried looking that up and it doesn't show up as a valid part number. Chances are if you have the -F as a replacement, your original PTU was water cooled. The non-cooled PTU isn't exactly a bolt-in replacement. The cooled PTU has a drain plug but uses a temp sender as a fill port, and has extra cooling hoses running around. The non-cooled PTU only has a fill plug, no temp sender, and no extra hoses going to the main cooling hoses.

I kind of wish my 18 XLT has a drain plug, so I can at least change the fluid easier.

613GT500

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
Are you sure it was DG1Z-7251-G? I tried looking that up and it doesn't show up as a valid part number. Chances are if you have the -F as a replacement, your original PTU was water cooled. The non-cooled PTU isn't exactly a bolt-in replacement. The cooled PTU has a drain plug but uses a temp sender as a fill port, and has extra cooling hoses running around. The non-cooled PTU only has a fill plug, no temp sender, and no extra hoses going to the main cooling hoses.

I kind of wish my 18 XLT has a drain plug, so I can at least change the fluid easier.
Before I sold my 2016 EX Sport, I crawled under to look at the to see if the new PTU was plumbed, but I was able to get a clear sight as the cross member covered most of it.
IIRC, DG1Z-7251-G was the older PTU that has since been replaced with DG1Z-7251-F, thus why you can't find it in Ford parts.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I don't see a DG1Z-7251-G. There's DB5Z-7251-G for 3.7L Explorers w/o turbo but w/ cooler. There's DT4Z-7251-G for Explorer/Taurus/Flex/MKS without turbo and without cooler. And AT4Z-7251-G without turbo and without cooler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

613GT500

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
I don't see a DG1Z-7251-G. There's DB5Z-7251-G for 3.7L Explorers w/o turbo but w/ cooler. There's DT4Z-7251-G for Explorer/Taurus/Flex/MKS without turbo and without cooler. And AT4Z-7251-G without turbo and without cooler.
I may have gotten the part# wrong, but I'm quite certain that non PIU Explorers did not come with a water cooled PTU off the assembly line.
IIRC, there was a member on here who paid around $3000 for the upgrade on his 2018 EX Sport or Platinum, which was highlighted as a paid option on his window sticker.