PTU Problems | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey Peter, it's been a while. We are about to start our drive from Colorado to Ottawa next week and I noticed some oil in my garage, I have had 3 different quotes now with all of them being different and at least 1 thinks the whole PTU needs to be replaced and 1 of the other ones thought just the seals. The Explorer has about 87k Miles on it now. Midas quoted me $1860 to do the job. If this is such a common issue why has ford not done anything about it? That article 2 pages back said these should last a life time.....

Did they break down part vs labor? You can get a PTU from the US for $730 before currency conversion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they break down part vs labor? You can get a PTU from the US for $730 before currency conversion.
Member lives in Colorado.;)

Would be interesting to see what the "Book" Ford labor charge would be if you grabbed a PTU for $730usd and then walked in and said, "can you re & re my PTU?"

Would be interesting to see what the "Book" Ford labor charge would be if you grabbed a PTU for $730usd and then walked in and said, "can you re & re my PTU?"

I can't see it being more then 3-4 hours. Put it up on the rack, remove, replace, put it back on the ground.

So advance auto parts and other places have 2 PTU's list one for a little over a grand and one for 1200 or so. Both give back money if you return your old one I think 300 and 400 respectively.

Midas quoted 1900...$1400 for the part and they did not mention the refund and just under 5 hours labour.

I have had no issues so I am hoping I just need the seals done.

When people say they are 700 here are they factoring that refund?

I was also told I need new strut bearings and I should just replace the struts...

So advance auto parts and other places have 2 PTU's list one for a little over a grand and one for 1200 or so. Both give back money if you return your old one I think 300 and 400 respectively.

Midas quoted 1900...$1400 for the part and they did not mention the refund and just under 5 hours labour.

I have had no issues so I am hoping I just need the seals done.

When people say they are 700 here are they factoring that refund?

I was also told I need new strut bearings and I should just replace the struts...

No core charge. Would need to call with VIN to match up.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...t/transfer-case-scat/?part_name=transfer-case

Wow, different places charge quite a bit more....Midas quoted me $3200 for the PTU, Struts and strut mounts and labour. A local shop quoted me $2050 for all the same work.

Wow, different places charge quite a bit more....Midas quoted me $3200 for the PTU, Struts and strut mounts and labour. A local shop quoted me $2050 for all the same work.
Did you get a quote from your local Ford dealer? Parts & labour have 24 month warranty.

No, I did not know that.......

Thank you for that info Peter, I called Ford and they are doing it tomorrow. They quoted me $350 more then they beat my other quote by lowering it by $390. SO now I get it done right away and have the warranty on the part and work.

Thank you again for the info.

Thank you for that info Peter, I called Ford and they are doing it tomorrow. They quoted me $350 more then they beat my other quote by lowering it by $390. SO now I get it done right away and have the warranty on the part and work.

Thank you again for the info.

As Peter stated, 2 year warranty but also unlimited miles.

2013 explorer 111000 mi. when changing my oil today, I noticed the PTU/ Trany was leaking. The fluid was very dark gray almost like graphite oil. I have no symptoms of grinding and it seems like this seal is the problem. What are the chances the PTU is shot? I noticed some odd fluid smells over the last week so I assume it has been building up.

No reason to expect the PTU is shot. At 45,000 I vacuumed out the oil in our 2014 and it was way overdue. It was jet black and thicker than new gear lube. In your case if you have the seal changed they would have to refill with new oil. I have driven about a 1000 miles since I did the vacuum. I am planning on doing it again this weekend and once more later this summer. From that point forward I will do it every time I change oil.

Is there a huge cost difference to replace the whole PTU vs. just the seal. Obviously the part is more but would the labor be about the same.

I did just talk to the Ford service department and he asked if the leakage was very black and smell odd. He said it is best to just change the whole unit at that point. does anyone have other thoughts?

I did just talk to the Ford service department and he asked if the leakage was very black and smell odd. He said it is best to just change the whole unit at that point. does anyone have other thoughts?
This issue was discussed on the previous page. Not sure if read that or not.

Peter

This issue was discussed on the previous page. Not sure if read that or not.

Peter
Any idea of the page. This thread goes back to 2013 and I don't have all day to go through the entire thing

Any idea of the page. This thread goes back to 2013 and I don't have all day to go through the entire thing
The previous page, page 10

Does this look like it is just the seal or by the color of the oil will i need to replace the PTU? I have not really had any performance issues that I can tell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does this look like it is just the seal or by the color of the oil will i need to replace the PTU? I have not really had any performance issues that I can tell.
No picture. You can use a 3rd party site like Photobucket and link to it or take out a $20 Elite membership which will allow you to post from your device and helps to support the site and give you other benefits as well.

Peter

Back