PTU Problems | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I thought there was no binding in the PTU when driven easily since the rear differential was not engaging to connect the front axle to the rear and there always is some slippage. Fords saying it "boils" over due to the model with vent tube has a hose that slips off or the inside of the case is already full of sludge not allowing the splash control devices to keep the fluid from exiting the vent, I don't know, just what I've seen. They did make the case stronger later on so maybe hard acceleration puts too much stress on the old unit?

http://www.southwayford.com/blog/how-does-ford-intelligent-4wd-system-work/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did your fluid look like this?

The stuff in my wife's CX9 wasn't that bad. It was definitely black, but it was still somewhat fluid(not goopy).

SSM 45053 – 2007-2015 Various Vehicles Equipped With AllWheel Drive – Propane, Or Natural Gas Odor During Idle OrLow Speed Driving
Some 2013-2015 MKZ vehicles equipped with a 3.7L, 2007-2014 Edge, 2007-2015 MKX, 2011-2015 Explorer, 2009-2015 Flex, 2010-2015 MKT, 2008-2015 Taurus, 2008-2009Taurus X, 2009-2015 MKS, 2007-2012 Fusion/MKZ, and 2007-2011 Milan vehicles equipped with a PTU may exhibit a propane, or natural gas odor from the HVAC systemafter driving the vehicle for 20-45 minutes. This odor, if present, is most noticeable while idling or during low speed driving. Inspect the PTU for fluid leaks and repair any leaks per Workshop Manual Section 308-07B. If odor is still present after the leak repair and cleaning, replace the PTU and vent hose, if equipped. For vehicles with no leaks and odor present, replace the PTU along with thePTU vent hose, if equipped. Refer to Section 7 of the SLTS manual for the appropriate labor operations.

Just had a 16’ PIU scatter it’s PTU at 13,x.. miles this week. Left a nice exit wound in the case. That tells me the reliability hasnt increased that much through 16’. We’ll see how the 17’s do.

Sorry to hear that - were there any warning signs? Dark oil on the floor/odor? How did the fluid look in the case?

I wonder if the oil turned to sludge and the bearings suffered, or if it was a freak occurrence.

Glad that it was under warranty.

not playing the blame game but do you think you drive the vehicle hard or at high speed quite often. Is your build date on the driver door jamb 2015 or 2016?

Sorry to hear that - were there any warning signs? Dark oil on the floor/odor? How did the fluid look in the case?

I wonder if the oil turned to sludge and the bearings suffered, or if it was a freak occurrence.

Glad that it was under warranty.

It’s an in service police vehicle, so it is driven hard. Build date is 3/16 if I remember correctly. But catastrophic failure at 13k doesn’t bode well for the PTU update. That’s the 4th failure out of about 80 PIU’s we have on the street. The first 16’.

I only have 2800 miles on the Ex. Found an oil spot on the ground in the garage and took it in. Ford said its a PTU seal leak. It's about a two to three hour job. They got the part for me in one day, taking it in next week!
Has anyone had a PTU seal leak yet?
You are lucky my 2013 went out at 110000 miles. I think it was around $1,600.

I must have glazed over when you wrote PIU and I quoted the wrong post:thumbsup:. I was just wondering if it might be related to not rotating tires often enough as mentioned earlier in post 351.

It’s an in service police vehicle, so it is driven hard. Build date is 3/16 if I remember correctly. But catastrophic failure at 13k doesn’t bode well for the PTU update. That’s the 4th failure out of about 80 PIU’s we have on the street. The first 16’.

UPDATE: 10/31/17. Only 6 1/2 months later, Ford finally took care of the odor from the PTU exploding.
Secondly, the "bucking/shudder/hesitation" has finally been recognized by the dealer. They state that there are multiple misfires, but cannot determine what is causing them. At this point they have decided it needs a special fuel induction service, which will be performed next week.
On a side note, the construction company I work for, we have a fleet of Silverado pickups. We have been having a big problem, which is similar, and it is due to a plastic gasket on the intake manifold. They experience hesitation around 60 mph, similar to my issue.
I'm not a car guy, and have no idea what a fuel induction is, but I hope this fixes my problem!

Doesn't sound like it will hurt it. :)
But is it a fix? I will keep you posted. (I'm not feeling that confident it will fix my consistent "bucking/shudder/hesitation", which occurs exactly in 6th gear only, starting at about 58 mph, and higher). If it shifts into 5th, it stops

Just had to chime in and say that my ptu was just replaced, squeaked in under warranty by a month. 85,000 on the clock.

Still didn’t fix the problem. Now they want to drop a scope into the engine.

Still didn’t fix the problem. Now they want to drop a scope into the engine.
If the engine runs fine in 'Park' at the same RPM as you feel the shudder etc. when driving then I'm guessing it isn't an engine issue, but it's just a guess. It seems to me that it seems to be more related to items associated with the drive train. Perhaps the transmission? Are you able to drive at 58+ mph using the paddle shifters to see if it still shudders?

Peter

When I use the paddles, and shift from 6th into 5th, it stops. It only occurs in 6th gear, when I accelerate, and remains in 6th. That’s when the bucking occurs.
The tech at the dealer is suspecting the PTU (yes, this is the replacement PTU) may be faulty. So far, they’ve replaced the drive shaft, rear axles, a turbo, and recently did the fuel induction service.

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the PTU, but since the issue only occurs in 6th gear I'm guessing a possible issue with the transmission. Especially since it seems they've replaced everything else associated to the drive train. Wish you luck Kurt.

Peter

Thanks for your input, and guidance to other areas in this forum. I will come back and post the end result, when/if they fix it

Thanks for posting this SSM. My Explorer was having this exact issue for the last 6 months and is now in the shop getting the PTU replaced. (After the second trip to the dealer to try and fix the issue...)

Cheers,
-jw

SSM 45053 – 2007-2015 Various Vehicles Equipped With AllWheel Drive – Propane, Or Natural Gas Odor During Idle OrLow Speed Driving
Some 2013-2015 MKZ vehicles equipped with a 3.7L, 2007-2014 Edge, 2007-2015 MKX, 2011-2015 Explorer, 2009-2015 Flex, 2010-2015 MKT, 2008-2015 Taurus, 2008-2009Taurus X, 2009-2015 MKS, 2007-2012 Fusion/MKZ, and 2007-2011 Milan vehicles equipped with a PTU may exhibit a propane, or natural gas odor from the HVAC systemafter driving the vehicle for 20-45 minutes. This odor, if present, is most noticeable while idling or during low speed driving. Inspect the PTU for fluid leaks and repair any leaks per Workshop Manual Section 308-07B. If odor is still present after the leak repair and cleaning, replace the PTU and vent hose, if equipped. For vehicles with no leaks and odor present, replace the PTU along with thePTU vent hose, if equipped. Refer to Section 7 of the SLTS manual for the appropriate labor operations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm on my 15th-20th trip to the dealer(s). First dealer basically told me it was my imagination because it wasn't throwing any error codes. So far the second dealer replaced a PTU, turbo, drive shaft, rear half axles, did a fuel induction service, and none of these have resolved the bucking/shudder in 6th gear.
It's been at the dealer a week now, they have found the engine is throwing multiple misfires, and currently have the transmission pulled to check the torque converter.
This all occurred on 4/1/17, and still not resolved.

Back