• Register Today It's free!

PTU toast?

Nw2016explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Puyallup wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer platinum
Hey guys tonight I was going to tackle this ptu oil replacement in my 2016 ford explorer platinum with 50k and after getting under the car I noticed that the rear seal was leaking a bit and throwing around the fluid does not look like a ton nothing on ground but I can see it’s a bit damp also there is some fluid splatter that looks like it has been there for a while. So my question is, is this thing toast? I have an appointment with my local dealer to do some recalls and I have an aftermarket warranty when I purchased the car at 25k miles. I guess the question is should I try to get it replaced or just a fluid and seal change? I’m not noticing any grinding or issues. Only thing I can think of is sometimes we get what feels like a motor mount shift In between shifts some time to time but not much. Also there is some writing on the ptu some I’m not sure if it has been replaced before.Please give me some Input!!

IMG_9608.jpeg

IMG_9607.jpeg

IMG_9609.jpeg

IMG_9610.jpeg

IMG_9611.jpeg

IMG_9617.jpeg

IMG_9616.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some seepage from the driveshaft seal but that's nothing I'd be too worried about. That PTU looks very original and untouched. The splatter is a bit concerning. Is that grease spots or some kind of fluid?

Some seepage from the driveshaft seal but that's nothing I'd be too worried about. That PTU looks very original and untouched. The splatter is a bit concerning. Is that grease spots or some kind of fluid?
Looks like grease honestly, thought it was road grime when I did oil changes but all this ptu reading has my nervous

Looks like grease honestly, thought it was road grime when I did oil changes but all this ptu reading has my nervous
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
A failing PTU will usually give off a propane/natural gas-type smell. If the warranty a Ford ESP warranty or a 3rd party one?
It is usually difficult to give an accurate diagnosis over the Internet. If concerned, have it checked out by a mechanic.

Peter

IT looks fine to me. I don't see any tranny fluid any where, so I'd leave it alone.

Don't know what that spatter could be, but it seems old and static.

Meh.

Hey guys tonight I was going to tackle this ptu oil replacement in my 2016 ford explorer platinum with 50k and after getting under the car I noticed that the rear seal was leaking a bit and throwing around the fluid does not look like a ton nothing on ground but I can see it’s a bit damp also there is some fluid splatter that looks like it has been there for a while. So my question is, is this thing toast? I have an appointment with my local dealer to do some recalls and I have an aftermarket warranty when I purchased the car at 25k miles. I guess the question is should I try to get it replaced or just a fluid and seal change? I’m not noticing any grinding or issues. Only thing I can think of is sometimes we get what feels like a motor mount shift In between shifts some time to time but not much. Also there is some writing on the ptu some I’m not sure if it has been replaced before.Please give me some Input!!
I would measure the fluid that comes out of the PTU before making a decision. They only hold a little less than a quart of fluid so any amount of fluid appreciably less than this would tilt me towards getting them to replace the unit. If it is close to a quart then just replacing the seal(s) would probably be sufficient. PTUs run hot because they are surrounded by the engine, transmission and exhaust which heat soaks them continuously. If it has gone 50k miles with insufficient lubrication, then there is a good chance the internals have been damaged to some degree.

1682095146446.png

Peter

Back