PTU / Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jackwrn

Reaction score
City, State
NEW BRAUNFELS, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited 4WD
11 explorer limited 4WD. Have recently experienced what I think is transmission slippage/shutter at highway speeds when accelerating to pass a vehicle. Description of a hesitation and lunge 3 or 4 times before kicking in to pass, not really a Jenking action. Then last night at a steady 55 mph felt and heard 3 thuds in the floorboard. This morning i jacked up the vehicle to inspect and also found dark black fluid leaking from the PTU. Was wondering if the PTU could be the issue instead of the transmission. Searching I've found the PTU to be surrounded by nothing but heat and I haven't serviced since Ive had it 144k miles

20201025_105758.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With mileage that high, chances are good the fluid sludged up in the ptu and it’s now beginning to fail. The part is around $900 on ebay and isn’t much fun to swap out.

With mileage that high, chances are good the fluid sludged up in the ptu and it’s now beginning to fail. The part is around $900 on ebay and isn’t much fun to swap out.
I see them going for $550-650 on Amazon. Dorman makes one as well.

I'm assuming it just consist of removing the axle shafts on the front and disconnecting the PTU from the rear driveshaft. Time consuming but I don't think it's of much difficulty if the tools and a garage are available.

Welcome to the Forum Jack. :wave:
Definitely looks like the PTU at least needs service or more likely, replacement.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Jack. :wave:
Definitely looks like the PTU at least needs service or more likely, replacement.

Peter
If the ptu is failing, would it give a slipping fealing while driving. I do not know if the ptu is simply made up of gear drives or if there is clutches involved

Don't know for sure but seeing as it is part of the drivetrain I'm guessing that it's possible. It has been reported that a failing PTU gives off a propane type smell.

Peter

I see them going for $550-650 on Amazon. Dorman makes one as well.

I'm assuming it just consist of removing the axle shafts on the front and disconnecting the PTU from the rear driveshaft. Time consuming but I don't think it's of much difficulty if the tools and a garage are available.

I’ve used Dorman parts several times, and for basic stuff like hoses and cup plugs their stuff is okay, but I stay away from it whenever the part has either precision machined components or sensors involved. It’s all reverse-engineered off the OEM stuff and in my experience Dorman, like most other aftermarket companies spends very little time on validation and the components are often sub-par. I’ve spent 25 years in the auto industry + fix cars as a side job; I’ve been burned too many times by cheap aftermarket parts. There is a lot of junk out there...use at your own risk.

If the ptu is failing, would it give a slipping fealing while driving. I do not know if the ptu is simply made up of gear drives or if there is clutches involved

There aren’t any clutches in the ptu that can slip; if the oil has in fact turned to sludge and the unit isn’t getting any lubrication, what is probably happening is it is starting to seize up and bind. It will feel like a shudder.

Here is the inside of the last one I replaced on a Flex...I tried saving it by flushing it with gear lube a few times but it was too worn. It started leaking as well.
4E303BE7-B39F-4E9F-B9A9-E39AE21C41CA.jpeg

I’ve used Dorman parts several times, and for basic stuff like hoses and cup plugs their stuff is okay, but I stay away from it whenever the part has either precision machined components or sensors involved. It’s all reverse-engineered off the OEM stuff and in my experience Dorman, like most other aftermarket companies spends very little time on validation and the components are often sub-par. I’ve spent 25 years in the auto industry + fix cars as a side job; I’ve been burned too many times by cheap aftermarket parts. There is a lot of junk out there...use at your own risk.
Thanks for the input, I have a pretty good source for used parts and located transmission and ptu for $850. 65k mile vehicle

Back