• Register Today It's free!

PTU - Power Transfer Unit

toad350

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT ecoboost
Do all explorers have a PTU or just the all wheel drive models? What is the oil change interval? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since the Power Transfer Unit transfers power from front to rear, a FWD Explorer would not have one. There is no scheduled maintenance for the PTU although if you read the threads on PTU failures etc, you will see that some members have deceided to set their own fluid replacement schedules. In the 2016+ Explorers a message will pop up saying "Change 4WD Power Transfer Unit Lube" when the PTU requires servicing. It holds 1.1 qts of fluid.

Peter

Since the Power Transfer Unit transfers power from front to rear, a FWD Explorer would not have one. There is no scheduled maintenance for the PTU although if you read the threads on PTU failures etc, you will see that some members have deceided to set their own fluid replacement schedules. In the 2016+ Explorers a message will pop up saying "Change 4WD Power Transfer Unit Lube" when the PTU requires servicing. It holds 1.1 qts of fluid.

Peter
Everyone is free to believe and parrot what they want, but there is a maintenance schedule for the ptu and it does not hold 1.1 quarts of fluid.

Everyone is free to believe and parrot what they want, but there is a maintenance schedule for the ptu and it does not hold 1.1 quarts of fluid.
Where is that maintenance schedule published. There isn't one in the owners manual. The only mention of PTU in my owners manual is "Edge/MKX AWD only - vehicles operating off-road in sand during high ambient temperatures must replace the AWD PTU lube every 20,000 miles. That section of the owners manual is generic and includes class a motorhomes as well.

I have never seen any maintenance schedule either for it. Nothing in the manual that says to change it on my old one.

And it holds 18oz of fluid I believe.

Where is that maintenance schedule published. There isn't one in the owners manual. The only mention of PTU in my owners manual is "Edge/MKX AWD only - vehicles operating off-road in sand during high ambient temperatures must replace the AWD PTU lube every 20,000 miles. That section of the owners manual is generic and includes class a motorhomes as well.
My 2016 OM, page 492-493, only mentions PTU maintenance under Axle Maintenance: Exceptions.
Exceptions:
There are several exceptions to the Normal Schedule:
Axle maintenance: The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) in your vehicle does not require any normal scheduled maintenance. The system is electronically monitored and notifies the driver of required service by displaying a message in the information display. The PTU lube will be more likely to require a fluid change if the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme/severe duty cycle driving. Do not check or change the PTU lubricant unless the unit has been submerged in water, shows signs of leakage or a message indicating required service is displayed*. Contact your authorized dealer for service and to reset the PTU lube life monitor.
--

• The 2016 OM, page 347-348 for the 3.5L Ecoboost has this under 'Capacities and Specifications':
Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) - 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L)
• The 2016 OM, page 344 for the 3.5L Duratec the PTU capacity is the same at:
Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) - 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L)

NOTE: Important Capacity difference!
The 2.3L EcoBoost Explorer has a different PTU capacity listed on page 340:
Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) - 23.7 fl oz (700 ml)

* Personal note: This message was displayed on my dashboard when the PTU failed at 28k miles.

^^^ right, so no maintenance schedule as Peter said.

From the 2020 Owner's Manual;

Transfer Case
Capacities
Variant Quantity
All. 1.1 qt (1 L)

Peter

From the 2020 Owner's Manual;

Transfer Case
Capacities
Variant Quantity
All. 1.1 qt (1 L)

Peter

That's a 2020, we are in the 5th gen :crazy:

I just replied to the initial post that asked if ALL Explorers have a PTU and if there was a maintenance schedule. Guess I should have left out the amount of fluid it holds.:oops:
Flipping back and forth between Forums and Manuals gets a bit confusing for an old guy.:confused:

Peter

I just replied to the initial post that asked if ALL Explorers have a PTU and if there was a maintenance schedule. Guess I should have left out the amount of fluid it holds.:oops:
Flipping back and forth between Forums and Manuals gets a bit confusing for an old guy.:confused:

Peter

Hey hey now.. dont be blaming your confusion on old age lol.. jk.. to be fair, the 2020 doesnt have a PTU, it has a transfer case.

Unofficial, just me recommendation: Change every 30k for success. My PTU fluid, analyzed by Blackstone, was end of life at 50k. YMMV.

I have never seen any maintenance schedule either for it. Nothing in the manual that says to change it on my old one.

And it holds 18oz of fluid I believe.

I've posted it before. Ford has a ptu maintenance schedule online (also coolant, rear diff, and spark plugs that varies from the various printed manuals). It used to have a schedule for all 16+, but Ford has changed/modified it a few times. Last I checked, they pulled it for 16, but left it for 17, not sure on 18.

There are more places to find info than just a printed owners manual. I wonder about some around here and how they get through day to day life sometimes.

I've posted it before. Ford has a ptu maintenance schedule online (also coolant, rear diff, and spark plugs that varies from the various printed manuals). It used to have a schedule for all 16+, but Ford has changed/modified it a few times. Last I checked, they pulled it for 16, but left it for 17, not sure on 18.
There are more places to find info than just a printed owners manual. I wonder about some around here and how they get through day to day life sometimes.
KayGee, normally I enjoy reading your informative posts but the snide remarks in the last couple were unbecoming of your status here.
Your Post #475 that is buried in the other PTU thread is a good one and should be a 'Sticky' for all to see easily. I seriously doubt the general car buying public has any idea that there are Fleet or other service schedules.
Even so, a lot of us are aware of the potential problems with PTU's and I requested early PTU service at <20k miles from Dealers, I was denied by 3 different Dealers and others on this Board were denied as well. My car has never experienced any of the reasons for PTU service, Retail or Fleet, but failed at 29k miles, it was serviced then by the same Dealer that denied me preventative service in the first place.
Without an authorized PTU service any warranty claim could have been voided by Ford, it's a vicious circle.

icon_deadhorse.gif

I could give a rat's behind if there is something online or if it has to do with fleet or not.

All the books in the globe box which are the manual (with scheduled maintenance intervals) and warranty guide do not say anything. It is actually to the contrary where it says nothing should be done unless you get a warning. A 1/4 of a million people buy these every year and if there was suggested or required maintenance, it should be in the manual PERIOD.

I do not go google searching for a mystery book or guide online with the expectations that the manufacturer left something out.

As Explat stated, I am in the same boat that most of your posts are very educational but these last few are ridiculous.

Where is it online? At owner.ford.com? Because last time I checked that gave the same info as the printed owners manual.

If you're gonna be a dick, back it up.

Where is it online? At owner.ford.com?
KayGee has posted the link to Ford's Maintenance schedule in Post 475 of that very long PTU thread I linked to above.

FYI, that Ford.com link is here:
Maintenance Schedule | Maintenance | Official Ford Owner Site
You fill in the blanks and the schedule of service is given in a new window. For any operating condition other than 'Normal' it now shows the PTU as needing a Lube change at 30k miles. What it may have said prior to this is anyone's guess. I suppose an Owner would have to print that page out and take it to the typical Dealer to get them to service the PTU.

Like this:
Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 5.57.51 PM.png

Mod's: Why not add the Ford Maintenance link that KayGee provided into the Sticky's

KayGee has posted the link to Ford's Maintenance schedule in Post 475 of that very long PTU thread I linked to above.

FYI, that Ford.com link is here:
Maintenance Schedule | Maintenance | Official Ford Owner Site
You fill in the blanks and the schedule of service is given in a new window. For any operating condition other than 'Normal' it now shows the PTU as needing a Lube change at 30k miles. What it may have said prior to this is anyone's guess. I suppose an Owner would have to print that page out and take it to the typical Dealer to get them to service the PTU.

Like this:
View attachment 172052

Mod's: Why not add the Ford Maintenance link that KayGee provided into the Sticky's
Ah, thank you, I had clicked through but negated to change the setting from normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, but it isn't on my schedule.
Screenshot_20190720-213446_Chrome.jpg

I am not a fleet operator nor do I qualify under severe duty. I have 152,000 miles and have followed the recommend service schedule as it appears in my owners manual and online.

Before you make claims of definitive fact and insult people's intelligence make sure you are actually correct.

Back