PTU - Power Transfer Unit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PTU - Power Transfer Unit

Fact of the matter is, maintenance schedules are a personal choice. Some choose to extend maintenance intervals (oil analysis or other voodoo), some follow what the oe says is "normal", others follow the severe/fleet schedules, and others just do whatever they want.

Fact of the matter is though, if you look, you can probably find a severe/fleet/whatever you want to call it schedule that will differ from "normal". Unfortunately, a lot of starts/stops, short trips, use of remote start, excessive idling, and a whole host of other things most people consider "normal" use, probably fall under "severe" use.

Another twist is that some people sometimes get luckier than others, or unluckier. Everyone is free to do what they want and follow whatever schedule/ritual that they like. Just know that there is a more severe maintenance schedule. Ignore it if you wish, but let's not say, or act like, it doesn't exist.

Happy Sunday. Plenty of time to get panties unbunched before the "normal" work week begins again tomorrow...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford designed the ptu to be maint free. Why else would they not add a two dollar drain plug.

Ford designed it to be maintenance free...throughout the term of their warranty obligation.

A quart of gear lube is cheap enough and it isn’t hard to evacuate the fluid out, I don’t see why anyone would want to take the risk of not changing it. When it starts making noise it will be too late for a fluid change and your repair bill will be exponentially higher than what the fluid changes would have been over time.

Do all explorers have a PTU or just the all wheel drive models? What is the oil change interval? Thanks
It is a poor imitation of a transfer case. They were not designed to be serviced, most don't have a filler plug. If you search the internet you will find some videos of changing the lube. Ford does not service them, if they leak or get noisy or actually break, the dealer will sell you a new one or if under warranty, replace it.
I manage a fleet of about 100 police versions, about 25 died under warranty (100,000 miles on cop cars) and I have bought about a dozen. Very poor system. Hopefully the 2020's will have a more traditional design (I have 18 ordered, expected delivery date is mid Oct.)

It is a poor imitation of a transfer case. They were not designed to be serviced, most don't have a filler plug. If you search the internet you will find some videos of changing the lube. Ford does not service them, if they leak or get noisy or actually break, the dealer will sell you a new one or if under warranty, replace it.
I manage a fleet of about 100 police versions, about 25 died under warranty (100,000 miles on cop cars) and I have bought about a dozen. Very poor system. Hopefully the 2020's will have a more traditional design (I have 18 ordered, expected delivery date is mid Oct.)
What are some of the signs of a PTU going bad? I serviced mine myself but would like to be prepared for what may come.

I think I've read that some members noticed a propane type smell.

Peter

What are some of the signs of a PTU going bad? I serviced mine myself but would like to be prepared for what may come.

I think I've read that some members noticed a propane type smell.

Peter

Propane smell, but I think it'll pop up with a message. Apparently if the fluid reaches over 340F (or something close to that), it needs to be changed ASAP, otherwise its lifetime.

If the fluid gets hot enough to vent significantly, you could get excess smell, but since it is vented, you could get smell regardless. The signs of a failing ptu would typically be noise related as the gears or bearings wear/fail, and/or metal shavings in the fluid. Unfortunately, unless you have spidey senses or change your fluid very regularly to monitor, by the time you hear/see the signs, the ptu is likely done for.

The PTU is not a Ford only problem. Other manufacturers are having similar issues. My friends cherokee just had one put in it. I am not familiar with their system but he said he had a put fail. Since the engineer from Land Rover designed the Explorer and they are similar vehicles I wonder if they have problems also

I don’t get why ford can’t make a reliable unit after 10 years or more. Kind of ridiculous if u ask me. Maybe heat from catalytic converter is one factor. Other theory is some units generate more heat from manufacturing tolerances. Tighter gear mesh causing extra heat. Either way it’s a sad affair and a reliability weakness at best.

I changed ptu oil for first time on my 2008 rav with similar powered v6 and 110k miles. Oil looked great and was minimal metal on drain plug magnet. Go figure. A reliable ptu is possible. Also changed the water pump on same engine for a days work and $200 in parts....

I don’t get why ford can’t make a reliable unit after 10 years or more. Kind of ridiculous if u ask me. Maybe heat from catalytic converter is one factor. Other theory is some units generate more heat from manufacturing tolerances. Tighter gear mesh causing extra heat. Either way it’s a sad affair and a reliability weakness at best.

I changed ptu oil for first time on my 2008 rav with similar powered v6 and 110k miles. Oil looked great and was minimal metal on drain plug magnet. Go figure. A reliable ptu is possible. Also changed the water pump on same engine for a days work and $200 in parts....
Depends on how the manufacturer specs and sources the part and then how the supplier executes (i.e. do they cut corners?).

There have been 3 updates to the ptu with the last only 2 years ago, so it may be some time until we all know if the latest design is better overall and lasts longer in general.

Mine had the newer PTU design as far as I knew (2.3L), fluid still tested shot, but with no mechanical degradation. Incremental improvements, I suppose?

It's now 2023, November, and I just bought a 2016 Explorer Limited with 280,000 highway kms (is this a US thread - should I use miles?) 175,000 miles and I took it to a Ford dealer and asked if I could have the PTU oil changed. They weren't sure. They'd call me if not. They didn't call. They did the work, but the service record says

Request: change fluid PTU - Transfer case front one
Part: Oil - rear axle
Part: CXY 75W140 1L6*
Technician Correction: "Serviced front PTU"
* (1.6 litres?)

Now I'm left wondering what actually happened. If they did the front PTU, that's great. And I am writing to tell people it can be done for a 2016. But I'm kind of crossing my fingers here though.

It's now 2023, November, and I just bought a 2016 Explorer Limited with 280,000 highway kms (is this a US thread - should I use miles?) 175,000 miles and I took it to a Ford dealer and asked if I could have the PTU oil changed. They weren't sure. They'd call me if not. They didn't call. They did the work, but the service record says

* (1.6 litres?)

Now I'm left wondering what actually happened. If they did the front PTU, that's great. And I am writing to tell people it can be done for a 2016. But I'm kind of crossing my fingers here though.
That reads to me that you requested the PTU be serviced, The CXY 75W140 1L6 is a part # for Motorcraft 75w140 gear oil in a 1Qt bottle, and that the technician "serviced" the PTU which is changing the gear oil.

* (1.6 litres?)

Welcome to the Forum Rob. :wave:
I believe you are the first member from Lanark.
According to the Owner's Manual, the PTU capacity is only 0.53 L (17.9 fl oz).

Peter

The PTU on the 3.5 Liter Engines, Ecoboost or Non ecoboost hold less then a quart of gear oil.
the ones with the cooler on the side have a drain plug, the fill plug is used by the temp sensor for the PTU with a cooler.
The PTUs without a cooler don't have a drain plug, and the fill plug does not have a temp sensor in it.

30,000 miles is what Ford recommends for changing the fluid now, so it wont be in any older owner's manuals.

I have mine done at an independent shop (non dealer).

2018 Explorer Palatium, had the PTU fluid changed twice now, due again in about 8000 miles.

No issues with it so far.

Do all explorers have a PTU or just the all wheel drive models? What is the oil change interval? Thanks
Only the Awd models. And my manual says never needs servicing but that's just crazy, imho. It's a big topic of discussion, though.

Welcome to the Forum Rob. :wave:
I believe you are the first member from Lanark.
According to the Owner's Manual, the PTU capacity is only 0.53 L (17.9 fl oz).

Peter
Ahoy to Russel! I can almost see you from here. LOL

Thanks for the info. I see it now, under Capacities and Specs.

I also see that the Name of the lubricant (p.346) for the PTU (which is at the front) is Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant CXY-75W140-1L. That explains a lot, as I was confused by the description for my (front) PTU lube change being described as OIL-REAR AXLE, and the mechanic's "Correction - Serviced Front PTU". I think I'm good. I just wish I knew these Perth Ford people well enough to have asked them how the oil was after never being changed in nearly 300,000 kms!

Thanks
My 2016 OM, page 492-493, only mentions PTU maintenance under Axle Maintenance: Exceptions.
Exceptions:
There are several exceptions to the Normal Schedule:
Axle maintenance: The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) in your vehicle does not require any normal scheduled maintenance. The system is electronically monitored and notifies the driver of required service by displaying a message in the information display. The PTU lube will be more likely to require a fluid change if the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme/severe duty cycle driving. Do not check or change the PTU lubricant unless the unit has been submerged in water, shows signs of leakage or a message indicating required service is displayed*. Contact your authorized dealer for service and to reset the PTU lube life monitor.
--

• The 2016 OM, page 347-348 for the 3.5L Ecoboost has this under 'Capacities and Specifications':
Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) - 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L)
• The 2016 OM, page 344 for the 3.5L Duratec the PTU capacity is the same at:
Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) - 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L)

NOTE: Important Capacity difference!

The 2.3L EcoBoost Explorer has a different PTU capacity listed on page 340:
Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) - 23.7 fl oz (700 ml)

* Personal note: This message was displayed on my dashboard when the PTU failed at 28k miles.
I know I'm replying to a 4 year old message but thanks anyway. This is what my manual says too. I had trouble finding it myself.

Only the Awd models. And my manual says never needs servicing but that's just crazy, imho. It's a big topic of discussion, though.
I would like to point out that it says it doesn't have a service schedule but that it is monitored by the system and will notify you if it needs to be changed. Unfortunately, that might be too late, as some people have said. Doing it every 50,000 or 60,000km seems like a reasonable balance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back