Puddle Light Bulb Replacement-2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle Light Bulb Replacement-2002 Explorer

Brian Walker

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
How do I change the bulb in the outside mirror of my 2002 Explorer?

Brian Walker
Victoria,B.C.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't done this cauz my puddle lamps havent gone out yet but I think I remember seeing maybe one or two screws that hold the clear plastic covering on.

I wish it were so! There are no screws that is the reason I have posted this message.

Brian Walker

Oh its really easy. Search the "puddle lamp led" mod on here it tells you how to get it off.

But what they tell you to do is take something really thin like a butter knife and you have to push it up the side of the puddle lamp and theres this little catch think up there and once you unhook it, it slides right out.

Just pop the glass out with a thin blade knife, like a butter knife. The bulb will be right under the glass. It's kind of a pain to get the glass out, but it will just pop out.

Thanks fellas, looks like the answer to my problem. I was intriqued by the info on LEDs. I can see the common flash light as we now know it will be obsolete in a very short while.

Brian Walker

Thanks fellas, looks like the answer to my problem. I was intriqued by the info on LEDs. I can see the common flash light as we now know it will be obsolete in a very short while.

Brian Walker

I've been using LED flashlights for quite a while now... It's THE way to go!

One of these days I'm going to order all LED's (except headlights/flood) for my X, I've just been busy with spending time on other projects...

Where can I buy a puddle light for my 2002 Ford Explorer? Mine broke.

Where can I buy a puddle light for my 2002 Ford Explorer? Mine broke.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Are you talking about the lens for the puddle light on the bottom of the mirror?

As far as I know, the lens cannot be purchased separately. There are some threads about people making them out of CD cases. Maybe try the junk yard for a smashed mirror that has a good lens. That way they shouldn't charge too much!

Good luck with the hunt! :)

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Talking about entire puddle light

Hi there,

Welcome aboard!! :salute:
The entire puddle light needs to be replaced. Al of a sudden it was hanging from the side view mirror. The plastic encasement split. I think the light work and the translucent part of the fixture on the bottom of the piece still work.

Since you said it might not be able to be bought separately, I can try crazy
glue to put it together and hope the light bulb and fixture still work. I looked in the Ford Motor Parts site on line and didn't find anything.

I will also check out a junkyard and people who sell spare parts. I'm on the southern Mexican Caribbean so I don't have the access I would have in the US.

Thank you for your comment.

Susan

Are you talking about the lens for the puddle light on the bottom of the mirror?

As far as I know, the lens cannot be purchased separately. There are some threads about people making them out of CD cases. Maybe try the junk yard for a smashed mirror that has a good lens. That way they shouldn't charge too much!

Good luck with the hunt! :)

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Bump for an update. :dunno:

Hi Rondo,

It's not the mirror but the whole piece under the mirror. It's an enclosed shape which holds the light and wires that connect what is inside the mirror casing, the reflector or what every you call it that is what seems to light up (glass like) and then the plastic
casing. I did glue it together with crazy glue but am missing small pieces. I will connect it up and see how I can put it back under the mirror and glue it. Can't imagine how one would make it out of a CD case. Thanks for your input.

So you're talking about the lens, indicated by the arrows. I guess they use a dremel tool to cut out the proper shape.

3iReplacePuddleLightLampLens.jpg

The butter knife trick worked great! No damage to my mirror and it popped right out and my LED 194's installed easily.

Can I reinsert it without taking the light out.

The photo is very helpful. I took some crazy glue and put back together what I had left which was a good part of it. Now I'm trying to get it back in under the mirror and am having a bit of difficulty. Maybe it's the angle. I am having trouble connecting the light with the part from the mirror. I unconnected the two pieces when the puddle light holder was falling out. Will try again.
Thanks.

The photo is very helpful. I took some crazy glue and put back together what I had left which was a good part of it. Now I'm trying to get it back in under the mirror and am having a bit of difficulty. Maybe it's the angle. I am having trouble connecting the light with the part from the mirror. I unconnected the two pieces when the puddle light holder was falling out. Will try again.
Thanks.

Good luck! Check out my write up on adding signal mirrors. It has a pretty detailed description for taking the mirrors apart and putting them back together. You may find it helpful. Click me to go to the write-up!

AC Compressor

Just wondering it you could suggest an online company and an AC compressor for my Explorer 2002 XLT. My has a leak in it and I need to order quickly so
my friend may bring it down to Mexico for me. Thanks. Susan

Back