Puddle light on 03 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle light on 03 Explorer

terrapin69

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I have read several other threads and watched a You Tube video. Here's the deal, with my mirrors, only the lens "pops" off - There is no housing that comes out with the lens connected like I have seen elsewhere so, needless to say, even though I was super careful, I managed to crack, in half, both lens covers. I used a razor knife to gently pry the side furthest from the car, wiggled the rest out and didn't hear anything crack at all. Replaced bulbs easily enough so, each, time the lens cover would not snap back into place and I guess I used a bit too much force - This is almost 11 years old and you can see the lens covers are yellowing and brittle.

I wouldn't dream of buying new mirrors for this issue and a little double faced tape is holding them on there.

There has to be somewhere that I can get a few replacement lenses...right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Junkyard. be careful with them.

Don't waste time at junkyards. Do you have any cd cases? Cut rectangles out of it the size of the original lenses, and then glue them in. Cheap, easy, and you shouldn't have to leave the garage.

Would just like to point out, the lens' are not available separately, and the "proper" way to change the bulb is to pull the mirror off, and remove the socket like all the other bulbs. That's the only way I have found that does not break things or require gluing after.

I cracked mine as well, no big deal really. While the housings are out of the mirror, use some crazy glue to glue them back onto the housing, make sure to use a generous amount. :D, especially where the cracks are, just make sure you don't glue something to where it's not supposed to go, IE, the actual mirror. ;)

Well, got some Lexon... Seriously hard to trim without cracking, but I got it done, sealed with silicone sealant and they look great... Thanks all

Well, got some Lexon... Seriously hard to trim without cracking, but I got it done, sealed with silicone sealant and they look great... Thanks all

Lexon good idea. I like that. I have LEDs to put in my mirrors and have tried a couple of times to pop the old lens out. No luck. I tried leaving the dome and puddle lights on for 1/2 an hour hoping they may become more flexible not.

I purchased a sheet of lexan polycarbonate. I carefully pried one of my puddle lamp lenses off and traced the outline of it onto the sheet. After that I cut two "lenses" out of the sheet, and pried off the other old lens. I used high heat plastic glue to seal them into place.
I didn't remove the mirror assembly or anything. Both puddle lamps shine nice and bright and I got rid of those junky old yellow cracked ones

What bulb are you guys using & anyone have any pics if they redid the plastic under the light?

Back