• Register Today It's free!

Puddle lights not working

kenny570

Reaction score
City, State
Minersville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer ltd
Hello new to this forum I inherited a 2003 Ford Explorer LTD the vehicle runs great with a few minor fixes i.e. front wheel bearings and new tires.

Just recently I noticed that ONLY THE DRIVERS SIDE puddle light is not working, I replaced the bulb but still nothing.

no other problems with the lights in the vehicle or the keypad. I am going to try WD-40 on the door latch and see if that does anything

I know that this is probably a repeat question so please excuse me if it is.

Check the wires between the door and the body, there is a rubber boot where they reside near where the doors pivots when you open it. It's easier if you remove the interior door panel to get to the wires. It takes 5-10 minutes to take it apart.

Neither of my puddle lights worked until I fixed a few broken ground wires in there (I also had other electrical issues related to broken wires there) When I repaired the broken wires, both worked. (I had to replaced a bulb on one side)

help much appreciated

THANK YOU SWEERSA
I will try that in the morning

Check the wires between the door and the body, there is a rubber boot where they reside near where the doors pivots when you open it. It's easier if you remove the interior door panel to get to the wires. It takes 5-10 minutes to take it apart.

Neither of my puddle lights worked until I fixed a few broken ground wires in there (I also had other electrical issues related to broken wires there) When I repaired the broken wires, both worked. (I had to replaced a bulb on one side)

THANK YOU SWEERSA
I will try that in the morning

Once you take the inner door skin off, remove the door speaker and it will give you a lot more room to check for broken wires. Just give each wire in the bundle of wires going thru the door jam boot a tug and see if they retract inside the door. If you find a broken wire, then you need to locate the other end of it by popping out the rubber boot from the body. I think you need to use 12 gauge wire for the repair patch. You can either solder them together or use "butt crimp connectors". GL!

Back