• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Puddle Lights

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
Inquired at the same three dealers ......... Puddle lights are married to the BCM. Unplugging will cause a code issue and CEL. Nor, can they be turned off using the IDS tool. Time for black nail polish ............

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
I'm guessing that would apply to all trims, not just the ST?

Peter

Damir

Reaction score
City, State
Allen, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Has anyone considered seeing if the lens can be modified, perhaps strip off the ST writing?

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Inquired at the same three dealers ......... Puddle lights are married to the BCM. Unplugging will cause a code issue and CEL. Nor, can they be turned off using the IDS tool. Time for black nail polish ............
I think they are full of crap. If you unplug a blinker or tail light you do not get a CEL. There is zero reason a puddle lamp would throw a CEL.

Why is it such a big deal for you anyways? Regardless of LE, they only light up when doors are open so I fail to see why it is such an issue.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
I'm guessing that would apply to all trims, not just the ST?

Peter
All trim levels. It's a damn good thing I'll never be able to find out who at Ford is responsible for their inclusion. They are IMHO totally ghetto.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
I think they are full of crap. If you unplug a blinker or tail light you do not get a CEL. There is zero reason a puddle lamp would throw a CEL.

Why is it such a big deal for you anyways? Regardless of LE, they only light up when doors are open so I fail to see why it is such an issue.
I don't like them, plain and simple. To me, puddle lamps serve no purpose. They are so Pep Boys ...........
:rofl:

RickyG

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Callsign
I
I don't like them, plain and simple. To me, puddle lamps serve no purpose. They are so Pep Boys ...........
:rofl:
So what would you call covering them up with black nail polish?

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Nail polish on anything besides nails is ghetto. Replace the bulbs with resistors, and do it right.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Huh ? Mine aren't burned out. They work just fine.
To get rid of the lights. Add the proper resistance. No need for garbage nail polish on your new car. No puddle lights and no CEL. ( although I doubt you’d get a CEL anyways, I think that is BS, dealers are stupid)

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
Without a dealer network, how would one get replacement parts ? The aftermarket can't provide everything.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I’ve never needed a single dealer part for my Mountaineers, (or Explorers) ever. We’re talking over several hundred thousand miles.

And, just because someone has you by the balls, doesn’t mean they aren’t stupid (or worse)

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
No one has me by the balls. I simply prefer OEM over the aftermarket. I'd use Motorcraft oil if it were available as a full synthetic in the weight required for use in my 3L. Your acidity is unwarranted. No one is forcing you to use OE parts.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
You can get OE parts other than the dealer. I only use top quality parts. The dealer has you by the balls if you can only get parts there.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
You can get OE parts other than the dealer. I only use top quality parts. The dealer has you by the balls if you can only get parts there.
That's your favorite expression, isn't it ?

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD

Scrambler82

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger, EDGE
Callsign
N1MAU
I didn't read all of the postings but "What are you trying to do "?
Are eliminating the Puddle Lights or you just want to replace them ?

If there is a requirement by the computer to see the light, then there should be a load resistor somewhere to carry enough of the load when the lights are out so the computer thinks it is ok.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
I didn't read all of the postings but "What are you trying to do "?
Are eliminating the Puddle Lights or you just want to replace them ?

If there is a requirement by the computer to see the light, then there should be a load resistor somewhere to carry enough of the load when the lights are out so the computer thinks it is ok.
This should answer that question; Disable ST Puddle Lamps

Peter