Puddle Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle Lights

Mikey*TX

Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 ST Star White
Inquired at the same three dealers ......... Puddle lights are married to the BCM. Unplugging will cause a code issue and CEL. Nor, can they be turned off using the IDS tool. Time for black nail polish ............

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that would apply to all trims, not just the ST?

Peter

Has anyone considered seeing if the lens can be modified, perhaps strip off the ST writing?

Inquired at the same three dealers ......... Puddle lights are married to the BCM. Unplugging will cause a code issue and CEL. Nor, can they be turned off using the IDS tool. Time for black nail polish ............

I think they are full of crap. If you unplug a blinker or tail light you do not get a CEL. There is zero reason a puddle lamp would throw a CEL.

Why is it such a big deal for you anyways? Regardless of LE, they only light up when doors are open so I fail to see why it is such an issue.

I'm guessing that would apply to all trims, not just the ST?

Peter
All trim levels. It's a damn good thing I'll never be able to find out who at Ford is responsible for their inclusion. They are IMHO totally ghetto.

I think they are full of crap. If you unplug a blinker or tail light you do not get a CEL. There is zero reason a puddle lamp would throw a CEL.

Why is it such a big deal for you anyways? Regardless of LE, they only light up when doors are open so I fail to see why it is such an issue.
I don't like them, plain and simple. To me, puddle lamps serve no purpose. They are so Pep Boys ...........
:rofl:

Nail polish on anything besides nails is ghetto. Replace the bulbs with resistors, and do it right.

Huh ? Mine aren't burned out. They work just fine.
To get rid of the lights. Add the proper resistance. No need for garbage nail polish on your new car. No puddle lights and no CEL. ( although I doubt you’d get a CEL anyways, I think that is BS, dealers are stupid)

Without a dealer network, how would one get replacement parts ? The aftermarket can't provide everything.

I’ve never needed a single dealer part for my Mountaineers, (or Explorers) ever. We’re talking over several hundred thousand miles.

And, just because someone has you by the balls, doesn’t mean they aren’t stupid (or worse)

No one has me by the balls. I simply prefer OEM over the aftermarket. I'd use Motorcraft oil if it were available as a full synthetic in the weight required for use in my 3L. Your acidity is unwarranted. No one is forcing you to use OE parts.

You can get OE parts other than the dealer. I only use top quality parts. The dealer has you by the balls if you can only get parts there.

You can get OE parts other than the dealer. I only use top quality parts. The dealer has you by the balls if you can only get parts there.
That's your favorite expression, isn't it ?

I didn't read all of the postings but "What are you trying to do "?
Are eliminating the Puddle Lights or you just want to replace them ?

If there is a requirement by the computer to see the light, then there should be a load resistor somewhere to carry enough of the load when the lights are out so the computer thinks it is ok.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't read all of the postings but "What are you trying to do "?
Are eliminating the Puddle Lights or you just want to replace them ?

If there is a requirement by the computer to see the light, then there should be a load resistor somewhere to carry enough of the load when the lights are out so the computer thinks it is ok.
This should answer that question; Disable ST Puddle Lamps

Peter

Back