Puddle Lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle Lights

This should answer that question; Disable ST Puddle Lamps

Peter

OK, from what I read he is taking them out because he is using the vehicle for Law Enforcement !

Why exactly do you need to shut off the Puddle Lights ?

So all that is needed is to get the computer to shut them off.

If all else fails and the computer throws a code, use a resistor, with the value equal to the bulb, and solder across the leads, then cut the wires close to the bulbs and after the resistor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Taking it to a small rural Ford dealership tomorrow. I am going to have the puddle lights disconnected. If doing so throws a CEL then I'll know for sure. I am done with the speculation from the dealers in the Dallas Ft Worth area.

What it comes down to simply is that the dealers I've spoken to don't want to mess with it. It will get done one way or another. I will take it to the Dana Safety Equipment install center in Ft Worth, TX if need be.

It should be interesting to see what happens. Good luck Mike.

Peter

^^^ Exactly. It's bad enough that I don't have the ability to quash the interior lights at will.

^^^ Exactly. It's bad enough that I don't have the ability to quash the interior lights at will.
Hey Mike, in the 5th gen. they were able to enable the 'Dark Car' feature. I wonder if that would also turn off the puddle lamps. It is probably another thing our FORScan users have to figure out. BTW, the 2020 has the ability to turn off interior lights. Page 93 of the Manual.

Peter

Here is what I found:
From the as built hacker app (mostly for f150's, so no idea if these will work correctly)

Puddle Lamp Type - 740-04-01 0xxx-xxxx-xx-- Incandecent
4xxx-xxxx-xx-- LED
passenger side is same but 741-04-01
I looked mine up in Forscan here is my default for xlt ex
0000-0000-01-- So this could be true, if you had forscan or someone else wanted to try

Hey Mike, in the 5th gen. they were able to enable the 'Dark Car' feature. I wonder if that would also turn off the puddle lamps. It is probably another thing our FORScan users have to figure out. BTW, the 2020 has the ability to turn off interior lights. Page 93 of the Manual.

Peter
I need to look at that. I've been digesting the OM slowly. Section by section.
Maybe I should add some milk and sugar. ;)

Here is what I found:
From the as built hacker app (mostly for f150's, so no idea if these will work correctly)

Puddle Lamp Type - 740-04-01 0xxx-xxxx-xx-- Incandecent
4xxx-xxxx-xx-- LED
passenger side is same but 741-04-01
I looked mine up in Forscan here is my default for xlt ex
0000-0000-01-- So this could be true, if you had forscan or someone else wanted to try
Nort what I wanted to hear. I just sent back the OBD adaptor plug I bought off Amazon. I am not keen on the idea of changing binary numbers. I am still gun shy after having delt with GM over a similar issue with the CTS-V. First, they flagged the electrical portion of the warranty. Then the powertrain when they discovered the ECM had been flashed. Lovely .............

Peter
Done. I truly hate the grainy Kodak Baby Brownie Camera images FoMoCo uses along with the toilet paper quality pages of the O/M. Sheesh Ford, this is a $60k vehicle. My S O's Hyundai Limited has a better quality OM.

Nort what I wanted to hear. I just sent back the OBD adaptor plug I bought off Amazon. I am not keen on the idea of changing binary numbers. I am still gun shy after having delt with GM over a similar issue with the CTS-V. First, they flagged the electrical portion of the warranty. Then the powertrain when they discovered the ECM had been flashed. Lovely .............
Can’t really blame them. I wouldn’t let people modify programming on something I was carrying a warranty on.

Agree ........... That is why if it can't be turned off or reset using the IDS tool by a Ford certified tech, it's not going to happen. I paid good money to Joel for my extended warranty. I refuse to do anything that will risk it.

Isn’t all the forscan ability just a reverse engineered ids? If so I would expect the ids can do it, but techs are probably unfamiliar with requests like this. They are probably used to installs of VSS, remote start and trailer brakes.

Hard to say. I know the techs at the Dana install center are really savvy on the laptop when it comes to doing programming. I munched through several donuts today watching as they reprogrammed a new 2020 PIU to the Saginaw, TX PD's desires. The lieutenant stood there explaining to the tech exactly what he wanted to be turned off or on. There is evidently a whole slew of things even the dealers don't have access to when it comes to reprogramming both the BCM's and the ECU.

Hell, for all I know, the Dana techs might be using forscan. I never thought to ask. I was too busy stuffing my face. ;)

Done. I truly hate the grainy Kodak Baby Brownie Camera images FoMoCo uses along with the toilet paper quality pages of the O/M. Sheesh Ford, this is a $60k vehicle. My S O's Hyundai Limited has a better quality OM.
Glad you found the switch Mike. I can't really comment on the Owner's Manual as it hasn't been taken out of the glove box. I have all Explorer Manuals from 2011 on downloaded on my computer. It is much easier to locate things using the "find" command than leafing through the Manual.

Peter

It should be a requirement at any auto manufacturer that all engineeers be required to change the part they just designed/redesigned

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter
And, when one does that, the amber icon stays on. Go figure. lol

Back