Puff of smoke under hood on startup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puff of smoke under hood on startup

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I went to start the Ex today and it failed on the first try (probably related to this problem from two months ago) which has been common lately but this time I heard a pop and a puff of blue smoke billowed out from under the hood. It started right up on the second try with no smoke, but it idled bad, wanting to die and there was a "wooshing" sound coming from around the rear of the intake manifold. It sounds like a disconnected vacuum line sucking in air, but louder. Nothing under the hood looks visibly wrong, there was a little white smoke coming from the tailpipe but it is cold outside right now. The sound is a little hard to hear above idle, but the resonance doesn't seem to change when I raise the rpms.

What should I be looking at? I know blue smoke indicates burnt oil. I'm hoping nothing internal failed on me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sonik said:
It sounds like a disconnected vacuum line sucking in air, but louder.

Well, it sounded like a disconnected vacuum line because it was a disconnected vacuum line :) I don't know how I missed it yesterday, but now I can't find the missing hose. I looked around for dangling hoses but can't find any. I took a pic, the hose connects to the nipple in the middle of the pic. Can someone tell me where the hose leads so I can trace it back?

DSC00306.jpg

Easy it is just plugged off with a little rubber plug.

On my explorer the Vaccum Diaphram valve was leaking and allowing tranny fluid into the vaccum lines this caused those plugs to swell and they then fall off easy the one you show that is missing was the first one to go for me also then the ones in the back are next.

Take off the one hose that goes to the brakes and hold it down if tranny fluid drains out you need to change your vaccum diaphram also like I did. I had the puff of smoke the other day before also. It has work better now since I was able to buy replacement rubber ends to reclace the swellen ones and I had to replace those rubber lines also tranny fluid is hard on those rubber hoses.

Nothing connects to it? It's supposed to be capped off? I know it runs well capped off because that what I did driving around town today but in the Haynes manual in the picture for the pcv valve the vacuum tee is in the background and theres a hose running to it. It has a light spark plug wire-like boot going into it with a smaller black hose coming out of it and leading to the rear of the engine.

That hose running to the brake booster did come off about a year ago at the brake booster side. I put a clamp on it.

My X has a cap on there. Little rubber cap, like what they put over the extra threads on the back seats.

happened to me a couple times before i would guess it is just back pressure

Like I said it is just capped off, just take a minute to see if their is any tranny fluid build up in those vaccum lines the easy way to check is take off the line that goes to the brake booster and hold it down and see if anything drains out.

Back