Pugly | Page 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would run the blue locktight like we discussed today.

That is something I didn't think about doing myself when I had the D35.

The only other thing I can think of is to run the D44 liters on it

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yeah, all that time I had your socket, I never had to use it. 2 weeks after you get it back, I needed it.

Pugly is messing with me. Maybe because I started feeding it 87 octane lately, cuz gas prices went up.

Quit being a Richard pugly!!

I have used the D44 spindle nuts, didn't help. Unless your talking about the entire D44 outer setup. Yeah, not doing that for the DD. Going down to 33's will happen before that.

Speaking of the 33's, your spot on with the larger mass from the bigger tires Don. These do indeed cause more leverage on these parts. Some (like Phil), have good luck with, and then there is Pugly. lol

That's how it happens lol.

And yes I was talking about the complete d44 outters. I am not sure if 33s would help. The pearl had 33s and I chewed bearings every 3 months.

Im on 33's but 3.75" backspace with 10" wide rims

Going down 33's won't hurt it at least. You wouldn't think it, but mass wise, there is quite a bit of difference from a 35. Running these 35's on 8.5" wheels now, but won't be when I find 33's. I have 2 sets of 10" to choose from already. Possibly 3 sets if I wait until spring.

I have been looking constantly, for a deal on a fresh set of used tires. I haven't seen them, when I had the scratch, and they have popped up, when I didn't have it. One day the stars will align, and it will happen.

Ran out and got the better socket with a collar, and put it back together. Took me a couple trys to get it right.

The National rotor seal wasn't fitting right, and was squeaking on rotation, and made the assembly to tight. Tore it all down, and swapped it for an SKF brand from Napa. That fixed it.

I did do it a little different this time. After the last days worth of posts, I said ok, let's change it up, and see what happens.

I set the bearings with the inner nut to 35 ft/lbs like normal, spun the rotor a few times, backed it off, and again with 35 ft/lbs, spun the rotor again, and backed it off to finger tight. Then set the inner nut to 16 In/lbs, and backed it off a little.

150 ft/lbs with my torque wrench, and watched the inner nut to make sure it didn't spin at all. Then used the impact on it, set it to what I believe to be around 225#, and tapped the trigger a few times. It moved it just barely. Grabbed the rotor, and it spun with a decent amount of resistance. Not too much, not too little. Hoping it is good to go for a while again. Checked Pass side, and all was good. Done deal.

Here is the 2 styles of sockets we have been mentioning. The left socket is the type that hurts me every time when it slips off. The right socket has the collar, and stays on better, but still likes to walk off if your not dead nuts even when working the wrench. Still have to hold your hand on it. Stil sucks, but is better than the other tab style.

4wd locknut sockets.jpg

And for record keeping with the posts date stamp, the new stuffs installed on the Dr side.

94 new rotor 11_18.jpg

That pic was after the first try, before I took it apart again, and was cleaned with brake cleaner after. :p

'Decent amount of restistance', if more than the resistance of the grease, it's too much. Especially with 35"tires. I fear its still too tight.

Well, it spun fairly easy by hand with the rotor, and very easy with the tire on. Hard to explain in a post exactly what it feels like, if you know what I mean.

I marked both nuts with a sharpie. I will check it after a few days, and see if it moved, or if the grease looks like it is getting thick from heat. They moved, too loose. Don't move, but grease is paste, too tight. I hope it is alright, because this just sucks to deal with all the time.

Obviously, I have had issues here with these, and feel like I have tried everything to correct it, but when I'm left to my own devices, I can be blind to the obvious at times, and can surely screw things up. Not intentionally, but by my own ignorance. I'm still learning at my age. :)

If you aint learnin, check for a pulse.

Sounds about right for rotational resistance. 35's make it critical to get the preload perfect.

Good luck

The old gal just turned over 270,000 miles!

When I first got this rig, I thought I would be lucky, to get to the 250k mark. :)

Thanks to Pugly & the Forum for the 130k mile ride, and no monthly loan payments. (albeit maintaining her, wasn't exactly cheap either!)

Yeah, and when I got it, the prior owners gave up on it, and thought it was a goner back then. :crazy:

They didn't know about this site, and the power it holds to resurrect, and/or prolong an Explorer's life. :laugh:

So,,,,, how are the bearings doing after 6 months?????

Haven't had to touch them once. I check them once a month, but they have held fine so far.

Was a long cold, hard winter for me. Pugly made it without wanting much.

Had to mess with the steering column to gear box once, but that's it. She will be receiving some annual tune up love shortly.

Honestly, thats one of the biggest reasons for the SAS on the pearl... Damn wheels bearings every three months!

Congrats on the milestone!! You passed up General at 267k!! He’s not running as nice however......

Honestly, thats one of the biggest reasons for the SAS on the pearl... Damn wheels bearings every three months!

We knew this after wheeling a 1st gen sport.....so what do we do? Go buy 2 four doors on 35’s!!! I can do bearings in my sleep now....on the other hand, at least it’s not something worse to do that often, and lifetime bearings keep it to the cost of a wheel seal.

Thanks! I figure it's the worn out spindles, causing the bearing failures as these rigs age. Add more mass with a larger tire, and Bam! New set of spindles are expensive!!

So when I took the rig back to the shop to correct the bad alignment, they just made it worse. I had bought a lifetime alignment from them, and figured I would just keep bringing it back until they got it right. Well, I changed my mind on that after a ruined front tire.

I have been looking for another shop for some time, and decided to try one. Had them take a look at the rig in the lot, before I even made an appointment.
Manager and tech both promised they could take care of it. I agreed to let them do the job, under the condition that they honor the work, and keep at it until it's right, even if I bring it back 3 times.

Have to swap the unused matching spare tire for the worn front tire. Thinking of swapping out all the wheels, for a set of 15x10's I have taking up space. Hmm.....

Back