pull oil pan from bottom, 1996 Explorer 5.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pull oil pan from bottom, 1996 Explorer 5.0L

tool_man

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 5.0L
Has anyone ever tried pulling the oil pan from the underside? It looks like with the suspension and the rack removed it would drop out if it didn't get hung on the pickup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what my mechanic did on my AWD. Although, I think it left the steering rack in place, but it raised the engine a "couple of inches".

Can you say in more detail just what he did? He pulled the CV's...drive shaft...third member...motor mount screws...dropped the exhaust...

He raised the engine only a couple of inches but did he have to remove anything more to do that?

Did he have to remove the oil pickup before the pan would come completely out?

The aluminum V8 pan(98& before) is much harder to remove than the stamped steel one(99+) because of its thickness. I did one on my 98 2wd and I lifted the motor up as high as I could and there was no way it would clear the oil pump and the steering rack. Be prepared to take the rack and front diff out to do it.

Now I could of unbolted the oil pump from the block to help get the pan out when I was stuck between the pump body and steering rack. It would be a royal pain to try to bolt it back in the same way with also lining up the pump driveshaft.

I just tried to remove mine ICW replacing the timing cover gasket. I don't have the front drivetrain stuff (2WD) and there was still no way to get that oil pan out without removing the steering rack - and even then it looks like it would be tough. Good luck.

Back