• Register Today It's free!

Pull the engine? Or hold off?

DanielB23

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Limited 5.0L V8
So I've basically been rebuilding the engine on my 1997 v8 explorer as in depth as possible without pulling the engine. The explorer has been sitting for at least a year or two, I knew it had an oil leak I was just unsure of where or the severity. I was degreasing the bottom of it yesterday, transmission pan had oil on it, oil pan was practically covered in oil, and really just everywhere else underneath the engine. I know my valve cover gaskets were definitely leaking, but I believe the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal are also leaking pretty heavily. To my knowledge, neither have been replaced ever. The explorer has approximately 190k miles so it's long overdue. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and pull the engine now while I'm replacing all these gaskets and seals...or if I should just hold off, put my engine back together as is, and get my explorer back to running again...then investigate further on the possible oil leaks. I saw that some people have been able to drop the oil pan just enough to replace the gasket. I also saw there is a Fel Pro gasket that has enough elasticity to stretch over the outside of the oil pan, so you can just pull out the old gasket and slide the new one in. But there's also the rear main seal that i suspect is leaking...I also saw there is a way to change that seal without pulling the engine, you can drop the transmission and lift the engine. But this is all a lot of work, Idk if maybe pulling the engine would just be easier or simpler at this point? I'd hate to put my engine back together, get it running again, and then have to take it back apart and pull the engine just to change some gaskets.

I've never pulled an engine and do not have an engine hoist to do so, but I'm sure I can find a friend who does. Also, is there any other oil leak locations that I should address? I will likely be replacing the timing cover gasket also. And I also screwed up a transmission line while pulling my radiator, twisted it up pretty badly to the point it will need to be replaced. Maybe that affects this decision also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I've got a 1997 5.0 V8 Explorer, and I suspect it has a pretty significant oil pan gasket leak and rear main seal leak. It's got 190k miles and to my knowledge these gaskets have never been replaced. The valve cover gaskets were definitely leaking, as well as the lower intake manifold gaskets. So there had to be some oil running down to my oil pan and the bottom of the engine. But while degreasing yesterday, I noticed heavy oil buildup specifically around where the oil pan gasket is, and also where the rear main seal is. I know these two are very difficult to replace without pulling the engine, but I know people have done it. There's a Fel Pro gasket with enough elasticity to stretch around the oil pan, so you just have to drop the oil pan and pull out the old gasket and slide in the new. And with the rear main seal, I've read where someone dropped their transmission and lifted their engine. But it does seem like a lot of work, I'm wondering if pulling the engine would just be best at this point? I have never pulled an engine and do not have an engine hoist. I thought about degreasing everything really good, putting my engine back together as is, getting it running again, and then inspecting for oil leakage. But I'd hate to get my explorer running just to take apart the engine again for some gasket replacements. I also twisted up one of my transmission lines while pulling the radiator, it will need to be replaced. Maybe that affects this decision also? Not sure how difficult that will be to replace. And I also plan on replacing my timing cover gasket before getting this explorer running again. Let me know your opinions!

why cant the RMS be replaced with trans drop? anf to confirm the oul pan is a 1 puece not a 2 puece like in teh sohc? since in sohc you have a lowrr and upper. to my knowledge the 1 piece it doesnt need to be hoisred completely out. is thenleak on the front or back of the oil pan gasket?

are there oryer issues that would lead u bto wanting to pull the motor? the 5.0 is stout and at 190k id say it stikl has life in it.

I would pull the engine and replace the oil pan and rear main seal as well as timing cover gaskets all while on the stand
Drain the trans and converter at the same time

Doing the oil pan in the truck would take you longer then just pulling the whole engine imo

But then I have pulled many of them and i forget that it can be a real challenge the first time with limited tools.
I still vote for oil pan and timing cover gaskets as well as exhaust manifolds…. Just pull it
I would plan on replacing the exhaust manifolds with Dorman for a 98-01 and I would also remove the front oil cooler and replace with oil filter mount for a 98-01
With engine on a stand you can do a lot more and seal up everything including the dipstick oil pressure sensor etc etc

I would have cleaned and inspected for oil leaks before doing any real disassembly. Most rear main leaks are minor even though they are very common. The front seal is usually a bigger leak, and that balancer is good to replace at this age.

If the water pump bolts could be removed without breaking, and the leaks are really minor, I'd keep the engine in place for a long while still. The internals are very solid on the SBF, but the WP and other front pieces are troublesome when one starts to go. To me it's a tough choice to work on any of those without removing the engine, versus a full engine rebuild.

I have a good alternative myself, I own a low mileage Mark VII that I will use to replace my 98's 302 when I start that project. That saves me the WP broken bolts(in the truck) and solves the high mileage, plus my last 302's are eating oil. My oil consumption is likely from bad prior care, which ruins the valves seals and makes it eat oil. That can only be fixed by rebuilding the heads at a minimum.

why cant the RMS be replaced with trans drop? anf to confirm the oul pan is a 1 puece not a 2 puece like in teh sohc? since in sohc you have a lowrr and upper. to my knowledge the 1 piece it doesnt need to be hoisred completely out. is thenleak on the front or back of the oil pan gasket?
I believe the RMS can be replaced by dropping the trans, but idk if that would be more time consuming and frustrating due to the lack of space I'd have. The gasket on this 5.0 V8 should be just a 1 piece if I'm not wrong. The leak appears to be on the back of the oil pan, but the front of the oil pan had oil all over it too.

I believe the RMS can be replaced by dropping the trans, but idk if that would be more time consuming and frustrating due to the lack of space I'd have. The gasket on this 5.0 V8 should be just a 1 piece if I'm not wrong. The leak appears to be on the back of the oil pan, but the front of the oil pan had oil all over it too.
usually dropping a trans is faster than pulling motor. however since you have oil pan too, maybe do it once do it right and pull motor? not sure @410Fortune is the v8 expert hete

are there oryer issues that would lead u bto wanting to pull the motor? the 5.0 is stout and at 190k id say it stikl has life in it.
No other issues that I can think of besides RMS and oil pan gasket. But I would be interested in inspecting the cylinders and crankshaft and bearings etc. Not a mandatory thing right now though. However if I do end up pulling the engine then I'd likely replace and inspect everything possible before putting the engine back in

I would pull the engine and replace the oil pan and rear main seal as well as timing cover gaskets all while on the stand
Drain the trans and converter at the same time

Doing the oil pan in the truck would take you longer then just pulling the whole engine imo

But then I have pulled many of them and i forget that it can be a real challenge the first time with limited tools.
I still vote for oil pan and timing cover gaskets as well as exhaust manifolds…. Just pull it
I would plan on replacing the exhaust manifolds with Dorman for a 98-01 and I would also remove the front oil cooler and replace with oil filter mount for a 98-01
With engine on a stand you can do a lot more and seal up everything including the dipstick oil pressure sensor etc etc
Can you explain the oil cooler to me? I'm not familiar with that, similar to the power steering cooler? Also, why replace with the 98-01 oil filter mount? What's bad about the stock one on 97s? I think I may even have an oil leak around the dipstick too. Definitely will be getting those new exhaust manifolds, was removing the stock ones and they crumbled in half. I'll need access to an engine hoist and probably get help from a friend who has more experience than i do.

I would have cleaned and inspected for oil leaks before doing any real disassembly. Most rear main leaks are minor even though they are very common. The front seal is usually a bigger leak, and that balancer is good to replace at this age.

If the water pump bolts could be removed without breaking, and the leaks are really minor, I'd keep the engine in place for a long while still. The internals are very solid on the SBF, but the WP and other front pieces are troublesome when one starts to go. To me it's a tough choice to work on any of those without removing the engine, versus a full engine rebuild.

I have a good alternative myself, I own a low mileage Mark VII that I will use to replace my 98's 302 when I start that project. That saves me the WP broken bolts(in the truck) and solves the high mileage, plus my last 302's are eating oil. My oil consumption is likely from bad prior care, which ruins the valves seals and makes it eat oil. That can only be fixed by rebuilding the heads at a minimum.
Well I'm worried to put my engine back together and get it running again, because of the amount of oil underneath the car. I'd hate to get it running and see my oil pan covered in oil again. I can definitely replace the front seal and balancer. Idk how minor this rear main leak is, lot of oil buildup in that area but could also just be over the years. I'd be scared to break any water pump bolts too, already broke a bolt that connects lower intake to the driver side head. If I were to pull the engine, do I pull the transmission separately or leave it attached to the engine and pull both out? Would pulling the transmission even be necessary?

That Mark VII sounds super cool, got a 5.0 v8 in it doesn't it?

Pull it

You don’t want to do all this work, pull the trans to do the RMS, then find out your oil pan gasket is still leaking

Doing the oil pan gasket in the truck is nearly impossible.

If you’re gonna pull anything, yank the motor and re-seal/gasket everything. Do the timing cover, the front main seal, all of it

This is one of those things where you do it once and do it right

Pull it

You don’t want to do all this work, pull the trans to do the RMS, then find out your oil pan gasket is still leaking

Doing the oil pan gasket in the truck is nearly impossible.

If you’re gonna pull anything, yank the motor and re-seal/gasket everything. Do the timing cover, the front main seal, all of it

This is one of those things where you do it once and do it right
Yep. Very true. Agreed, that's what I'll do then! Thanks for your advice

Can you explain the oil cooler to me? I'm not familiar with that, similar to the power steering cooler? Also, why replace with the 98-01 oil filter mount? What's bad about the stock one on 97s? I think I may even have an oil leak around the dipstick too. Definitely will be getting those new exhaust manifolds, was removing the stock ones and they crumbled in half. I'll need access to an engine hoist and probably get help from a friend who has more experience than i do.
Take a look at your lower radiator hose. Does it return directly to the water pump, or, is there another component in between with about a 3" long hose to water pump?

Well I'm worried to put my engine back together and get it running again, because of the amount of oil underneath the car. I'd hate to get it running and see my oil pan covered in oil again. I can definitely replace the front seal and balancer. Idk how minor this rear main leak is, lot of oil buildup in that area but could also just be over the years. I'd be scared to break any water pump bolts too, already broke a bolt that connects lower intake to the driver side head. If I were to pull the engine, do I pull the transmission separately or leave it attached to the engine and pull both out? Would pulling the transmission even be necessary?

That Mark VII sounds super cool, got a 5.0 v8 in it doesn't it?

The 1987 to 1992 Mark VII's had the same 302 HO as the Fox 302 Mustangs.

For your truck, there are several places which may be leaking. You have to clean it all well like you just began to, then it takes some time to drive it to see if the leaking is obvious, and where it's from. The tiny leaks are minor enough to live with for most people. But the big ones you want to go after quickly and stop if possible.

It's easier to make a decision if you know where the leaks are from, and how much they are leaking in a short time. When the leaks are from the hardest places to fix, then you may have to pull the engine to work on them and then it's easier to do other things as mentioned before.

Back