• Register Today It's free!

Pulled Codes Need Advice

hckynck20

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hi all about a week ago i noticed my check engine light turned on so i pulled the codes. the explorer drives normally and it seems like the check engine light only wants to turn on when im actually driving, i havent had it turn on just while idling. any advice on fixing these codes would be greatly appriciated :D

KOEO:
335-EGR feedback signal is/was out of range - EVR or PFE
157-Mass Air Flow signal is/was low or grounded - MAF
332-EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE

KOER:
326-Pressure Feedback EGR shows low pressure EGR not seating or not seating intermittantly
538-System did not receive "goose" test
536-Brake On Off open or shorted to ground - BOO

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question: Were those "KOEO" codes all KOEO codes (before separator pulse), or were some of them CM codes (after separator pulse)? That's the first thing I would do. Once that's determined: SOP is to resolve KOEO codes first.

Note that KOEO codes almost always have to be electrical. If those EGR codes are KOEO codes, then I would start by checking the DPFE - it seems to be a common problem.

KOER 536 and 538 are almost always operator error during the KOER test. You need to press the brake shortly after engine id is output and "goose" the throttle when told to do so.

ok i rescanned the KOEO codes and code 157 and 332 were both CM.

So the 335 went away? Does this mean that you are now getting a 111 for KOEO? 335 is supposed to be a KOEO code. This suggests to me that you have an intermittent fault in the DPFE circuit. Intermittent faults can be harder to diagnose.

I'm not real familiar with the EGR system on these -- '92's don't have an EGR system. All I know on the EGR system is derived from my BII, which has never had a problem with the EGR system.

DPFE sensors seem to fail somewhat frequently. If the KOEO 335 comes and goes, does the KOER 326 come and go? Having seen the KOEO 335 on one occasion, I would look at the wiring between the DPFE and the computer, then check DPFE output.

im sorry if i made it confusing hehe all the same codes are there i was just saying that 157 and 332 were the only ones that were CM. the codes seem pretty frequent everytime i scan i get the same codes, none of them come and go.

Sorry if I misunderstood. with that said, focus on the KOEO335: shouldn't be too hard to track down. Check the wiring between the computer and the DPFE, Make sure the DPFE is getting the 5V Vref from the computer. If everything checks out, you most likely need a new DPFE. After repair, clear CM codes, repeat test to make sure KOEO is pass. And go from there.

alright i'll try it thanks for the help

yep turned out to be a bad DPFE. thanks again for the help :)

See why I tell everyone Mr. Shorty is about the best diagnostic help there is on this board?

Getting the codes read - $0 to $75

Buying a new DPFE - $75

Getting help from Mr. Shorty that fixed the
problem so you didn't have to stupidly throw
parts at it hoping to get it fixed - or pay the dealer
a few hundred dollars..... PRICELESS.

Back