Pulled to hard on frozen door - driver's handle broke | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulled to hard on frozen door - driver's handle broke

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I should have pushed from the inside, but in my haste, I pulled too hard on a frozen driver's door handle, and the handle snapped off.

The base plate is still riveted to the door. Was wondering if I need to replace the entire mechanism ? Or maybe some way to just replace the lift-handle portion ?

Looks like I also lost the outisde keypad entry - how tough is that to replace ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, my daughter did the same thing last month. you will have to replace the complete handle (they're pretty flimsy). i got a new handle from RockAuto for about $15 delivered. i bought a couple of pan-head screws, nuts and star washers from the hardware store to install it. there's a youtube video (link below) on how to install it. i don't know what happened to your keypad though, but you'll be able to get at it easily while you replace the handle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1aauto

search for "ford explorer door handle"

My bad, for some reason, I thought the keypad was under the handle - you'd think after owning it for 12 years I'd remember that its to the left of the handle.

It was buried in snow on the door, so still there and still working.

Thanks for the link for the door handle repair.

I have a simular problem but with passenger side and both handles arent working!!! Dont have a drill strong enough to drill the rivets out!

I have a simular problem but with passenger side and both handles arent working!!! Dont have a drill strong enough to drill the rivets out!

if you use a punch and drive the steel metal center pin out first they are much easier to drill (just aluminum). for that matter it is not absolutely necessary to drill them out. once the center pin is removed you can break the "banana-peel" pieces off the back side and knock the remaining part out with a chisel. i believe the youtube video shows this.

I bought the part from the Ford dealer ($33 or so) and paid a shop to install it (about $115).

The video link provided above was very helpful, but needed it fixed soon and was not up to taking it on myself now ..............

Glad to have it working again.

Do yourself a favor and buy an OEM handle from Ford. Replaced mine with a cheap aftermarket one and only lasted 6 months. The OEM part is not that expensive and seems much more durable. Not a hard job to replace. You can use 1/4 " bolts in place of the rivets and you have to unbolt the rear window track to access the linkage. Buy the OEM part so you don't have to do it twice.

Did this to the rear drivers side door. Instead of bolts, I used some super epoxy. Yeah, not the best of ideas, but been a year plus and no problems. Of course, if it breaks again, probably won't be able to fix it.

Back