Pulley - - - - - bang! Recall?

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
It was a nice day, well, so far! Just when I got to the dealership to pick up my part for the A/C I heard some strange noise under the hood and then parts flying under there and falling down to the ground. Pulley decided to fall apart. Well, maybe there was too much tension there? Maybe it got scared that with A/C working now it will have to work twice as hard? OK, what is it then that I'm writing about? The part is on NBO - National Back Order. If the part is on back order like this doesn't it mean that they replace a lot of these and that this issue might need a recall or something? Have anybody else had the same problem. If so, is it necessary to remove the rediator to replace it? I parked my truck by my office about 30 miles from home. Certeinly I won't make it home to have the priviledge of nicelly tooled garage so I'll have to improvise. Let me know what your experiance was dealing with this problem.

Later,

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited
http://www.inter-kiosk.com/Explorer/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And I thought it was just me..
Was it the tensioner pulley?
On my 95 last year, normal driving, no load. the whole thing fell off and part everywhere.
Stranded. It at least gave me the oppurtunity to cahnge out the belt and t'stat while i was at it. The part though was in stock, again this was about a year ago. How can you inspect this for wear?

Well, one dealer says NBO another has it in stock, they don't know what the other have unless they call. I bought darn thing like 2 miles from my home, came to my office and it still rains. Good thing my father lives like half a block away so I crawled over to his garage and did it there. Took me one hour including everything even filling coolant up and refilling freon. Everything now works OK. And yes it was the tensioner. It would be hard to inspect it for wear unles you take the air ducts from the filter and alternator out and unbolt the whole assembly with two pulleys on it and take it out. This would be the only way. In any case, if you hit 90,000 mile service add this to your list of to replace parts. It's only $50.00 but can leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. No power (alternator), no power steering, no A/C, no engine cooling!!

Questions? Let me know. I'm becomming a pro with all that.

Later,

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited

Andre, did the whole assembly come off, like mine did?. Boy when it hit the ground the cast housing musta left a zillion pieces. There was NOTHInG to salvage. Anyway I was not as lucky as you, left me in a High School parking lot at 7pm (Ford place closed). Not a really good place to be, so I had to have it towed and let a local garage do the work. Final bill including towing and a ride home, new serp belt that got a little chewed, new 195 TStat and replace tensioner pulley..$200.
miles at the time....55K.

I can see that in your case the whole assembly came down. Is that right? The whole assembly meaning the bracket that pulley is atteched to with another pulley on it and where you'd attach the alternator? Kind of weird. I think you are talking about the tensioner only. Usually this part is not fixable. When it brakes, it brakes into pieces. See, I was in the dealership's parking lot when it happened but my friend who works there told me to do it myself since they would have to charge me at least $130.00-160.00 labor plus parts. I feel good now since I saved about this much today. It looks like I can drop everything and go home now. I made some money actually. But in your case 55k miles? Might be the fault of material they used. Aluminium might not be a good idea with forces like this especially when you run A/C.

Hope it doesn't need replacing anytime soon.

Later,

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited

Back