• Register Today It's free!

Pulley Replacement

pyxis

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Well my idler pulley decided to snap off on my 1997 5.0 so I guess I'm going to have to change the others as a precaution. I'm just wondering which ones do I need to change. Just the other idler pulley and tensioner pulley? Or should I also change the power steering pulley as well? And on the tensioner, should I change the whole thing or just the pulley on it?

Reason I'm asking is b/c the power steering pulley is not turning as freely as the other pulleys now that the belt is off. I'm not sure if that's the norm.

BTW, I've never even though of changing these pulleys until this one decided to snap off while on the highway. My brother was driving and damn near hit the cement barrier when the pulley snapped and power steering went out! Also, the idler got wedged in between another pulley and the radiator fan bending some of those in the process:(

Steve

I would replace the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley. Better off replacing the whole darn thing I say, you may hear different from others (actually I dont think they come apart anyway, I might be wrong tho). The idler and tensioner are free-wheeling and are there to take up the slack and to direct the belt. The power steering pulley powers a pump, that may be the reason why it is more difficult to turn.

Yea I just bought the two idler pulleys locally but ordered the tensioner pulley online bc its $30 cheaper.

Anyone happen to know the torque specs for these bolts? I looked in my Haynes manual but can't find it. Oh, and is it a good idea to use Loctite on these?

Thanks

IF you use Loctite, use no other color than blue.
I would put them in there tight, but don't overly crank on it. I can't really explain it but you kinda "feel" where its supposed to be as far as tightness.

Back