Pulling a transmission saturday-couple questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulling a transmission saturday-couple questions

PrestonS

Reaction score
City, State
kissimmee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 eddie bauer
I'm planning on pulling a transmission for my X on saturday because its nearly gone, infact I am suprised it's lasted me this long considering the condition its in. But anyway I've never done this swap before and was wondering a couple things.

One my Explorer is a late '94 explorer 4X4 w/A4LD, am I able to use any A4LD transmission I pull? I figure I can because the 4x4 is at the transfer case. (correct me if im wrong there).

Second any specific tools I need to do the job? I don't want to make any more trips than needed.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that there are some subtle differences in the A4LDs from different years. If you can find one from a 93' or 94' it would be best, because then it would have the most up-to-date parts. Also, the tail housing on the transmission is what bolts up to the transfer case, so you would have to either find one from a 4WD, or swap the tail housings. good luck with it!

Thanks for the tip! I'll be on the lookout for that. Fortunately theres a few pull and pay yards in the area and I just grabbed a new spare from one last week theres fortunately quit a few explorers to look at.

I bet you a lot of those are cash for clunkers trucks, which means they could be in good condition other than the the engines being trashed.

I pulled the trans a bunch of times on a 4x2 manual... the automatics just have more stuff to disconnect. What tools do you plan to bring with as of now?

Long extensions and a breaker bar. The exhaust manifolt to Y pipe is the hardest to get loose, you may have to heat it and use plenty of PB Blaster to get the bolts out. If you take the tranny cross member off and let the tranny hang down you can get to the upper bolts much easier.

Back