• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Pulling motor out of 2000 mountaineer

D17Fetish

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
im pulling the sohc motor out of my mountaineer and was wondering if i should take the engine harness out along with the valve covers nd coil pack..

all i have left to do is pull the last four bolts at the top that go to the bell housing.

i did look at the swedish how to thing but it doesnt help with those last few bolts

2000StreetRod

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
top bolts on bellhousing

I was able to remove several of the four top bolts by working thru the wheel wells after removing the inner fender flap. I only had to get under the vehicle for one of the four and needed several drive extensions to loosen it. I loosened all eight bolts first, then removed the top four bolts, supported the engine weight with a crane and the transmission weight with a scissor jack on top of a block of concrete as shown in this thread: Transmission jack Only then did I remove the lower four transmission to engine bolts. I disconnected the main engine wiring harness from the PCM, the firewall (ground) and connector on the driver side.