Pulling the trigger on the Superlift | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulling the trigger on the Superlift

It looks about the same... was the AAL & Warrior shackles in the back in the before picture?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do decide not to use the front setup, let me know, I might be interested. And I'm local so you wouldn't have to deal with shipping it.

Will do, thanks.

I like the way it looks with just the springs. Did you keep the body lift or go back to stock?

Body lift is still on.

With the torsion bars cranked up that high, doesn't that increase the effective spring rate? So the front end feels like it clunks and bangs over every little bump and crack in the road. Coilovers would give you full use of the spring and make the ride much more pleasant.

And if you did use the spindles, it would put your CVs at a better angle and give you more useful travel.

Yea, I am really liking that option. Going to do some research...

It looks about the same... was the AAL & Warrior shackles in the back in the before picture?

The Warrior Shackles were on in the before picture, but no AAL.

I know it looks the same, but trust me, it isn't. Angle of the photos makes a difference. It's definitely higher by 4''. You can see the difference in my spring on the ground in photo 4 - it's almost flat compare with the Superlift springs.

....And here we are. As embarrassing as this is, almost 2 years later, the Superlift is finally complete.

It's ridiculous it took this long, but that's how busy life has gotten, and trying to sync up with a shop to take a lift for an entire weekend isn't easy either. Regardless, my hand was forced when my torsion bar exploded a few weeks back. I harassed my friend, picked a weekend to use the lift in his shop, and we FINALLY got this thing done. See pics below of the (almost) finished product.

I say almost because the torsion bars need a little more adjustment - I'd like the crank the keys ONE more turn before inserting them, because right now the bolts are almost maxed and the front cross member and control arms are basically level (you can see in the finished product photo) - I'd want them to be raised a little more. But for now, all good. I'm happy it's finally done, and now onto the next project - new wheels and tires.

Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_4580_zpste8mx9cx.jpg

IMG_4587_zpsstzx7zan.jpg

IMG_4594_zpsrggzilvh.jpg

IMG_4591_zpsxoannaqp.jpg

If you guys saw my URGENT: Superlift help thread, here's how we solved the torson cover problem: notching the hell outta those things. Haha.

IMG_4607_zpsssjppsnw.jpg

IMG_4614_zpsbwddvxzx.jpg

IMG_4615_zpsrbxjpnhq.jpg

IMG_4647_zpssfj26kws.jpg

It seems like everybody is jumping back into their Explorers this year.. Good to see you back up!

If it makes you feel any better Jason, I finally decided to drop the tranny and replace my flywheel after 3 years last weekend. :cool2:

Super lift must have went through a lot of changes, it doesn't look to be built as clean as they use too, I didn't have to modify my stock torsion bar bracket cover like that......

MATT! Are you subscribed to this thread?! Back from the dead, I love it!

Also, is that a good "dude" or a bad "dude"...? Hahahaha.

Looks good man. Your Explorer was one that I always looked to in my early days with mine.

Thanks man! It's never finished, haha.

It seems like everybody is jumping back into their Explorers this year.. Good to see you back up!

If it makes you feel any better Jason, I finally decided to drop the tranny and replace my flywheel after 3 years last weekend. :cool2:

Isn't it wild how days slip into weeks, months, and years? Life is flying man. Glad I'm in good company. :chug:

Super lift must have went through a lot of changes, it doesn't look to be built as clean as they use too, I didn't have to modify my stock torsion bar bracket cover like that......

Honestly it must have been some sort of parts mixup. Others have gotten the correct curved brackets. Didn't happen for me. I guess that's what happens when you order a kit backordered for 6 months and it shows up piecemeal. :banghead:

Hell yeah I am man. Just because it's been over a decade doesn't mean I don't like checking up on old friends!

It's a good "dude". Happy to see she's still going stong. Pretty sure my Ex is rotting in a yard by now. :(

Hell yeah I am man. Just because it's been over a decade doesn't mean I don't like checking up on old friends!

It's a good "dude". Happy to see she's still going stong. Pretty sure my Ex is rotting in a yard by now. :(

Good to "see" you again man. I'll PM ya.

Hey, in the unlikely event your notched out brackets fail, I've got 2 sets of those I can send you.

Looks awesome though, can't wait to see some more pictures of it getting down and dirty!

Thanks man! It's never finished, haha.

Isn't it wild how days slip into weeks, months, and years? Life is flying man. Glad I'm in good company. :chug:

Honestly it must have been some sort of parts mixup. Others have gotten the correct curved brackets. Didn't happen for me. I guess that's what happens when you order a kit backordered for 6 months and it shows up piecemeal. :banghead:

Last time I talked to the guy at Superlift when I swapped my explorer leafs for wagoneer leafs he told me a lot of stuff would be hard to get they were changing manufacturing from Turkey to China or something.

Hey, in the unlikely event your notched out brackets fail, I've got 2 sets of those I can send you.

Looks awesome though, can't wait to see some more pictures of it getting down and dirty!

Thanks man! Doubt I'll have any issues but I'll keep it in mind. Not so sure about that down and dirty anymore though...those days might be behind me unless it's a snow run! :D

Last time I talked to the guy at Superlift when I swapped my explorer leafs for wagoneer leafs he told me a lot of stuff would be hard to get they were changing manufacturing from Turkey to China or something.

Heard this too, was told that that was part of the reason it took 6+ months to get the parts to me. Pretty sad, but I guess it is what it is at this point.

That's a bad-ass truck Paraphoe :bow:
Yours and others on here helped me a lot with mine! :thumbsup:

Wish they had a kit for a 5th Gen

Back