• Register Today It's free!

Pulls badly in 4x4

TBirdSport50

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Im new to this forum but I have a 1994 Explorer, manual hubs, push button 4x4. This winter we had alot of snow here and when i used the 4x4 it seemed fine as long as snow was on the ground, but as they cleared the roads it became apparent that as long as snow was there it was fine but if you hit a patch of road with no snow in 4x4 it pulled very hard to the right so you had to turn the wheel to compensate for that but if you hit another patch of road with snow on it then the truck would about turn around in the road. I have pulled the front end down and see nothing noticeably wrong but there is a definate problem and my wife drives this vehicle so can someone please help we with this situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A part time 4wd system like ours can do interesting things on pavement (which is why you shouldn't use it on pavement). Does the 4wd work otherwise (do the front wheels spin)?

When I've seen similar symptoms from mine, it occurred when I didn't have a matched set of 4 tires (same make, model, size, wear-- everything). When in 4wd in a part time system, the front and rear are locked together. Any size difference in the tires can cause binding that sometimes shows up as squirrelly steering. Are all of the tires inflated fully? Does it pull like this in 2H with the hubs locked? Do you still have the auto hubs?

the 4x4 works and all the tires are the same size and inflated properly it has manual hubs and if the front hubs are locked and it is in 2wd it works fine it is only in 4wd that it gets this way you don't notice it if you are in snow or dirt but if you go down a snow covered road and hit a patch of pavement then the truck jerks hard on the transfer to the pavement and back to the snow.

The part time 4x4 system should not be used on high traction surfaces. As mentioned, things will bind up and eventually break.. BUT...

If you have the wheels straight, turn on 4x4, keep the wheels straight it should not pull to one side or the other.

If it does, you have an issue. You most likely have a bound up u-joint on the side it is pulling to. You will want to get your front axle u-joints changed.

~Mark

I know not to drive on pavement in 4x4 what you are failing to read is that i am driving on roads that are BOTH snow and pavement and the transfer from the two is where you notice the issue.

I know not to drive on pavement in 4x4 what you are failing to read is that i am driving on roads that are BOTH snow and pavement and the transfer from the two is where you notice the issue.

I must be missing something. From what I read above, you should be turning off your 4x4 as (or before) it switches to pavement.

If your saying some tires are on snow and others are on pavement I would personally not put it in 4x4.

Either way.. If your wheels are straight and your in 4x4 it should NOT pull, even when the driving surface changes from snow to pavement (all tires are switching, not just a couple). If it does pull then something is binding. Since it only happens when you in 4x4 the front axle u-joints are what I would check first.

Ok thanks, I'll try the u-joints. Personally if I drive it I dont use the 4x4 unless it is bad but my wife is scared to drive in snow and puts it in 4x4 if any snow is on the roads and it scares her when she goes down the road and goes over a transition from snow to pavement and back because it is so jerky. Do you have any other ideas in case the u-joints are not the problem?

Ok thanks, I'll try the u-joints. Personally if I drive it I dont use the 4x4 unless it is bad but my wife is scared to drive in snow and puts it in 4x4 if any snow is on the roads and it scares her when she goes down the road and goes over a transition from snow to pavement and back because it is so jerky. Do you have any other ideas in case the u-joints are not the problem?

I understand what you are saying. Basic snowy,crappy roads, you lock it up and drive. YOu know not to use it on dry roads but basically it's OK on these Patchy situations. It sounds like you know the difference between normal 4WD actions and this yank to the Right.
that does sound odd.
I would jack one side off the ground, lock in both Hubs and spin the tire. See if the Front Driveshaft turns.

Then do the same for the other side. This will verify that all the 'linkage' is functioning properly. If you don't get the driveshaft to rotate, you have an Axle issue. Manual Hubs makes troubleshooting easier. Also listen for 'ugly' noises or binding when you do this
Write back with the results.

Also check your wheel bearings,I had mine up in the air because I heard a noise and the passenger side bearings where almost locked up.If it turns out you have a bad u joint it would be a great time to replace wheel bearings also.They don't cost that much and they have to take it apart anyway.:D

Back