Rhythmic / pulsating static on AM radio only when moving | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rhythmic / pulsating static on AM radio only when moving

The only time this pulsating sound was happening when I was using a fake I phone charger ( it was cheaper and i bought it at a gas station). I have not heard pulsating sound again for 4 weeks. Fake cord also disconnected my carplay and waze navigation map was off.

Make sure you guys have legit I phone chargers / cords.

I use the Apple cable that came with my 8+. Something else is interfering with the AM signal and, as Forddealz observed, it occurs without a cable attached.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I realize that I'm probably the only one here who listens to AM radio, but there's a local oldies station I tune into once in a while. Problem is, my Explorer's AM radio generates loud, pulsating static noise to the point where all I can hear is the pulsating static.

The weird thing is this only happens when my Explorer is moving. If I'm stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, the AM radio signal is crystal clear -- until I start moving again.

I've paid attention to nearby power lines and utility cables, and the pulsating static does not seem to come from those. Rather, it appears that something within the Explorer generates this AM interference, but only when the vehicle is moving.

Before I take my Explorer back to the dealership, I'd like to know if other 2020 Explorer owners have experienced this AM radio issue and determined the cause of the annoying pulsating static. Thanks!

I have a 2020 Lincoln Aviator that does the exact same thing. Since the 2020 Explorer and the Aviator are essentially the same vehicle except for trim (and price), it would make sense that they would share this issue. I will talk to the dealer service manager, but I don't have much hope that he has heard of it. I'm thinking we need to contact FOMOCO directly.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
No issues with mine.

Peter

Thanks. Love the Aviator, hate the am radio station static !!!

@waynesworldtx

It is quite amazing that the FORD sound system engineers completely missed this on their checklist.

Suggest that you follow through and contact FORD, filing the complaint.

Please keep us updated with their response -

@waynesworldtx

It is quite amazing that the FORD sound system engineers completely missed this on their checklist.

Suggest that you follow through and contact FORD, filing the complaint.

Please keep us updated with their response -
I don't know how many members listen to AM radio but there are only 4 here who have reported this issue. It can't be a widespread issue and not all 2020's seem to be affected.

Peter

I don't know how many members listen to AM radio but there are only 4 here who have reported this issue. It can't be a widespread issue and not all 2020's seem to be affected.

Peter

Regardless - it would be great to see if anyone get FORD to actually fix it and hopefully pass on the solution for the record to the forum.

Did anyone ask about pulsing interference noise on AM stations ?

@waynesworldtx

Hi Wayne!
Since this subject started being discussed, I haven't read anybody getting this fixed by FORD, or having discovered a fix on their own.
In your previous postings you've indicated that you were going to bring this up with your dealer.
What did their Service Department say about the condition?
Other than that, how's the Aviator doing now that you've put some miles on it?

Pulsating Noise on AM Radio Thread & Video Link: Pulsating static on AM radio only when moving

I have the same problem with AM radio in my 2020 Explorer Limited pulsing static when moving. Sadly the "electronics" tech doesn't get it when I explain it to him and since all the other 2020 explorers on the lot do it it isn't a problem. Car has been in the shop 3 days a week for 2 weeks now and they finally told me that "AM radio is only good for about 50 miles the the reception deteriorates and becomes only static. I listen to the same radio station in my 2019 Ranger up to 250 miles away. Our 2016 Explorer Limited was good up to about 250 miles on the same radio stations. Going to see how far up the Ford chain I can push this. Sad to have a 50,000 dollar radio that doesn't work.

I have the same problem with AM radio in my 2020 Explorer Limited pulsing static when moving. Sadly the "electronics" tech doesn't get it when I explain it to him and since all the other 2020 explorers on the lot do it it isn't a problem. Car has been in the shop 3 days a week for 2 weeks now and they finally told me that "AM radio is only good for about 50 miles the the reception deteriorates and becomes only static. I listen to the same radio station in my 2019 Ranger up to 250 miles away. Our 2016 Explorer Limited was good up to about 250 miles on the same radio stations. Going to see how far up the Ford chain I can push this. Sad to have a 50,000 dollar radio that doesn't work.

I too have this problem and I think all 20 Explorers do. The problem occurs only when driving so I believe it has to do with the module that deals with distance control. This issue is the module is creating interference that is being picked up by the AM antenna or is being induced on the power line. When the AM radio signal being received is stronger than the module signal the interference goes away. This has to be a hardware fix of some kind either better grounding or shielding.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
They charged you $50,000 for the radio?? I hope they threw the vehicle in for free for that price.;)
The Ranger has a different antenna. I wonder if that makes the difference. Although your current antenna looks the same as the one on the 2016, the difference is that now you have the GPS antenna incorporated into it as well. On the 2016, the GPS antenna was under the dash.

Peter

Does the static freq raise and lower with engine RPM?

Does the static freq raise and lower with engine RPM?
No, the static is not related to engine speed. The static noise is rhythmic. It comes and goes in rising and falling bursts about every 3 seconds. But only when the vehicle is in motion. The noise disappears when stopped at a red light or stop sign.

No, the static is not related to engine speed. The static noise is rhythmic. It comes and goes in rising and falling bursts about every 3 seconds. But only when the vehicle is in motion. The noise disappears when stopped at a red light or stop sign.
Do you drive with the Auto Stop/Start on, or do you deselect this feature after engine start?

Do you drive with the Auto Stop/Start on, or do you deselect this feature after engine start?

I always deselect the Auto Start/Stop "feature" immediately after starting my Explorer. Thus, Auto Start/Stop is disabled and the Explorer's engine is idling when the vehicle is stopped. That's when the rhythmic static also stops while listening to an AM radio broadcast. Once moving again, the static reappears.

I thought if might be related to RFI (radio frequency interference) from overhead wires, but the static happens everywhere. It doesn't matter if I'm in a congested downtown neighborhood or out in the country, miles from civilization. That tells me the source of the static has to be something within the Explorer.

Edited to correct inaccuracy.

You are contradicting yourself in post 32 and 34 as to when the static starts/stops. ;)

Peter

You are contradicting yourself in post 32 and 34 as to when the static starts/stops. ;)

Peter

You are correct, Peter! My mistake. The static happens when the Explorer is in motion (i.e., most of the time). The static stops when the vehicle is stationary. I should have referred to the title of this thread!

Thank you for pointing this out. I have edited Post 32 to correct the inaccuracy.

@waynesworldtx

Hi Wayne!
Since this subject started being discussed, I haven't read anybody getting this fixed by FORD, or having discovered a fix on their own.
In your previous postings you've indicated that you were going to bring this up with your dealer.
What did their Service Department say about the condition?
Other than that, how's the Aviator doing now that you've put some miles on it?

Pulsating Noise on AM Radio Thread & Video Link: Pulsating static on AM radio only when moving
Howdy !
Our service manager had no answer to the pitiful AM radio reception on our 2020 Aviator (apparently no one else has complained to him, probably because they don't use AM frequency. The car now has approx. 5500 miles on it and is still performing fine except for a few cabin rattles sources that I am searching for - nothing serious, but I cannot stand rattles and squeaks !! Hopefully, Lincoln will be able to come up with a simple fix for the radio reception problem...

Thanks,
Wayne

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy !
Our service manager had no answer to the pitiful AM radio reception on our 2020 Aviator (apparently no one else has complained to him, probably because they don't use AM frequency. The car now has approx. 5500 miles on it and is still performing fine except for a few cabin rattles sources that I am searching for - nothing serious, but I cannot stand rattles and squeaks !! Hopefully, Lincoln will be able to come up with a simple fix for the radio reception problem...

Thanks,
Wayne

Thanks for the update @waynesworldtx

Since you've gone the Dealer Service Route, perhaps now's the time to find out who the regional service manager is and escalate the issue - just for the record so to speak?!?!

Back