Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

All the old Fords that are still running are up here in the PNW!! I had never seen so many OBS trucks, all the 4 door OBS Fords are up here still driving around. You do not see any Toyota tacomas because they just don't break

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it turned a 20 minute drive into 2 hours so...

Something I've been noticing here is there are a lot, I mean a lot, of older Ford trucks in yards. There is a bunch of big Broncos that must have had driveline issues when parked because the bodies are in great shape. No rust of course, but not wrecked. Bunch of 60's to 80's trucks. Lots of Rangers. This is truck country, but I didn't realize it's Ford truck country. It's one of those places where even the rich dudes drive trucks, just King Ranch diesels or the like. Mostly Fords, then GM and Dodges. Very few Tacomas.
And lots of folks here and other Rust Belt areas with good running trucks with shot frames/bodies from rust.
All the old Fords that are still running are up here in the PNW!! I had never seen so many OBS trucks, all the 4 door OBS Fords are up here still driving around. You do not see any Toyota tacomas because they just don't break
Cool! But what is OBS? No mods here, not familiar with the term

old body style, refers to the Ford F150-350 up to 97

The dry weather here preserves the body, but plays hell with paint and interiors, and dries out rubber.

It rained here last night and this morning.

The dry weather here preserves the body, but plays hell with paint and interiors, and dries out rubber.

It rained here last night and this morning.
it rained there too? rained here too, not much though. nice change. sun and heat doesnt play well with our rigs! :( gotta have a larger garage to accommodate these, then it aint so bad!

It's been scattered showers today. Big, spaced-out drops for 10-15 minutes at a time. You can see them coming a long ways off. 18% humidity and 90*, the moisture is fleeting.

It's been scattered showers today. Big, spaced-out drops for 10-15 minutes at a time. You can see them coming a long ways off. 18% humidity and 90*, the moisture is fleeting.
here it was a bit warm and raining off & on at the same time! swamp butt out in LA 🤣 wasnt super bad, but wasnt great either.

I also saw on my travels yesterday a metal building with several Baja Bugs behind it. It's about a mile away. If those are still there after I start building, I might have to go see if I can get one. I had two of them, one was my first car that belonged to my Dad, the other
Dad and I built when I worked as a yard/parts monkey for a off road race shop when I was 16.

They built racing buggies and after running a desert race they would discard all kinds of cool stuff. I got lots of shocks, an entire front clip of tube with attached full cage, a blown 1835 engine that only needed one cylinder replaced, body panels, lights, tires, etc. The pay was bad, but the stuff was worth it.

Built a Baja Bug out of a 56 canopy top, which would be sacrilege today. Bought it with no engine or interior for a few hundred, cut it up the next day. Had that one for a few years then my sister rolled it when a dog ran out in front of her. I let her borrow it because her car was inop. It was destroyed and I never built another one.Then I wrecked my Dad's, we built another one out of a 65. He eventually sold his and got a Samauri. Always wanted another one, or a fiberglass dune buggie. One of my earliest memories is of my dad bench pressing a VW engine onto a transaxle of our red metal flake dune buggy while I started the nuts. I was 8 or 9. Right about the same time he taught me to drive it.

Went east on I40 to Seligman, then back on R66 to Hackberry Rd. Took the same off road cut across I did last week, but took a wrong turn. Ended up on a really cool off road trail that ended on the frontage road to the RV park. Took an extra hour, but the scenery was outstanding.
20220626_193537.jpg

20220626_191516.jpg

20220626_191224.jpg

20220626_190755.jpg

On the way out to Seligman, I went by a friend's property he has in the mountains 30 miles east of Kingman. He thinks he's a Comedian.
20220626_151522.jpg

20220626_160526.jpg

Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again

Those sure are some lonely-looking roads...

How awesome that must be!!! :thumbsup:

My name is Ian . If you need some help and someone that has alot of skills and loves the heat my explorer and i would gladly assit you in any endeavor. I am an electrician by trade so solar could be of help. Anyway like all before me i am a jack of trades after being a sparky and looking for adventure/ quietness. Place to really experience. Many reference to my character if needed im in st george. 321/541/5201. If any ?'s

Rt 66 street drags May 19-21 2023.

I changed "one more thing" with the plans. I changed the wall between the master and the walk in closet to not go fully to the ceiling. They call it a half wall, but its more like a 3/4 wall. Let's light in while still maintaining privacy. Unique feature that's in my current house and I like it. Designer liked it as well. He's making it into a house, should be done with the plans in a few weeks. Then my contractor is going to get bids so he can give me a price.

I got the finished plans!!
Kennedy-KENNEDY A3.jpg

I was worried about how the house would look from the outside until I saw the Elevations. I think it's going to look very cool and unique. The shop doesn't look overwhelming with the opposing roof lines. I was also concerned with the height of the roof of the house portion, but I think it will look awesome up on that hill framed by those mountains. Contractor made nine copies so he can get an overall cost estimate worked up. All these years I have always wanted a practical house with an attached shop/garage. Some cool and unique features are the giant shower in the master, the 12x12' covered porch outside the shop work area door, 14x70' covered front porch. All ceilings except for the laundry are going to vaulted starting at 9' up to 14' in the great room. Laundry will be 9' and all the HVAC, instant water heaters, electrical hubs, cable, Wi-Fi, etc., will all be above the ceiling to save space, with access from the shop area. That was my idea and the designer liked it. It's in the middle of the house, easy to get too, and there is a bunch of space up there to work with. Contractor says the expenses with this design compared to a "normal" house will be the trusses. Will also need an engineer to look at the plans because of the 16' high shop walls, a requirement in Mohave County.

The door you can see from the front in the plans is actually a side door to the shop. It won't be visible like in the plans, just the sliding doors and the patio. Future plans call for a rectangular pool in front of the patio. Dirt guy is going to rip all the rocks out of that area down to 8-9' while he is making the pad so it will be easy digging.

Comments appreciated.

Kennedy-KENNEDY A4a.jpg

Kennedy-KENNEDY A4.jpg

Kennedy-KENNEDY E1.jpg

I got the finished plans!!
View attachment 433427

I was worried about how the house would look from the outside until I saw the Elevations. I think it's going to look very cool and unique. The shop doesn't look overwhelming with the opposing roof lines. I was also concerned with the height of the roof of the house portion, but I think it will look awesome up on that hill framed by those mountains. Contractor made nine copies so he can get an overall cost estimate worked up. All these years I have always wanted a practical house with an attached shop/garage. Some cool and unique features are the giant shower in the master, the 12x12' covered porch outside the shop work area door, 14x70' covered front porch. All ceilings except for the laundry are going to vaulted starting at 9' up to 14' in the great room. Laundry will be 9' and all the HVAC, instant water heaters, electrical hubs, cable, Wi-Fi, etc., will all be above the ceiling to save space, with access from the shop area. That was my idea and the designer liked it. It's in the middle of the house, easy to get too, and there is a bunch of space up there to work with. Contractor says the expenses with this design compared to a "normal" house will be the trusses. Will also need an engineer to look at the plans because of the 16' high shop walls, a requirement in Mohave County.

The door you can see from the front in the plans is actually a side door to the shop. It won't be visible like in the plans, just the sliding doors and the patio. Future plans call for a rectangular pool in front of the patio. Dirt guy is going to rip all the rocks out of that area down to 8-9' while he is making the pad so it will be easy digging.

Comments appreciated.

View attachment 433429

View attachment 433428

View attachment 433430
looks great!!!!!!!!!! :D

The elevations look great.

When do you plan on starting?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have to get some bids so I can make sure I can afford it first. If that's a go, then as soon as possible. I should be out there in October to figure out exactly where I want the house on the property, then get the permits pulled. I have a good idea where it needs to sit but need to mark it out before the dirt work starts.

Back