Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

Googling beer keg urinal

I just pee outside no urinal needed! Closest neighbor is 2 miles and he’s not allowed back here lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peeing outside was the plan until I saw a picture of a beer keg urinal. Then my buddy offered to make me one since he was making one for his shop.
51k5qMuQhDL.jpg

Isn't that what some beers are made from?

Good to have buddies!!

Another delay with the dirt work. The dirt guy's transport is being repaired. He says there will be a excavator, a 950 loader, a D6 and a 2,000 gallon water truck here by Friday. Dirt work guy says it will take 3-4 days to do the initial leveling, then 3-4 more to make it pretty and compact/certify the pad. He is also going to blade the entire road (my one-time gift to the neighbors), and he agreed to blade one of my neighbor's driveways for free after seeing what a mess it is. I will stop by the other three houses on the road over the weekend to let them know.

He shortened the time he needs for this job by bringing everything out at once. He needs to do this job faster so he can try and catch up with his scheduling. Better for me. I'll camp on the property until Monday morning because I really like it here, and to keep an eye on the equipment. Monday I'll move into a RV Park in town because I'll be in the way, it will be very noisy/dusty, and it's finally warming up a little too much for dry camping.

This time I'll be staying at Zuni Village. Good rates, clean wide pull through spots, 20 minutes from my property. I haven't stayed there before so this will be a test. Have stayed at Blake Ranch, which is the nicest RV park in the area. Nice people, wide spaces, nice views, but its a 45 minute drive to the property and I'll be going there daily. Also have stayed at the Kingman KOA. Nice people, rates are a little higher than everywhere else, and the spaces are very tight with tall oleanders on both sides. I had to park the RV at a angle to open both slides and had to squeeze through the plants to get to the door. Very claustrophobic.

I'm learning that in construction, there is always something slowing down progress. Good reason to hire a good contractor. Also a good reason to buy your own equipment and what you can yourself. Then, you have the equipment. By buying your own equipment, I don't mean excavators and dozers, I mean a backhoe or similar that can be used regularly.

I did mention to the dirt work guy I might need him again. Daughter might build a house here, then would need another house pad, a barn pad, and a dressage size arena graded. He said he's not going anywhere, been her his entire life. He also said he could do the initial arena grading and compacting, then I should finish it myself. Said my big backhoe would be just fine for the bedding layers needed for a good arena, and all I would need is a spreader/leveling attachment that I could also use on a lot of other projects. My rancher part time dirt work buddy can do the barn pad, driveways and a round pen, but for anything bigger he doesn't have the equipment or the time.

I was thinking of doing owner/builder for the house, but it will just take too long to get the house finished. I can do a lot of the work myself, I've got friends that would help, but it will just take too long. If your a owner/builder, your last in line for subcontractors, concrete, etc., because your not, and never will be, a regular customer. I am going to use my contractor buddy as the builder. He will give me a real good rate and his finish work is outstanding. He has access to the best subs, and can get a better deal on materials.

I thought about having the plumbing, electrical, concrete, framing, HVAC, etc., all done through him and finishing it myself, but the savings isn't there for the year plus it will probably take me. I can make the money spent on him back in 7-8 months by backing him on another spec house, which I'll be doing in any case until they stop being profitable. Contractor is currently re-bidding the entire job and I haven't paid him a dime yet.

Delays suck! Summer is short (or long and hot) depending on location

Just keep plugging away

Backhoes are nice and can move a lot of dirt! Like a dozer and excavator in one. I have a small tractor compact dozer and small excavator capable of alot… then there is my buddy who has a 65 horse tracked skid steer w cab…. Now that machine can just about do it all and way faster and way more comfy

I think I could sell all of my stuff and get by with the skidsteer… hindsight!

Decisions decisions!!

I think a mini-excavator or a backhoe would be the best all around for a individual with a little land. Every ranch has at least one backhoe. A skid steer would be nice because of all the available attachments. Not as practical as a backhoe or ex, but handy. The ditching and digging attachments don't work very well from what I understand, especially here with all the rocks. Even small backhoes don't work well here because the rocks can be large.

I think a mini-excavator or a backhoe would be the best all around for a individual with a little land. Every ranch has at least one backhoe. A skid steer would be nice because of all the available attachments. Not as practical as a backhoe or ex, but handy. The ditching and digging attachments don't work very well from what I understand, especially here with all the rocks. Even small backhoes don't work well here because the rocks can be large.
Excavator would be nice to have.

So you can keep tabs on auction pricing for equipment... (just for reference)
JD 35D Excavator - Auction

The plans look amazing, can't wait to see how it finally turns out!

Mine is a 1998 Takeuchi TB035, 35 hp, 3 cyl yanmar turbo
I paid $14K for it and then did alot of work to it, parts are semi cheap really. I resealed the injection pump, cleaned out the cooling stack, added E fan and some led lights....fixed a leaky turbo oil line. replaced all the rollers in the undercarriage, all new filters, fluids, etc. On year two replaced both final drives and hoses ($3600). I rebuild the joystick hydraulics, O rings and copper washers....... I think my machine spent some time at the bottom of a lake based on all the sand that was packed in there. Takeuchi makes a heck of a machine, Japanese.

I am planning to build a hydraulic thumb, although I have gotten by well with the manual thumb it has. I found it on Craigslist after a 3 month search. I knew zero about them when I bought it, now I speak mini Ex and I can have a track off and on in about 2 hours by myself. 35HP is about the minimum I would buy..... the newer machines are way more powerful, but also double the cost. I could sell it now for 1.5 what I paid for it, demand is way higher now since everyone is going rural and fleeing the cities. the Tak can lift about 800# with the boom extended and it can dig 11'-6" straight down has about a 14' reach.
If you get a backhoe try to get an Extend a hoe, they can reach way further and dig way deeper.

Buddies bobcat has no issue moving dirt around, what I did with my dozer in about 2 weeks (digging a pond) he accomplished in about 30 minutes..... his bobcat is heavy and he has like 15 attachments his bucket can dig and move dirt....the bobcat just scoots around so quickly. I spent 2 weeks digging up a HUGE cedar stump with my ex and dozer...his stump puller attachment can do that in about an hour, and dig a giant hole to bury it in

IMG_5311.JPG

this was early in the property cleanup...that area is all grass now and I have a 14K dump trailer
Work smarter not harder!
My favorite machine is the mini ex by far!
no that's not me, I took the pic, my neighbor was the operator, schooling me on how to run one

Mine is a 1998 Takeuchi TB035, 35 hp, 3 cyl yanmar turbo
I paid $14K for it and then did alot of work to it, parts are semi cheap really. I resealed the injection pump, cleaned out the cooling stack, added E fan and some led lights....fixed a leaky turbo oil line. replaced all the rollers in the undercarriage, all new filters, fluids, etc. On year two replaced both final drives and hoses ($3600). I rebuild the joystick hydraulics, O rings and copper washers....... I think my machine spent some time at the bottom of a lake based on all the sand that was packed in there. Takeuchi makes a heck of a machine, Japanese.

I am planning to build a hydraulic thumb, although I have gotten by well with the manual thumb it has. I found it on Craigslist after a 3 month search. I knew zero about them when I bought it, now I speak mini Ex and I can have a track off and on in about 2 hours by myself. 35HP is about the minimum I would buy..... the newer machines are way more powerful, but also double the cost. I could sell it now for 1.5 what I paid for it, demand is way higher now since everyone is going rural and fleeing the cities. the Tak can lift about 800# with the boom extended and it can dig 11'-6" straight down has about a 14' reach.
If you get a backhoe try to get an Extend a hoe, they can reach way further and dig way deeper.

Buddies bobcat has no issue moving dirt around, what I did with my dozer in about 2 weeks (digging a pond) he accomplished in about 30 minutes..... his bobcat is heavy and he has like 15 attachments his bucket can dig and move dirt....the bobcat just scoots around so quickly. I spent 2 weeks digging up a HUGE cedar stump with my ex and dozer...his stump puller attachment can do that in about an hour, and dig a giant hole to bury it in

View attachment 442733

this was early in the property cleanup...that area is all grass now and I have a 14K dump trailer
Work smarter not harder!
My favorite machine is the mini ex by far!
no that's not me, I took the pic, my neighbor was the operator, schooling me on how to run one
Operating one is like riding a bike. Watching the guys that can pickup a beer bottle with the jaws is impressive

My view changed a little. Excavator coming tomorrow. This is a D6T XM, about 65,000 pounds. It's wider than the road in a few spots, but not for long...
20230615_103509.jpg

20230615_141327.jpg

This is a small town. The delivery driver bought the house my contractor built before we built our spec house. I looked at it before deciding to go into business. Same house, about a mile away. Nice guy. We stood looking at each other trying to figure out where we met before, then he realized it was at the spec house. He took some pallets there the roofers left on his property after closing. Contractor told him he could drop them off at the spec house. I was in town and went to check on progress and saw him, asked what the hell he was doing because it looked like I just caught someone illegal dumping. We had a good laugh.

This Cat is impressive. Too bad they took the keys. :cool:
20230615_180930.jpg

20230615_180826.jpg

I haven't been able to climb around on one of these before. The windshield is tiny and blocked by the intake and exhaust so the operator would have to be looking out the doors. Note to self, never stand in front of one of these.

I love the ROPS, you roll a d6 over your having too much fun
I’ve been operating the tak for 4 years now you get to where it is like an extension of yourself, mini ex can be very very precise

Wanna borrow my equipment keys? :)

I could play on the 950

oh mama! Daddy like
Keep the pics coming
pretty sure a bronco II could fit in that bucket

Yes I really do. I could get the rest of what I want to do here
It's scary that I have equipment keys and the fact all manufacturers pretty much key everything thing alike.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dirt work company uses a different company to deliver equipment. Says he doesn't have a reason to get his own rig, trailer and driver since he is a local company. The delivery driver used his keys to drive the equipment, said they are all the same. They parked the excavator down by the highway overnight.

Back