Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

Noticed the tractor has a leak. Checked all the fluids, they all looked new/fresh. The trans is low, but still on the stick. Power steering could use a little as well. Crawled under and it appears the new trans filter is leaking. Nice clean fluid dripping from around the filter. Should be a easy fix. Local Napa has the filter, Tractor Supply has the fluid. Every moving part except for the engine and hydraulics takes the same NH 134D fluid.

I finished the water damage repairs. Should be good until the house is done. I dug out some the back edge of the pad where it's sloped down for drainage. It was more for practice, but I did need some dirt for filling in part of the damaged driveway. Eventually, where I was digging will be turned into a rock covered ramp to allow access to a large flat area about 5' below. I dug up a loader bucket full, then separated the larger rocks into a different pile using the hoe. Getting the hang of it slowly.

410 got me looking at cordless grease guns. It doesn't take much to get me to tool shop. I am a fan of Ridgid's cordless 18 volt stuff. Looking through Home Depot selection the tool alone is $159. That's seems reasonable. Then I see a special buy on a 2 battery and charger kit, get the tool for free. It's a 6ah and a 4ah battery, charger and a carry bag, plus the grease gun, for $179.

Add to cart.

Should be shipped to the Kingman HD by next week.

I'll probably get the trans filter and a bucket of NH 134 Monday, maybe some hydraulic fluid to top that off. Thinking next week I'll do some ditch digging on the lower parcel between the well to the easement. It's softer soil down there. Good place to start. I should be out here until right before Thanksgiving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Signal was too weak to upload pictures yesterday but the sunset was pretty wild.
20231027_174916.jpg

20231027_175004.jpg

Spent some time with the leaking trans fluid. I replaced the filter, added about a gallon of Universal Tractor Fluid (UTF). Trans holds almost six gallons. Started it up and it's still leaking. Turns out, it was the O-rings where the hard lines come into the filter housing. Pulled it all apart, cleaned up the mess, scored some new O-rings from the hot rod guy neighbor and got it back together. It's not leaking there now.

The culprit
20231030_123742.jpg

So you got a new project "vehicle" to go along with a new house build? ;)

Hahahahaha oh baby
I bought a 83 case dozer then I got my hands on 98 Takeuchi tb035 track hoe that looked like it had sat underwater for a month… some repairs are easy some take weeks and thousands (final drives on tak and all hoses and lines that was a fun one) ! The 84 John Deere I have has only ever needed fluid changes and tires. Right now in the shop we have a friends 97 deer 7775 skid steer the hydraulic fluid tank is leaking. We plan to patch it with epoxy but first we have to REMOVE the cab… so we are taking another bobcat over there to do the heavy lifting.
Heavy equip is a whole different world! I love diesels and tools
What these machines can do for us… they become an extension of yourself. They are challenging to work on and parts are expensive! I had radiator
Mount come loose on dozer in winter wiped out radiator. Removed radiator took to town (2 hours) went back next day they fixed radiator $600 put back in machine forgot to bend fan blade back straight started maxhine wiped out radiator. Removed, back to town, shop felt bad for me and did the repair for free! (Bypassed one row, patch job) I went back down there and insisted the dude took my money, he refused.. they are so nice at that radiator shop. While he was carrying my radiator out to my truck I stuffed $200 in his shirt pocket! They have a customer for
Life…. They saved the day

Me too!! School of hard knocks
All of my machines are on heavy equipment forum, those guys have been so helpful. I have a build thread for dozer and Takeuchi on there. I would be up sh87 creek without those dudes

Even my military turbo diesel generator has its own built thread at steelsoldiers.com

Wealth of knowledge out there is absolutely incredible

Get back for what we give here on ef!

If you have not done it yet consider putting your new ford machine on tractorbynet or heavy equipment forums

I'm starting at zero for my knowledge base of tractors and diesel engines. Learning as I go.
Old diesel engines are pretty easy to work on.

Fuel tank is leaking from the bottom. Slow dripping off what appears to be a old epoxy repair. I can get the cover off and pull the tank. Then repair it or take it in for repair. The problem is I have to drain the 20 gallons of red diesel into something else first. Am going into town to see if I can find a portable transfer tank, maybe at Tractor Supply. Something I can use later. I don't have any other diesel powered vehicles to transfer into.

Major repairs can be a pain when your limited by what you can fit into an RV.

If you don't find a tank today, I would be in the area tomorrow at about 5am. Fuel looks green in the dark

I bought 4, 5 gallon containers at TSC for $18 each, and I have a HF transfer pump in the RV. I can transport the empty containers back to San Diego in the back of the Explorer, or store them in the loader. I should get the fuel out today, and then take the tractor apart. It doesn't look to terrible. I think the hardest part will be removing the exhaust to get the engine cover off.

Drained the tank, got about 18 gallons out of it. Pulled the engine cover off. It's 13 bolts, the 3 rear top bolts are into a flange on the tank. I couldn't get the exhaust to separate below the muffler, but the extension above it wiggled off easily. Pulled the cover off over the muffler. Two more bolts on the side of the tank and the tank is out. It appears to be a recent repair, but it's hard to tell with desert vehicles. No rust. A radiator shop in town says they can repair it, dropping it off soon.
20231103_130740.jpg
20231103_130612.jpg
20231103_130604.jpg
20231103_130600.jpg

20231103_130747.jpg

Old diesel engines are pretty easy to work on.
My advice for a novice like me is to buy a service manual. They are available for just about everything. The one I got even shows how to adjust the valves, service the injectors and fuel system, etc. It has basic operation and a bunch of different techniques for using the loader and hoe. Very detailed.

Well done! Josh wants your red diesel lol
Once red is in your fuel system they can always find signs of it in there if they look hard enough.

Luckily diesel
Does not require expensive gas containers it is not nearly as combustible as gasoline

Service manuals are a must have, the factory ones, not a Chilton.

I'm having a issue I've never had here before. Giant yellow paper wasps keep trying to nest on the RV. Never even seen them here before this trip. I saw a bunch around the rear camera housing. I sprayed the housing with Deep Woods Off because I don't have any bug killer. At least ten crawled out of the slot in the housing. I taped off the slot to keep them out.

Today, I see one crawling into the closed living room window awning. I pull it open and about 10 fly off. They continue to circle around and look for places to nest. They dont seem agressive, but I want to deter them from nesting on the RV. There are way too many places for them to set up residency. I would not want to open a battery box or crawl under the coach and upset a nest full of them.

I think the only solution is to go on a giant wasp killing spree. Heading into town tomorrow to get some industrial strength bug killer that has some hang time and won't damage the finish.

What scent or smell keeps wasps away? Wasps have a strong sense of smell and dislike certain plants like peppermint, spearmint, basil, eucalyptus, cloves, geranium, thyme, citronella, bay leaves, and lemongrass. They are also repelled by vinegar, cinnamon, coffee grounds, and sliced cucumber.

What scent or smell keeps wasps away? Wasps have a strong sense of smell and dislike certain plants like peppermint, spearmint, basil, eucalyptus, cloves, geranium, thyme, citronella, bay leaves, and lemongrass. They are also repelled by vinegar, cinnamon, coffee grounds, and sliced cucumber.
I did the same Google search. I'm going to stop at one of the many feed stores in town and talk to them. Probably get some natural pet fly spray. My daughter uses some kind of peppermint and eucalyptus oil spray on the horses. I could spray that on the places I think they will try and nest. If it doesn't stain clothes, it should be fine for the RV gel coat, plastic and awning material. Then get a bottle of liquid death wasp killer if that doesn't work. I need to go into town tomorrow to pick up my new cordless powered grease gun and a few tubes of grease.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A local friend says the wasps are looking for places to hibernate for the winter. They are not nesting right now, but that is why they are so active. I'll try deterence before extermination.

Back