Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchased 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

I've got a 8x18' shed that's full. The back half is Explorer body panels and furniture. The front half is mostly tools. The furniture will go into the new house, but I really don't want to clutter up the new garage with stuff I hopefully won't need. The plastic shed won't survive the weather there so a container would do nicely.

@Rick where did you get your container?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed 8 of those brass scone lights at my buddies shop…. And those are the same lights we put on the back of our addition

Very popular right now lol
E7CE4CB5-463D-429C-8CF2-923C8B6D1867.jpeg

@Rick where did you get your container?

Local Craigslist ad. It was a one tripper in perfect condition. There is a place between me and Wickenburg that keeps some in stock and delivers. Their prices are largely determined by how far they have to travel from the ports in LA.

Bury the container so only the entrance is visible
Park hoe in front of doors
Makes it a bit harder to cut a lock and gain entry

Shipping containers make wonderful sheds
Can get with high roofs (9’-6”) and 40’ long! They used to be $1500 now closer to $4500 for a 40’ high cube still weather tight… thanks to the “Prepper” movement they are all the rage…. I built a large carport (lean to) for all our parts storage and next I am planning to build 3 root cellars into the side of our hill… can keep engines/ transmissions/ sortable food, etc in those suckers year around plus would be safe if a wildfire rips through here

I think the state is still selling those containers that they used for the border wall but the federal government made them remove.

I think the state is still selling those containers that they used for the border wall but the federal government made them remove.
The surplus auction site mentions that they are heavily used and may have cracks, holes, large dents, etc. They might be a bargain, but maybe not.

I could see eventually having two, 20' containers with a car port in between for trailers and the backhoe, but that's not for a while. I think I'll shop for one when the house build starts, but now I'm on a budget.

The surplus auction site mentions that they are heavily used and may have cracks, holes, large dents, etc. They might be a bargain, but maybe not.
I've looked at some of them, it's just like finding a used car on Craigslist. Find the prettiest one at the lowest price.

I'm struggling with exterior colors. I can't visualize the colors on the plans. Does anyone know of free software that I can import and colorize pdf plans?

I was going to go with a off white, but the contractor said lighter colors get quickly stained with dust, so will be going with a darker earth tone that will let the stained peeler posts and timber truss stand out. Can't see it in my head.

I might have to go old school, print out a couple pages and get out the drawing pencil sets.

Still looking for software I can import my pdf build plans and colorize them, but in the meantime I'm going to dig out my kid's colored pencils.

Was talking to the contractor about the house and taxes came up. It's impressive how many different ways I get taxed just to build a house.

I pay taxes on my income. I have to pay property tax. I had to pay taxes on the design work. I have to pay for a building permit to build on land I own. I have to pay taxes on materials and labor. Then the county taxes me for the total cost of the house, minus the cost of the land and getting utilities to the house. After the house is built, I'll have to pay increased property taxes for the privilege of owning a house.

That's my money being taxed at least six times before I can enjoy the house.

Still looking for software I can import my pdf build plans and colorize them, but in the meantime I'm going to dig out my kid's colored pencils.
We use Bluebeam Revu (version 2018) here at work for all the construction plans we deal with. Best way to describe it: it's like Paint but for PDF files. Lots of functions including scaling drawings and making accurate measurements. Since we already have it here at work, I do not know costs for the program, but I'm assuming it is licensed.

Then there are the fees……

Here’s the latest battle from north Idaho

Our homeowners was cancelled, we are higher risk because in woods off grid hard access no fire dept response.
We paying the banks provided insurance on our 85k mortgage almost 1100 a month instead of $2500 a year. We finally get a policy written in October paid in full…phew
Well two days ago they contact us we are up for cancellation
Why?
No stairs on our slider door.
Why? Because I have $3500 worth of treated lumber outside ready to build a huge deck (with stairs of course)
They give us 5 days to build stairs
No barricade no ramp must be stairs w railings.
So drop everything move snow
Build stairs

There is 3’ of snow
At least it’s not -20 anymore

Will be finished two days ahead of the 5 day period

Sheesh man
If they won’t renew then we have to go for state provided insurance $$$$$$$
Fingers crossed!
$400 in materials
We built them Re usable for the new deck
Sport tracs can haul some
Materials!

That is all

5314FB0A-EC44-4ECF-A923-D5DA90976247.jpeg

Well two days ago they contact us we are up for cancellation
Why?
No stairs on our slider door.
Why? Because I have $3500 worth of treated lumber outside ready to build a huge deck (with stairs of course)
They give us 5 days to build stairs
No barricade no ramp must be stairs w railings.
So drop everything move snow
Build stairs

I feel your pain. When we bought our house in '12 moved in February. 5 days later we receive a letter that we were being canceled because no railing on part of deck. Call them to ask why? It was that way when we purchased it. They gave me 5 days to fix it. I get it, the highest part was just over 2' but damn.

I was worried about being able to insure the house after its finished. There have been two brush fires within a few miles in as many years there. I have AAA for house, cars and a personal liability policy, but they don't operate in that area so I will be forced to look elsewhere. Neighbors and the contractor said there is no problem getting insured and the low claim rates in the area will keep premiums low. The contractor has a comprehensive policy to cover everything until the house is finished.

We finally got the septic perk test guy to go out there so we can apply for the build permit. Then, the escrow account manager is dragging her feet and hasn't sent me the link to sign the contracts. It's only been a month. Contractor is paying out of his pocket to get things moving until I get a account set up and can wire the first draw. This is a new escrow company because the last one kept making mistakes, but it's not looking much better.

I know it's been a few years since I've been to Kingman... at least 25 years. But I don't recall much vegetation beside a juniper here and there. With your images are you north towards Hualapai? It's really just curiosity. I always took a cutoff from 93 at Wickiup to Yucca. Didn't save any time but you would feel like you were desert racing. :tanranger:

My property is 16 miles north of I-40 off Stockton Hill Rd. It's in the Cerbat Mountains. The area around Kingman is high desert. There is as much grass and trees as thorny stuff. Directly behind the property are mountains, forest, and its all a wild horse sanctuary. A lot like Southern California mountains without all the people. Brush fires are a real danger there. The Hualapais are south of I-40 and south of Kingman. Kingman city has the Cerbats to the west, and the Peacocks to the east. Northeast are the Music Mountains. Lake Meade is due north past Red Lake (dry).

After the house is finished, my dirt work buddy is going to clean up the driveway and pad. Then he's going to grade an old easement road to the south and create a new fire road across the back of the property.

This is about a mile directly east and at least 1,000' higher from the property on a old mine road. All trees and heavy brush.
20230608_155702.jpg

I got a email a few minutes ago for the escrow account signing and wiring instructions. Septic guy confirmed he is going out next week to do the perk test. The build permit should be submitted as soon as the perk test passes. I'm finally doing it, building my house on my land. This is going to be a good year.

Just an FYI it's a perc test. Short for percolation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My homeowners insurance went from $800 a year to $1,000 then to $1,600. Then they demanded I replace my roof within 30 days or they would cancel me. I switched to state farm, they canceled me cause I'm enclosing my carport into a garage and I had plywood on a exterior wall that was built the day before they came out to take pictures. They also said my roof was in advanced stages of deterioration. I called my mortgage lender and they found a someone that didn't give me a hard time during the inspection. I fixed the roof by peeling the top layer off. The layer underneath looks brand new and doesn't leak. What bothers me the most is I'm only 5 years away from paying the loan off, so I feel as though they are looking for a reason to be a pain in the butt. I've never had a claim, ever.

Back