Purchased a "drone" to carry GoPro 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Purchased a "drone" to carry GoPro 3

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I've been looking at camera carrying helicopters, quadcoptors etc for a few years now. This year I found one that I couldn't resist :D

I purchased the DJI Phantom quadcoptor http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/

which was supposed to be ready to fly out of the box, but like many bleeding edge tech products it needed a firmware update out of the box - which ended up rendering the craft useless until I learned the "trick" to getting the software to work with the hardware after you do the update:confused:

After an hour or more of screwing with all that I did get the craft in the air with ease. I didn't trust the craft, or my own skills, so I tethered it for the first few short flights. First flights were just getting used to launching, hovering and landing.

The tether was a bad idea... When it gets to the end of the line, and it's in GPS mode, the "brain" tries to fight what it probably sees as wind resistance. That brought the coptor down with a crash. I'm very glad I bought the propeller guards! Two of them shattered. I was done for the day.

I've already ordered a new set of prop guards, but in the meantime, I used JB Weld to put the busted pieces back together. Worked great for today's flights.

Here are a couple still pics from the GoPro. The video is being uploaded to YouTube and with my slow upload speed it will be awhile before I post it here.

Attachments

• aerial_backyard.jpg
    aerial_backyard.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 520
  • aerial_rick_clyde2.jpg
    aerial_rick_clyde2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 519
  • aerial_rick_clyde.jpg
    aerial_rick_clyde.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 545

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

jadez03

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 4WD 4.6L V8 Sport Trac
Neat! I've always wanted one of those. How much did the quadracopter run you?

Livernois

Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
That is a interesting way to gather some nice photos and videos!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Upload is finally done:

Check your volume before playing. The motors are loud. Kind of cool hearing it add and subtract power to the individual motors:eek: (edit) I am adding a sound track, but it will take a bit for YouTube to process the music.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Very cool!
I remember the first time I saw this technology. It was on the T-haven bluffs camp a few years ago, and jefe had his plane rigged up with a camera, and we watched ourselves on his laptop as his toy flew above us! Blew my mind!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
This is much higher res, but you can't view the video from the onboard camera... yet ;)

Jefe's setup was really cool. It was great seeing the aerial views from camp. That's why I wanted to pick one up for myself.

DaExplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego Ca / Big Bear Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT SOHC 4x4
I'm impressed even if Clyde doesn't seem too excited.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
But can it deliver packages:p: Looks really clear, can't wait to see footage from the run.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Looks really clear, can't wait to see footage from the run.

I've got a few shots in mind.:thumbsup:

The challenge will be honing my flying skills while trying to keep it intact between now and January :D

Bobmbx

Reaction score
City, State
King George, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

It's fun, and it takes intelligence to use it responsibly.

They will be heavily regulated in no time :(

AbbottK28

Reaction score
City, State
Wyandotte, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I am now obsessed with this tech. Im def picking one up when I have the cash, and I already know what I need to get to set up a transmitting cam on it with a screen mounted on the controls. Have you tried to push the thing a bit yet? Like flight ceiling and top speed/ distance? I plan on picking one up very soon.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I am not interested in pushing it to it's limits of travel only to lose or crash it. I've seen what others can do with theirs, that's enough for me...

The FPV stuff is going to end up getting this tech highly regulated :( People need to be smart about it without regulation.

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
Rick, I have been looking at purchasing one of these for months. I'm interested in the new DJI Phantom 2 vision because it has the pan/tilt built in on their camera. I am a dealer for GoPro but even with buying the GoPro at dealer cost, by the time I purchase the Phantom and the gimbal, it appears to be a bigger investment.

Did you research the use of a gimbal? Do you feel you are getting what you want out of this sans gimbal?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Did you research the use of a gimbal? Do you feel you are getting what you want out of this sans gimbal?

I'll let you know after Truck Haven :D If it survives that trip I may make the investment. I have a hard time justifying upgrades since it's so easily busted/lost.

It is rugged as heck though. I was trying to maneuver it around some bushes in the yard practicing for the notches at Truck Haven. I got snagged in a creosote bush with the props running and it looked like 4 weed wackers going mad. I killed the motors expecting four busted props... No damage other than the props turning green :eek:

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Almost forgot...

I was checking out the comments about the Phantom Vision on the various forums. It looks like it shoots nice video. The cons are that you are locked into the onboard camera, and from what I understand you can't upgrade the radio controls to a Futaba controller which is popular among the Phantom 1.1 owners.

I already had GoPro cams so for me the decision was easy.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

AbbottK28

Reaction score
City, State
Wyandotte, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Yea there will always be idiots who use almost anything irresponsibly.... ruin it for the people who think before they act..